The most character

fogfrog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am curious, of the bourbons you have tasted, which ones have the most character in the taste? Which have the strongest and most tastes?

Thanks,

Paul

Off the top of my head, I'd say that the one I think had the most character was Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, 2002 release. It had a complex flavor and lots of flavor and lots of flavors. But, best of all, those factors came together to give an almost perfect bourbon experience.

Of course, there are many, many top bourbons that I've never had the opportunity to try.

Tim

My three favorites so far are Bookers, OGD 114 and WT RB. I love the color, the warm taste and the flavor of these three. I take real small pours and it takes me quite a while to get through them. I really appreciate the craftsmanship that went into those bottles.

There are some nights, and why it is some nights and not others I cannot yet explain (I just guess my palate has certain moods?) that Peter Jake's Private Keep amazes me. On those nights it has three distinctive levels (entry?, mid-palate?, finish?) first a fruity (?raisin/peach? & apple?) flavor, then a caramel vanilla (apple pie ala mode?) taste, with a woody earthy finish. I am not good at all at picking out distinctive flavors so those are my best interpretations and I just can't explain why some nights this bottle is out of sight and other nights it is just another bourbon.

Other than that I'd say for the most character ORVW 15 and VWFRR 13 always exhibit a lot of different flavors. Oh yeah and you cannot go wrong with George T Stagg...

I think Peter Jakes Private Keep is one fine bourbon. It makes my top 10 list.

Joe

Booker's, Tribute, GTS, Kentucky Spirit. All have wonderfully intense flavors.

Ken

The difference to me between a very good and a great Bourbon is that it also has to stand out from the crowd.

In my view, some of those that pass this test are Baker´s, Old Rip 15yo, WT Kentucky Legend (seems to have completely vanished now), Rock Hill Farms and Evan Williams SB.

Not only do they taste great but there´s no way that you can mistake them for anything else.

I´m not sure if this completely answers your question. EWSB, for instance, hardly qualify for "strongest" taste.

For me, it would be the Hirsch 16 blue wax bottling. I found it a very complex bourbon, almost confounding. I've returned to it a couple of times to get clearer impressions and it just keeps revealing more. I have yet to try the overproof stuff like Stagg, WLW, etc.

-Mike

Most complex for me was Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old. Most distintive and bold flavor I can think of right now is Booker's. Even cut down in proof, it's intense in flavor.

Most complex for me was Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old.

I'll second that, although the 20 year was not far behind.

Joe :usflag:

I'll second that, although the 20 year was not far behind.

Joe :usflag:

Agreed. These are bourbons that demand you take your time. There's just so much there. I wish I had the language to describe the flavors and aromas. I'd be like a poet expressing a beautiful Kentucky sunset. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.