what do you want to try next?

fogfrog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't even believe it myself.....but, I still have not broken open even 1 bottle of Stagg.

Wild Turkey 12-year old, for me.

Prior to that, my "holy grail" bourbon was Rock Hill Farms. I finally obtained a bottle on my trip to Kentucky, last July. It did not disappoint me. :cool:

Tim

Next bottle on my list is Rock Hill Farms. It seems to be pretty well liked and have some pretty good reports, so thats what I am shooting for.

If Stagg were available in WA State that would be #1 on my list to try, for the same reason, people here seem to have a lot of good things to say about it.

I have only tried about 16 bourbons so far and have enjoyed them all to one degree or another. I have 26 bottles (only 6 open) and am going to work through them nice and slow. As money becomes available, I will pick up bottles, mostly due to what I have read here. Just kind of gives me focus on my shopping. My wish list is all bottles I have read about here, the sad part is half of them are not available in WA State. Looks like I have some mail order in my future, but I have enough to try locally I am in no hurry for that yet.

Whats on your wish list fogfrog?

Wild Turkey 12-year old, for me.

Prior to that, my "holy grail" bourbon was Rock Hill Farms. I finally obtained a bottle on my trip to Kentucky, last July. It did not disappoint me. :cool:

Tim

That is the one that I desire myself, WT 12 year that is, probably going to have to trade a bottle of Tribute to get some just so I know. But then again, maybe should OPEN a Tribute and then I may realize that there is not point to getting the 12 when I can get the 15 year Tribute while I can find it and always pick up the 12yr exports later sometime.

And Wayne, you have not lived until you've had Stagg. Drinking that now after ORVW15, and tonite, tonite I say :blush: , the GTS tastes better to me. You'd Never know it was 140+proof, this is truly an unbelievable pour!! :cool:

My next want is EWSB 96 mostly to keep the string alive, but also because I have really enjoyed the progression from year to year. Haven't seen any here yet but it's just a matter of time.

Well, I have to give the same answer as I probably did some 5 years ago : Very Old Barton.

Somehow, elusive seems like an understatement to describe the nature of this Bourbon. Sigh!

I will not give up, though. :)

Still hoping to get:

any VW rye

Saz 6 yr.

Rittenhouse Rye

Elmer T. Lee

Buffalo Trace

AAA

OCPR

All because they are well regarded here and not available to me locally.

Of what I can do, probably should proceed with my historical/vertical OC tasting. Should do a vertical OGD too; would love to do historical on that as well, but now we're back to what I can't get.

Bob

I've been staring at an unopened bottle of Sazerac 18 in my cabinet....

I'll try Jack Daniels, first (Yes, I didn't take even a sip, yet). Then probably Gentlemen Jack for comparision. Ten High Bourbon and a Canadian whisky will follow.

I am in Kentucky tonight and went to the Liquor Store and bought a bottle of Ancient Ancient Age Ten Year Old. I was looking at the Very Old Barton too.

On the shelves of this Liquor Store, the Smoke Shop in Paducah, they have more VOB than any other bourbon. Surprisingly there is tons of VOB in three proofs, 80, 86 and 100 and bottles in 750ML and 1.75 in each strength, Lots Of Them!

I asked the man working there if he knew about Bourbon and he said he thought VOB was well bourbon and probably not something I should consider. He favors Evan Williams Black Label (there was hardly any of it there).

I bought the AAA 10YO and did not buy the VOB, but on the way out the door picked up a half pint of the stuff because I wanted to find out about it. I am drinking it now in the hotel here in Paducah.

I like the VOB (6YO). The half pint I bought was of the 86 proof variety. It is very drinkable. Easy to drink. Very easy to drink I should say. Nothing harsh about it. Not a big nose like the Evan Williams but it is so easy to drink... pretty delightful. I wish I knew how to taste the bourbons and so to compare them.

Not too expensive here, it looks like it varies by proof from 9 and change up to 12 and change depending on the proof.

I think this bourbon is one a person could drink all the time. Not expensive and very good. I prefer it to Jim Beam 7YO. Not complex either though. Tastes a lot like beam to me.

Curious what others think of this stuff. Why is it only in KY?

I've had the good fortune -- particularly in having acquired friends who have and share good bourbon -- of having tried everything mentioned so far, except for the EWSB '96, which hasn't reached Tennessee 'shores' yet. In fact, I think I have all but the Pappy 23 (the original of which I've tasted within the last month. Thanks, Dane!:thankyousign: :yum:) currently in the bunker.

Anyway, I've been looking at this thread since it began, trying to figure out my next 'holy grail'. I guess I'd like to taste the Very Very Old Fitzgerald 12yo BIB just to say I have, but I can't imagine it being any better than a few others I've tried. From a historical perspective, I'd love a taste of Randy's (doubleblank's) 19th Century-distilled Belmont, to note any recognizable difference in the bourbon between then and now. But, the fact is, there are several I'd like to taste AGAIN before I worry about anything new:

• HH/Rittenhouse 20+yo rye
  • Binny's 18yo Lot B
  • that Lawrenceburg Pappy 23
  • 2004 Eagle Rare 17yo (I have several bunkered, but it's so rare I hate to open another one)

Having said all that, there are so many fine, moderately-priced bourbons today that even without the rarities, I'd do quite nicely just plucking a different bottle off a well-stocked shelf whenever the need arises. I hope nobody feels bad being 'stuck' with today's everyday pours. There's a lot of good stuff out there!

It goes without saying that the next whiskey I'd like to try is anything I haven't yet tried :skep:

My current "to buy" bottles include Virginia Gentleman 90, Hirsch 16yo & another bottle of BT. And, like Dane, I'm keeping an eye out for the new '96 Evan Williams Single Barrel.

I want to try the WT Kentucky Legend Single Barrel......because Jon got one for his birthday and it's been sitting here for 11 days with the seal still intact!

Dawn

Iam looking at a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old or the ORVW 15 year Old, they are both lone soldiers and was hoping for a back-up before opening either. Niether one is offered in Utah so they have become collectables and I am not a collector, so (heads) PVW 20 (tails) ORVW 15 the coin is in the air!

"Don't give up, don't ever give up"

Stagg. My wife said that when you consider the high proof, it's a pretty good value. Same as the argument on another thread, but she came up with it.

I also need to try some of the Van Winkle whiskies.

I'll get there.

Fog,

VOB isn't only in KY, but the only VOB I've seen in GA is 90 proof. Search some older threads; I think the concensus is that the 4 proof levels are pretty consistent except for the proof. I also seem to recall that someone said VOB is KY's biggest selling brand, which would make sense to me; the 90 is $9 here. Have to go well up in $ to find anything better. A "well" bourbon only in price, and I would think that any bar that poured it as a well brand would have a bunch of bourbon drinkers hanging around.

As to what I've been drinking, I haven't had anything in a few days. Need to have some more Baker's before commenting on the BOTM.

Bob

Open it Dawn! You have my permission......:falling:

Dane, I told him I had your permission.....he said I had to wait until you could join us in a drink! :shocked:

Dawn

Being a WT fan, both Tribute and the 12YO are on my list. Any one have a stash to share??? I would like to try the PVW 20 but I was a little disapointed in the last bottle of Pappy 15 I got so I'm a little hesitant to put down the bucks for the 20 year.

So much of what I want to try is not available to me here in Southern California. I prefer however to dwell on what I do have rather than complain about what I don't have.....so.

With a bottle of Tribute and a Fall '05 Stagg bunkered, I will turn my sites to the WT12...some of the Van Winkles that are not here and Four Roses SB.

First off, re: southern california. Get yourself to the wine exchange in Tustin! They have a pretty good selection of bourbons at absolutely FANTASTIC prices. ETL - $16.99. Elijah Craig 12 Year - $15.99. Elijah Craig 18 year - $30.99. Pappy Van Winkel - $69.99. Blanton's Single Barrel - $39.99. I don't know how those compare to the prices others around here pay, but they are FAR cheaper than I've seen anywhere else in socal.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can have liquor shipped to you from anywhere in the country. Many states have restrictive liqour laws, but california is not one of them...

I have now tried six bourbons: Jim Beam (made me write off bourbon for nearly ten years...), Maker's Mark, Elmer T. Lee, Blanton's Single Barrel, Elijah Craig 12 Year, and Pappy Van Winkel. I think my next purchase will be Rock Hill Farms, based on the number of people that are interested in it.

I've never tried any wild turkey product, so I would love suggestions as to what to try. My philosophy is that life is too short to drink bad liquor, so I have no interest in anything equivalent to standard Jim Beam. If I am going to drink Wild Turkey, I want something above the "run of the mill" but I am not sure what that would be. What are the differences?

At the same time, as evidenced by my choices of Makers, Elijah Craig and ETL I am not looking to see how much I can spend, but rather seek to find that sweet spot of price vs. flavor.

Joel

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.