Cork In The Bourbon

ProofPositive
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know this question has been addressed here in detail and perhaps someone can point me to the proper thread(s). I just got an unopened & stamp-sealed bottle of WT101 that harkens from the mid-1970s. The cork has dry rotted a good bit on the bottom side and pieces of it now litter the surface of the bourbon. Is the bourbon ruined? Or, is it still good to go after pouring it through a cotton cloth or fine strainer to catch the pieces?

I don't relish the idea of flossing my teeth after a pour to remove the cork residue. However, my main concern is what it may have done to the 101. It is not a substantial amount but is definitely visible as well as the cork showing the bottom-end deterioration clearly. Don't want to get some god-awful ailment from contaminated goods. Thanks!

I've opened plenty of older bottles that have had damaged corks. If the bourbon isnt cloudy, strain out the cork, clean out the leftover pieces, and try a small pour to see if its still good. If the bourbon is cloudy and has a musty smell, stay away.

Exactly what Joe says. If you check out some good wine stores you'll be able to find some funnels with screens in them for doing exactly this job.

I've had this happen a couple of times with WT 12YO!

I didn't want to lose this fine drop but neither did I want to drink it through my teeth! I poured the Whiskey into a clean vessel, cleaned the neck free of cork and using a funnel and coffe filter paper, poured it back into the bottle.

It worked a treat.

Luckily the Whiskey was not ruined by the cork as once happenned with a bottle of EC12 - the cork was very crumbly and slimey and the bottle was a writeoff, likely due to poor storage in transit? I got a free replacement bottle from the wine store - just a shame that I didn't like the EC12 after all that trouble...

As a further point make sure the cork still makes a good seal.

I had the misfortune of coming across (yet another!) bottle of WT12 YO with a dodgy cork. My brother had opened it in my absence and made a hash of it. Half the Whiskey had evaporated due to a poor seal and I was most upset.

I reakon if he'd had any brains at all, a wine stopper/bung would have saved the day.

Still he bought me a bottle of Booker's for Xmas soon after that, so all's well that ends well!

I'd be interested to see a picture, I was under the impression that they didn't make regular 101 back then. I thought it was 8 year or olde no. 8 back then? I guess I must have been missing something... :22:

I'd be interested to see a picture, I was under the impression that they didn't make regular 101 back then. I thought it was 8 year or olde no. 8 back then? I guess I must have been missing something... :22:

Sorry, maybe I phrased it wrong. By "regular 101", I meant the original 8YO WT101. It was 8YO back then and stated it on the label - across the bottom of the front label to be exact.

As soon as I get it I'll send you a pic.....unless, someone else here points you to one ahead of time

Sorry, maybe I phrased it wrong. By "regular 101", I meant the original 8YO WT101. It was 8YO back then and stated it on the label - across the bottom of the front label to be exact.

As soon as I get it I'll send you a pic.....unless, someone else here points you to one ahead of time

Ahh, yes that is more like it. No picture necessary just thought something seemed off.

I love the 8 year, wish they still made it!

I had a cork actually break off and fall into an early 90's bottle of WT12. I poured the whiskey into another container and tipped the bottle up to get the cork as close to the bottle neck as possible. Then I used A sharp steak knife to cut the cork into quarters. The pieces fell right out of the bottle. I then used a cork top fron another empty bottle of WT. After straining the whiskey for cork fragments, I put it back into the bottle and all was well again.

THomas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.