Elmer T. Lee 107 Proof

brian12069
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just did a search on these boards and can't find this. I got it about a year ago and had some tonight. Anyone else ever try this? It is very good.

There is no age on the bottle anywhere, I was wondering if anyone knew the age?

The one thing about the bottle that is different is the glass is actually black. I don't know if I have ever seen a black bourbon bottle before.

post-570-14489812307327_thumb.jpg

There are numerous posts here about this bottle......often referred to as the ETL BUB (Elmer T Lee Butt Ugly Bottle). Even Ken Weber calls it that. I don't have any suggestions on how to locate the posts.....but they are there. The bottle has shown up at many a Gazebo tasting and its fine stuff.

Randy

I just did a search on "bub" and found a few things on it. Sounds like it's pretty hard to find.

I did a couple of quick searches to try to answer your question regarding age, but I failed.

In the process I found some old posts of interest. It seems that the BUB you have was also used later for a 90 proof version of ETL, but the glass was clear, not black. I was relieved to find that post, because the clear glass/90 proof version was the one I remembered.

I finished my BUB and opened the newer, squat bottling at the same sitting. (Game 7 of the 2003 World Series.) I commented that the bourbon inside tasted different. Could it be that the appearance of the bottle caused me to taste a difference that was not there?

My point here is that your bottling goes back even further than the BUB I recalled.

You'll probably have to wait for Ken Weber to make an appearance to get the answer to your question.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I have a couple of identical bottles, but at 90 proof -- and it says "Single Barrel Bourbon" in the red 'medallion' near the bottom of the label where yours says "107 Proof". You can see it at left in the first post here:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4753&highlight=Bulleits

Additionally, I have a few bottles of Ancient Age Barrel 107 -- at 107 proof, of course, and 10 years old, but in the same BUB.

I saw it on the shelf at Twisted Spoke in Chicago last week and tried it. Think Ancient Ancient Age at 107 proof. Not a bad thought, at that.

Wow!

That's the 1st time I've clapped my eyes on the BUB. A very accurate term!

I reakon ETL is perfect at 90 proof and would be interested to hear how it fared at 107... I bet it was tasty stuff no matter what the "packaging "looked like.

Wow!

That's the 1st time I've clapped my eyes on the BUB. A very accurate term!

I reakon ETL is perfect at 90 proof and would be interested to hear how it fared at 107... I bet it was tasty stuff no matter what the "packaging "looked like.

It was very good at 107 proof. I enjoyed it.

Mmmmm I had a sneaking suspicion it might be good! I find ETL at 90 proof to be a sweet, smooth and very drinkable "moorish" whiskey. Sounds like the same is true at the higher proof too.

Mr. Lee sure knows his stuff.

Cheers Brian...

very drinkable "moorish" whiskey.

Yeah - I love that Moroccan bourbon! :slappin:

Jeff

Oops!

Perhaps MOREISH is what I should have written...

I did have a private education, but I seem to remember sleeping rather alot during lessons, when I could get away with it!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.