Dickel Barrel Select

barturtle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I noticed this yesterday while checking up on sime of the lastest scores(check the date of the tasting, pretty recent):

http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=177578

I'm wondering if this has now gotten expanded distirbution or if I still need to visit the distillery to get it. Tim(TNbourbon) had posted a picture a while back and noted that there is(was) a liquor store that sold it(Any idea if they have more, Tim?).

Anyway, it got a higher score than the Dickel #12, so there's something going on there that may be worth searching out.

Never been to Dickel(or that other place in TN) spring break's coming up, might be time for a visit.

It's in a lot of Middle Tennessee liquor stores now. I suspect that 'single' liquor store deal -- the retail outlet in Tullahoma from which the Dickel gift shop purchases what it resells -- got the distributor in hot water. It's against the rules for a distributor to offer an item to a single retailer without making it available to all his retailers (based, of course, on availability of product). Once the distributor 'let the cat out of the bag', so to speak, he had no choice but to place in any store that wanted it. I've seen it stacked double-faced to the back of shelves in some store in the Dickel Distillery area.

post-367-14489812310745_thumb.jpg

The neck tag states "Limited No. 1 Edition", but it doesn't seem too limited around here. The bottle notes that it's 'specially double distilled', but who knows if that refers to a second pass through the still, or just the use of a 'doubler'?

Tim,

Alas I remember it well. Seems me and Fricky were with you when you got it. What a memory!!!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon the slight shift in the subject, but how common is the BHC bottle of George Dickel Special Reserve these days. I found one over the weekend for around $30 still in the blue box. This is the first one I have come across in quite a while. Just wondering/curious.

Also, how does the GDSR stack up against the DBS one-on-one? (Taking into consideration that every single barrel version could be/will be different from another).

...how does the GDSR stack up against the DBS one-on-one? (Taking into consideration that every single barrel version could be/will be different from another).

Neither is a single-barrel.

While I have never had the BS, and I can't find my print out of some old tasting scores I used to have for BHC (that's if scores actually mean anything), it seems like they acheived similar scores, so they should both be considered what is probably the best of what TN has to offer. If I can manage some on my way to Atlanta this weekend, there should be a mini-comparo in the works...though with my current open bottle situation (too many) and the fact that I'm going to Europe for the summer, it may have to wait for a while

I drove through Tennessee last month and saw a bottle of this on the shelf of a liquor store off I-75. I picked it up on a whim, having not seen this one before. I HIGHLY recommend it...it's delicious! Sweet, smooth, a large bouquet..I really, really enjoy it. I wished I'd picked up more than one! Anyway, my advice is that if you haven't tried this, and you have an opportunity to pick one up, then I highly recommend doing so.

I drove through Tennessee last month and saw a bottle of this on the shelf of a liquor store off I-75. I picked it up on a whim, having not seen this one before. I HIGHLY recommend it...it's delicious! Sweet, smooth, a large bouquet..I really, really enjoy it. I wished I'd picked up more than one! Anyway, my advice is that if you haven't tried this, and you have an opportunity to pick one up, then I highly recommend doing so.

This is definitely one of the whiskeys I lock forward must to taste when in Kentucky and Tennessee in September.

Leif

Neither is a single-barrel.

Thanks Tim.

You are correct.....my error. I was sipping some single barrel KY Spirit while composing. My taste buds invaded my brain.

Anyhow, I plan to sample both DBS and GDSR in the near future. Being a devoted J.D. Blackshirt for many a year, even thinking about G.D. was considered heresy in my book. After I left Tennessee Whiskey behind for the real stuff I now enjoy, I am very hesitant to try any again. But maybe G.D. would be worth a try. The vast majority of comments on the Forum seem to indicate a much more favorable response to G.D. than J.D. So, maybe I'll give it a run when I have a few extra dollars in my pocket.

Thanks again for the correction.

What should one expect to pay for either of these two "special" Dickels? Be it, retail or current market?

What should one expect to pay for either of these two "special" Dickels? Be it, retail or current market?

In Middle Tennessee (where Dickel Distillery is), the Dickel Barrel Select is around $35 before tax.

In Middle Tennessee (where Dickel Distillery is), the Dickel Barrel Select is around $35 before tax.

Same price down here in West Tennessee. I have seen the BHC bottle in a few places around here for $30-31 before tax.

Could anyone provide any contact information to any of these locations that may have either of these two Dickel's? I'd love to call them and see if they could ship to me in IL. Or if anyone has a bottle they could part with, please PM me. I'd be greatly indebted and would cheers the first sip in your honor!

Could anyone provide any contact information to any of these locations that may have either of these two Dickel's? I'd love to call them and see if they could ship to me in IL...

It is not legal (in fact, it is a felony!) for either a retailer or a private citizen to ship alcohol products into/out of Tennessee. The beer/liquor distributors are VERY influential in the legislature -- it ain't gonna change soon. (By the way, since not even in-state wineries can ship to in-state customers, the recent SCOTUS decision regarding wine laws and shipments does not affect Tennessee.)

• 3 months later...

While planning a trip to Dickel, I ran across a picture of the Barrel Select and short description on their website. It says 10-12 yo and nation wide avail in July 06. Anyone seen these new bottles?

post-1106-14489812503478_thumb.jpg

While planning a trip to Dickel, I ran across a picture of the Barrel Select and short description on their website. It says 10-12 yo and nation wide avail in July 06. Anyone seen these new bottles?

[ATTACH]2928[/ATTACH]

Timothy,

Nice picture. If it is 10-12 years it may be the oldest Tennessee ever bottled I guess. This one is defiantly top priority on my bay list in September. If I cant find it in Kentucky I’ll by it in Tennessee on my way to Dickel and JD.

[ATTACH]2928[/ATTACH]

Timothy:

I am pretty sure I saw this bottle at a couple of stores in East Tennessee in late July. If the product inside is as good as the package, they'll have a winner.

JOE

• 1 month later...

[ATTACH]2928[/ATTACH]

I saw one last weekend in north Mississippi. I was nearly floored at the price tag of $47.99! Is that out of line? Usually, I find good deals plus a lower sales tax south of the Tennessee line....but, not this time, not on this bottle - not for right now anyway. I can still get the first edition Dickel Select just about anywhere around here for $35-37 - but $48 for the new edition!!??

The Dickel barrel select has now officially arrived in Ohio. I saw some today for 42.95 a bottle. Quite a steep price compared to the 19.90 I paid for the BHC version on closeout in Ohio a number of years back. I like the 10 year old but have never been a big fan of the #8 or #12. Its hard to spend 40.00+ on a bottle of this when for 5.00 extra you can get a 1.75L of Gentlemans Jack, which to me is the only JD worth drinking!

Thomas

Picked up a bottle and tried it last weekend. Top-drawer stuff. Highly recommended!

Just got the new Malt Advocate magazine.

Dickel is on the cover. Inside, a big article, and also featued in the "from the publisher", plus 3 Dickel reviews, also a full page ad.

It looks like Dickel is making a move, lookout Jack.

I have gone thru a couple of bottles of Dickel No. 12, and I think it is great whisky.

Does anyone know if the Barrel Select is available in KY, as I will be down there next week.

this is an edit,.....-> I just saw the above post, it looks like it is.

Happy to hear that. I think it is a much better choice then Jack. Been looking hard for the barrel select in Illinois with no luck. Anyone know if it is here yet?

I haven't seen DBS here, either - surprising, considering that Binny's and Sam's can get some unusual bottlings. Dickel #12 is good stuff, though!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.