What I Did on My Spring Vacation - Part 1

Dahlrod
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

About the Store.

Is indicative of a problem when the highlight of your vacation is stumbling across a three bottle case of Stagg in an obscure little store on the way home from the Rockies? Well, at least I waited until I got home to pop one open.

Joy was just starting to get annoyed at the liquor store stops. I kept telling her it only takes twenty seconds to look down an aisle. I was looking for any labels that I have read about but am unable to buy here in Doo Dah, (Wichita, Middle of Nowhere.) So on my last ditch effort, Gunnison Discount Liquor, in Gunnison, CO, there it was; the Stagg … along with several other notable labels in a locked display. I turned to the guy and said, "You've got Stagg." His eyes lit up, and he said, "Yes I do" … So much for twenty seconds.

We discussed the display case for the next twenty minutes until Joy came in with the typical reminders; the 16 hour drive, the job the next day … She's right of course, and usually is. But we're talking Stagg here. I managed to snag a whole three bottle case, letter intact.

What a day!

We had friends in from England the next week; Scotch snobs at that.

What timing!

Your wife and my husband need to get together! Only my problem is that if he's driving, I can't even get him to stop!!

Last week I took a day off to ride with him on a call he had to make in Chicago. The deal was...take me to lunch and stop at liquor stores on the way home. Lunch was great.....Lou Malnoties (sp?) pizza....and Jon was a trooper stopping at liquor stores, but he gets to frustrated when he's stopped at 5-6 and finds nothing. My philosophy....ten stores may turn up nothing, 15 stores might yeild a tiny treasure, but when you find a gem....all your efforts were worth it no matter how many stops you made!

We went to Florida for spring break. A lonely OFBB 2002 came home with me!

Dawn

Coming back home to KY for spring break means no dusty bottles and the limited release stuff is long gone, but at least I can pick up some of those KY-only bottles to take back and visit with the bulk of my stash...Oh, yeah...there're also distilleries to visit and bourbon bars to drink at

Wadewood,

2005, yes! The hot stuff. 141.7. Evaporates off the tongue before you can swallow it. The shelf was actually missmarked slightly. Final price for the case will have to remain confidential. ;)

While I'm here, someone help me out on ediquette a little. I have part two and three to this story; The Englanders reaction, and then my own Tasting Notes. Is this too much information and innappropriate for this site? And should I tack it on to this strand or start new strands? Each could be a topic on it's own.

Thanks guys.

Dawn,

Yes, control of the wheel is critical to the hunt.

Help educate a novice ... what is OFBB?

DahlRod,

I wrote a lengthy reply about the desirability of restricting posts to the subject of each forum. After rereading it I decided to take my own advice. Accordingly, I am sending you my opinion in a Private Message, instead.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

On my spring break(which was really my kids spring break) I took a trip to whiskey country. We toured Buffalo Trace,four Roses and Wild Turkey. I addition, I went up to Louisville and took pictures of Stitzel Weller and Bernheim. along the way i bought 10 bottles of Whiskey including Bernheim wheat, VOB 100, Mellow Corn 100, Dowling Deluxe 100, Saz jr. rye, Hancocks Reserve(27.99), Old Charter Proprietors Reserve 13yr., Old Bardstown 10yr. 101, Canadian Club 100 proof and Henry McKenna single barrel 100 in addition to a bunch of minis. I also got some picturtes of Old Taylor and Old Crow south of Frankfort. I would say it was a great spring break!

Thomas

Thomas,

Next time thru, don't miss Woodford Reserve and especially Maker's Mark. They were the most scenic and informative of the five my brother and I visited last fall. We missed Four Roses unfortunately. I've heard it is also very scenic.

I visited Makers Mark in 1987 and 2003 and Woodford Reserve(then known as Labrot and Graham) in 2003 as well. I have been to every distillery in Kentucky that offers public tours as well as JD and Dickel in Tennessee. One thing I wish is that someone would reopen Stitzel Weller. They were one of the original victims of foreign ownership in the whiskey business. I am glad to see Buffalo Trace is doing a great job both with the tours and their products!

Thomas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.