Where to buy great bourbon in SW Connecticut?

Pete
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi all, I'm a brand new bourbon lover, and just came across this forum last week. Three weeks ago on a whim, I bought a bottle of Pappy 20 YO--my first ever bourbon purchase-- and that has sealed the deal for me! I have since picked up a fifth of Blantons which I am also enjoying.

Problem is-- I can't find most of the labels that are discussed here on these forums. Lots of single malt scotch, which I can't stand....and just narrow choices on the bourbon side at my local places.

I picked up the Van Winkle bottle when I was traveling, not locally. Can anyone recommend a liquor shop in south west Connecticut that stocks a good selection of top quality bourbon?

Pete

Welcome to the wonderful world of bourbon. Even in KY some bottlings are not available, and in other areas it gets worse. However thats no reason to give up hope. I'm not sure how often you make it into NYC (IIRC Letterman commutes from CT for his show, so the trip can't be that bad), but there are at least a couple good stores there that I know of, Park Ave Liquors in Manhatten and Lenell's in Brooklyn(she's a member of this board). I'm not sure of the shipping laws in CT, but that may be an option also.

Best of luck and welcome to the board.

Can anyone recommend a liquor shop in south west Connecticut that stocks a good selection of top quality bourbon?

Pete

Pete,

Welcome to SB I agree with you on the Pappy 20 yr. It is very good. I reside in KY but happened to be in CT recently for work related stuff and ran across a liquor store that had a very good selection. I'm not sure where it is exactly but I think it was in Southbury or close to Southbury on I-84. I know this isn't really accurate but it is somewhere between the Waterbury and Danbury. Your state has liquor stores all over the place but there isn't much bourbon there. I was a little disappointed.

Chuck

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Lenells looks very cool from the website... I sent them an email the other day but haven't heard back. They're all the way downtown on the Brooklyn side, a good 2+ hours from where I am in CT... very possible.

Chuckmick-- I know of a place right off 84 in Woodbury-- Nutmeg Wine & Spirits... could that be it? It's right in the same little bunch of shops with the Good News Cafe and a toy store. That's about an hour from me, and easy to get to.

Pete

Lenell has been in KY the past few days with many of us at the Sampler events in Bardstown. She'll have some store news on the whiskey front when she returns that may prompt those of you within driving range of her to drop in.

Lenell has been in KY the past few days with many of us at the Sampler events in Bardstown. She'll have some store news on the whiskey front when she returns that may prompt those of you within driving range of her to drop in.

Now that's an intriguing comment there, Tim! Look forward to hearing what that's all about.

Lenells is doing a bourbon tasting this coming Sunday...I can't make it though, I'll be on a plane at 8 AM that morning out of La Guardia airport which is probably not 20 minutes away. Darn.... next time!

Pete

Sorry to not get back to you, but like Tim said, been in Kentucky, West Virginia, and Virginia on a whiskey buying trip and just got back at 4am this morning. (Lordy, lordy do I have some fun stuff coming up our way!) I'll check around and see if I can get some good leads on stores for you around home, but we're happy to help any way we can, too.

If you can get over to Fishkill, NY there's a place called Viscount liquors that has a terrific selection.

Craig

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.