Catdaddy Carolina Moonshine

BobA
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

At least I think that's what the label said. I didn't buy it, saw it in the ABC store in Andrews, NC. Just wondered if anyone had tried it.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

I just spotted it in SC yesterday. Didn't look all that tempting actually.

Craig

Yeah, I left it on the shelf too. Maybe if I run out of things I want to try.

Bob

Legally, it's flavored vodka, but it is actually made by a small distiller in North Carolina. It's not just somebody buying and flavoring bulk GNS.

Website is here.

it is actually made by a small distiller in North Carolina. It's not just somebody buying and flavoring bulk GNS.

And for that they should be commended.

I may suffer from something of a romantic streak, but after perusing the home page, I got quite enamoured with this product.

They claim that CCM includes ingredients not used by any other moonshine-producers. I wonder what that could be?

And for that they should be commended.

I may suffer from something of a romantic streak, but after perusing the home page, I got quite enamoured with this product.

They claim that CCM includes ingredients not used by any other moonshine-producers. I wonder what that could be?

From "The Distiller" Issue #51:

"'When people drink traditional moonshine, they immediately recognize one flavor,' Michalek said. Michalek describes the flavor of Catdaddy as a fusion of several different flavors, 'sweet, combined with a little bit of spice.'

"'People say they taste a little bit of fruit, or spice or vanilla or cinnamon,' he said."

While I don't object to this product or to their use of the term "moonshine"--I think it's a cute gimmick, but that's all it is--it inevitably will cause some confusion. The product is flavored vodka. As for "ingredients not used by other moonshine producers," that statement kind of defies the realities of moonshine. What makes a spirit "moonshine" isn't its flavor or a particular way it is made. What makes it "moonshine" is the fact that it is produced illegally in an unlicensed still. That is the only thing all moonshine has in common.

By definition, then, Catdaddy isn't "moonshine" in any sense of the word but, like I said, they're having some fun and I'm all for fun. It's not like anyone should worry that it's going to hurt the market for real moonshine.

As for real moonshine, most of it, especially today, is made from table sugar and if it is flavored at all (most isn't) it could be with anything from liquid smoke to creamed corn.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.