The aperitif, the woody, the essence, the “get drunk" and all the other Turkeys.

nor02lei
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well this will be my longest thread so far on the forum. Still it was meant just to be an answer to a personal pm from another member concerning the taste of WT Kentucky legend single barrel. The reason I decided to put it out on the forum was that it swollen out to contain many other Turkeys and that it took me so long time to make due to my spelling problem. Sorry to say I got a little of this problem in my on language as well but luckily my 2 sons don’t have it, on the contrary they are both very good spellers both on English and Swedish. As I guess many of you others do I also consider the different WT bourbon brands very individually different. For no particular reason I have for my on record divided the ones I have tasted into different groups due to there stile and taste profile and that is as follows.

The aperitif Turkey: Kentucky legend single barrel is the aperitif Turkey to me. It’s a bit on the light side for a Turkey but certainly not without plenty of flavours and character. To me this is an extremely appetising bourbon with all the turkey flavours introduced in a real bracing way and perfect before dinner or a party. Not that Id tried it but I am sure if I would take it as a night cap I would be awake all night.

The woody Turkeys: 12 Y and Tradition are the woody Turkeys to me. By woody I mean that it is lots of flavour from the real wood. Tradition is a bit sweeter and more balanced though. The 12 could fit the dull section as well.

The dull Turkeys: 80 proof and the European 8 Y version are the dull Turkeys to me. Comments unnecessary I guess.

The “get drunk†turkey: Rare breed is the Turkey that comes to mind in this matter. Due to the blend it seem to me that it has been so complex that it so to say been over complex and that has in my opinion made it a bit neutral in taste for a Turkey and also very very easy drinkable at the high proof. I would say Legend single barrel would fit in this category as well despite its much more flavour full.

The grassy and non Turkey Turkey: Kentucky spirits is in my opinion the least typical of the Turkeys I have tasted so far. It has a real evident grassy character and is actually very taste alike OFBB.

The illegal turkey: Sherry signature is the illegal Turkey due to the fact that Jimmy actually put sherry in to the whiskey. Personally I think the low proof is on the limit of illegal as well. The bourbon underneath all the sherry is rather woody and appears older than the claimed 10 years. The thought has accord to me that this is a way for the distillery to get use of some bad barrels. Still it has a personal stile and it’s all right combined with medium sweet cakes and candy and would for sure have been better at a higher proof. I would also say this one fits in the woody and dessert categories as well.

The essence Turkey: Kentucky Legend 101 proof (old version) is to me the essence of all the good WT flavours and my first poor of this was one of my biggest whisk (e) y memories in my life. I guess that the reason why this version wasn’t bottled at barrel strange were that it would have meant that it would have to be consumed by knife and fork. I fully serious think that diluted 50-50 with neutral spirit and marred for a few weeks it would still be good Turkey left. All roe it was a few years since I had my only bottle of this the fought have struck me that it could have been a “lucky†bottle and I will soon be were since I plan to open a second this summer.

The dessert and bourbon Turkey: 101 are bourbon personalised to me. I can’t think of a more typical bourbon. Heavy, sweet, chewy and with bunches of vanilla and caramel and a hint of rye and real wood. It is also absolutely fantastic dessert and chocolate bourbon.

As I guess everybody know this is just to my personal preferences and taste as usual.

Leif

It´s great to have you on board, Leif! I have no problems whatsoever with your English.

As for your WT assessments : I agree for the most part (although I think you are a bit hard on the 8yo European version).

Some I haven´t tried, though. The sherry signature doesn´t interest me one iota (Pull the other one, Jimmy!) and I will probably never try the 80 proof version unless it is offered for free.

I especially agree about your interpretations of Kentucky Legend and Rare Breed. Very apt! I should have bought more of the former when I had the opportunity.

I agree that Kentucky Spirit is the odd one out, although some people here think that it resembles Russell´s Reserve (which you have left out of your survey). Never thought about the grassiness but I shall certainly look for it in my newly bought bottle. From my last bottle I remember vanilla and really sharp oranges.

I suppose the 101 proof version of Kentucky Legend was a single barrel, as well? How do you think this one differs from KS? It would be interesting to know how they selected barrels for these different SB bottlings.

It´s great to have you on board, Leif! I have no problems whatsoever with your English..

I can say the same about you even due I am a newcomer compared to you.

I agree that Kentucky Spirit is the odd one out, although some people here think that it resembles Russell´s Reserve (which you have left out of your survey). Never thought about the grassiness but I shall certainly look for it in my newly bought bottle. From my last bottle I remember vanilla and really sharp oranges..

Sorry to say I have not tried RR. But I hope to try both that one and Tribute this summer.

I suppose the 101 proof version of Kentucky Legend was a single barrel, as well? How do you think this one differs from KS? It would be interesting to know how they selected barrels for these different SB bottlings.

Legend 101 is no SB. In my opinion KL 101 have all the typical WT flavours in a very concentrated outfit. The resemblance is that both brands are very chewy in my opinion.

I guess it would be interesting to know the criteria for the selection of all the WT brands due to the big difference in stile between them. As I understand the warehouses are spread out in a very big aria. Could that be a part of the explanation?

I guess it would be interesting to know the criteria for the selection of all the WT brands due to the big difference in stile between them. As I understand the warehouses are spread out in a very big aria. Could that be a part of the explanation?

Yep, wouldn´t it be great if we could have someone like BettyJoe, Julian or Ken from the WT staff on this forum?

As for RR, my advice would be to stock up swiftly. The 101 proof version is on its way out now.

Yep, wouldn´t it be great if we could have someone like BettyJoe, Julian or Ken from the WT staff on this forum?.

That would be something!

As for RR, my advice would be to stock up swiftly. The 101 proof version is on its way out now.

Ok I see. I wasn’t sure if it was going to be replaced by the 90 proof here in Europe as well. I will bay it before summer for sure.

Leif

The Whisky Exchange has recently replaced the 101 with the 90 proof version and at German online shop The Malt Whisky Company the RR 101 is listed as "Limited stock".

I´m not even sure RR 101 ever had an official European "release". On WT:s homepage you can check each European country for WT availability and, if my memory serves me correct, the RR was never featured there. I Could be wrong, though.

Well Leif, your English is a LOT better than my Swedish.......

A couple of years ago when a large contingent of SB.com members made the trip to Wild Turkey, Jimmy Russell honored us as our tour guide. As we walked through the warehouse (which included a couple of pallets of the newly bottled Tribute) The Sherry version was sitting on a shelf and when asked about it, Jimmy pretty much left the impression he wasn't the one who came up with it or even approved of it. He simply stated it was going to be export only and the way he shrugged his shoulders alluded to the thought that if we didn't buy it we weren't in for any big loss. I think this was strictly another marketing department decision that was meant to try to create a demand where there was none.

Well Leif, your English is a LOT better than my Swedish........

Dane,

I got no problems with English. It is just the spelling part that takes a lot of time for me.

A couple of years ago when a large contingent of SB.com members made the trip to Wild Turkey, Jimmy Russell honored us as our tour guide. As we walked through the warehouse (which included a couple of pallets of the newly bottled Tribute) The Sherry version was sitting on a shelf and when asked about it, Jimmy pretty much left the impression he wasn't the one who came up with it or even approved of it. He simply stated it was going to be export only and the way he shrugged his shoulders alluded to the thought that if we didn't buy it we weren't in for any big loss. I think this was strictly another marketing department decision that was meant to try to create a demand where there was none.

Very interesting! Glad to here that Jimmy didn’t participate in any illegal labelling.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.