Bourbon House on Bourbon Street

cas
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just returned from a several day meeting in New Orleans at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street. I lived in Baton Rouge for a number of years and have visited New Orleans many times but this was my first return since about 1990. There are certainly some changes since Katrina last summer, but something that I didn't recall, or was very new, was the Bourbon House near the corner of Bourbon and Canal Streets. I went to the bar and asked about the bourbon selection (only the Beam small batch line was visible behind the bar) and the bartender handed a list of 56 different bourbons. When a requested a Van Winkle she said "good choice" and opened a cabinet where they were stored out of sight. Bottom line is they had a nice selection, including Pappy's 23 and Distiller's Masterpiece (at $35 a glass if I remember correctly) and I introduced some friends to Pappy's 15 the first night and Rock Hill Farms the second evening. The food was good too. Definitely a good choice if you are in that area.

Craig

Went to Emeril's in Buckhead last month. The selection was nowhere near 56 bourbons but it was ok. They had Pappy 15 and 20, BMH 21 and a few other top shelf bourbons. Also had the usual suspects. The bartender was quite savy on the subject of bourbon and claimed that he and a friend (or two) were planning to open a bar next year. You may want to keep an eye/ear out.

I have never been served a bad meal in New Orleans. If I went to an expensive restaurant, I felt like I got what I paid for (excellence). If I went to a lesser priced place, I usually felt like I got much more than my money's worth.

They know good food and don't seem to settle for less.

Tim

My son and I were in the Bourbon House Bar in New Orleans last year. At the time they had 50 different bourbons. My son asked the barmaid to serve up two pours of their BEST bourbon. We got Blantons!!!! I was not very impressed.

Joe :usflag:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.