Sampler 2006 Changes

bobbyc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

They changed the venue this year, added entertainment. What does everyone think?

For me it seemed only bigger by a little bit. When everyone was in there it was hard to get from one side to the other. The food wasn't attended very well, some of the offerings were only dropped on a table with a card saying whose it was. The tables for the distilleries I liked lined up along the walls. Perhaps a little bigger building would have worked. Never before have I seen people leave before it was over and at least a fourth did. It was managable then.

I really liked the Wild Turkey table this year. Nice stemmed glassware. I'm over my hurt feelings about 90 proof Russells Reserve. They put out a great product, all the time. Jimmy looked good and enjoying himself, happy to see us.

Jim Beam didn't run out of glasses, and it wasn't because the traffic to them was light. Barton had new 1792 glasses, 4 Roses did too I believe.

I have mixed feelings about the changes. I really enjoyed the Civil War museum. I think it added character to the event. OTOH, last year I got trapped in a corner several times and couldn't get to where I wanted to go because of the crowds. Also, sometimes it was hard to find a particular distillery in the museum; they were in little corners spread out everywhere.

Now the convention center/Hillbilly Heaven handled the crowds a bit better I thought, at least I didn't feel suffocated. I thought the quality of the food was better than years past, but Bobby is right that a lot of it was just layed out there. I think they need to concentrate more on "finger foods" rather than lasagna or large messy sandwiches. Everything was great, but there was really no place to sit down and you had to do all of your eating standing up in a crowd. I did like the music they added this year.

All-in-all we had a great time. I'm willing to cut them a little slack considering it was the first year in this venue.

I preferred the older venue: the historical trappings added interest; the food seemed better and more abundant; and there was more seating. Unfortunately that place is too small now for the event. I think the weather this year didn't help (although it's rained at Samplers before..). It was still a great event and a plus was the band whom everyone could see and enjoy. These things are always a compromise and hopefully they will improve the formula at the current venue (if they keep it) by tinkering with the food and maybe add if there is room a tent for people to circulate out of the building. Maybe they foresee growth next year and are planning to add a tent or some type of overhead temporary addition although I didn't look to see if there was room for that.

Gary

Neat, Clean, somewhat sterile environment compared to the musty, labyrinth of the Civil War Museum. I agree with Jeff that they didn't get a lot of additional space for the change in venue. It was kind of like a mini-Jideco Hall (KBF Gala) with the distilleries around the edge and food in the middle.

Music a plus, but the PA system (band amps) left a lot to be desired. I was five feet away and couldn't make out the names during the door prize segment or distillery lottery.

I made the decision to eat first and drink along the way, as opposed to my previous plans which resulted in no food by the time I got around to tasting. This was the best food selection yet with nice variety. Ya, it hard to eat a marinate pork cutlet sandwich with peppers, onions, lettuce and tomato while standing and drinking.

As usual, it was the run of the mill bourbons. I wish each distillery would hide a little something for the SB.com folks. BT only brough BT. With 30 bourbons, ya think they could've brought out some Old Charter or something. ORVW had Lews Schuckman (of Smoked Fish Fame) pouring their products and serving smoked salmon spread. Where's the Spoonfish Caviar? When will Julian invest in some logo glassware? I felt strange asking for ORVW in my EWSB glass, but I wasn't about to take medicine cup.

There was a notable lack of Master Distillers. Three year's ago, every distiller was there. I think it should be a requirement. No Noe? No Davis? No Wheatley or Lee? No Pickerell or Nally? Jimmy Russell, Craig Beam and Jim Rutledge were there and thanks to them for mingling. Woodford and BF were completely absent but I think we knee that. I think the pissing contest over Bardstown being the venue for KBF every year is still going on.

In conclusion, this has surely grown into a major event. Four years ago they're were 25 non-distillery related participants. Had to be 200-300 this year.

I, for one, will continue to use this as my excuse to come to Bardstown every spring.

Jerry Dalton was there, It was funny when Cliff asked him if he knew me, he said No, I don't know this guy.

It was my very first Sampler so I don't have much to relate it to.

I enjoyed the wide-open atmosphere, however I really felt the need for some place to sit down and relax for a while. I also agree that while the food was great, they really need to adjust the menu to make it more finger friendly.

I was impressed to see that the Van Winkles were pouring Pappy 15, 20, Lot B, and ORVW 10 but I was hoping to meet Julian and Preston in person and so was disappointed at their absence. I hope that nothing is amiss with them or their family.

At the BT gift shop they sell Glencairn glasses with Old Rip Van Winkle etched on them, perhaps they are too pricey to hand out and the money saved from them went to serving up top notch whiskey. Which would you rather have, nice glassware with low end whiskey or great whiskey in plastic cups? I'll take option 3: Pappy 20 in a WT Rare Breed snifter! :grin:

I love that snifter, it's a great size and shape. Wild Turkey put out some nice products to put in that glass at the Sampler as well.

I know it's part of the Kentucky Bourbon Festival but I would love to see some Rye whiskey at the Sampler too! Overall it was a fine tasting event for $30 bucks. I think the best part about it is the Sampler gives us all a reason to get together in Bardstown.

It was great to meet all of you nice folks in person at both the Sampler and the Gazebo. Your generosity and hospitality to us "newbies" was quite heartwarming. I hope I can make it back to Kentucky for the next event!

- ArtL

Jerry Dalton was there, It was funny when Cliff asked him if he knew me, he said No, I don't know this guy.

That was only the beginning. He worked me over pretty well repeatedly through the night -- after unsuccessfully digging for info on the Basil Hayden mashbill, I mentioned something about the relative contribution of such factors as proof off the still and that of barrel entry, to which he said, "Oh really?" :lol: I think you get the idea.

Dr. Jerry was in rare form. :lol: Love that guy!

As usual, it was the run of the mill bourbons. I wish each distillery would hide a little something for the SB.com folks.

It wasn't quite the same without the 22 1/2 year PVW that was under the table last year. I searched in vain for a bottle with a handwritten white label....but nothin'. Maybe next year.

schlep

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.