New to Bourbon

NEXT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Long time lurker and somewhat new to Bourbon in a way, wanting to know how to start a collection as well as how to enjoy the finer points of Bourbon.

I live in Eastern Kentucky and want to learn more about our states great porduct.

I highly recommend Chuck Cowdery's book Bourbon, Straight. It is an easy interesting read on the History of Bourbon. Gives you some nice groups of Bourbons to try as well which will give you a good start on the different flavor profiles out there.

As for starting a collection...wiser people than I shall respond to that. Your in ground zero for the stuff, there will be no end to what you can acquire.

I live in the Pacific NW, and have a more of a limited selection. I went from 1 bottle to a small stash of 30 now. I intend to drink them all at some point...some I picked up because geographically they are not common for me, and I couldn't pass them up. But I guess I believe they were produced to be consumed, and food/drink lover that I am, I shall oblige!

Welcome to the forum, great people here, with loads of insight.

Long time lurker and somewhat new to Bourbon in a way, wanting to know how to start a collection as well as how to enjoy the finer points of Bourbon.

I live in Eastern Kentucky and want to learn more about our states great porduct.

Welcome Aboard!!!

In terms of starting a collection and enjoying the finer points of bourbon, I can think of no better place to live than Kentucky. You will get a lot of great & solid advice, opinions and recommendations on here. There is no better place to learn in my opinion. In just a very short time, I have learned far more here on the Forum than many past years combined before stumbling (well, not literally....at least not that time) across sb.com one night back in November of last year.

My advice: Jump In & Enjoy!!!!!

The tricks to starting a collection:

1- Buy 3 times more than you normally would, if you were buying for you and you friends. Otherwise you collection is little more than a drinking stash.

2- When starting a collection, there is little need to go after the stuff that's already collectible. If you buy enough and wait long enough, anything will become collectible.

3- Almost any liquor store in KY will sell 50 different bourbons, and about 10 of those are only available in KY.

Good luck and welcome.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.