A. H. Hirsch 20 year old

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A few months ago I was in a liquor store and saw this bottle of A. H. Hirsch 20 year old. I bought it, I'm a little embarassed to say what I paid for it. The store owner did not know that it was rare and out of production. It was left over inventory from when he bought the store a few years ago.

The bottle says it was distilled in the spring of 1974, so I assume bottled in '94.

I have not opened it yet. I kinda like just looking at it for now.

Can anyone tell me what the average retail price was back in the '90's?

I looked it up in Gary Regan's "The Bourbon Companion" and he gives it a glowing review and a 94 rating. (yes I know a lot of people think the rating system is silly).

Thanks in advance

Oscar

I bought a couple for $84.00 each. One of those a few years back, it seems to be so expensive at that price point the store owners have no idea it could fetch 3X the amount. The 2 that I bought I really got to feel like a high roller for a few minutes.

Isn't that also the one the Regans advise you to put your feet on the old Sheepdogs back and dream of your spectacular future?

I paid $87, 90, and 114 for mine, although I think some shipping has to be added, too. Glad they got bunkered when they did a few years back!

I am not sure if you got my private message, but I would be willing to buy the Hirsch 20 from you if it was for sale. Let me know via PM or on here and we can touch base.

i paid $220 for mine. that was a few months ago. i need one more to bunker so i can open the one i have!

This brings home a point to me, I really have no idea what I plan to do with mine. I've only had one serious inquiry into someone buying one and I didn't fancy that at all. Somedays I think I will sell them when the price gets to $600 or $1500, depends on my mood.Other times I think I just might grab one and go find David Beam and put in a day admiring his Michters Stills.

A few months ago I was in a liquor store and saw this bottle of A. H. Hirsch 20 year old.

Just curious if you found that in Michigan (since I'm only some 30-odd miles down the road or so). The state controlled distribution makes it very difficult to find anything old.

Jeff

I was just in Detroit and it was Bourbon hunting heaven! You have to be willing to go into some shaky places, but given the economy and the sheer number of liquor stores per mile, I did quite well for myself.

I was just in Detroit and it was Bourbon hunting heaven! You have to be willing to go into some shaky places, but given the economy and the sheer number of liquor stores per mile, I did quite well for myself.

Thanks for that report. A friend of mine works in Detroit and I've been after him to do some hunting in the city. Only trouble is - he's a single malt guy, but he does like an occasional bourbon.

I'll renew my efforts.

Jeff

I found a number of the BHCs in a few stores, picked up a couple WT12s (split), 1990 EWSB and some out of production Bowmore SMSW.

I didn't even get a chance to hit the small stores where one is likely to find the older bottles - but I was with my wife and child.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.