Anyone else like Sambuca?...

brian12069
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For a change of pace, every now and again, I enjoy a nice Sambuca on the rocks, or a peppermint schnapps. Kinda goes against what we enjoy here. It's almost like a treat? A dessert? Like a sweet candy? Anyone else enjoy a pour of these?

I occasionally enjoy Butterscotch Schnapps over ice, or a baileys over ice, or both mixed together over ice (mixed in a shot glass they are a popular 'shot' drinks known as CS Cowboy in Australia....not sure about other countries):grin:

Otherwise, I have two favourite 'alternative' drinks to bourbon at the moment....both with a common theme -

The first is Butterscotch Scnapps infused with Chillis and a sprig of rosemary. It's very sweet with a real chilli flavour and burn.

The second is a Chilli Wine made only from chilli at Disaster Bay Chillis in Australia. It's something that has to be tasted to be believed :cool:

There's some great tasting notes for the chilli wine here -

https://www.nicks.com.au/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=10639

or on the Disaster Bay web site:

www.disasterbaychillies.com

Peppermint schnapps, kept in the freezer, may be the most refreshing beverage around after mowing the lawn on a hot, North Carolina day. Still homesick, yet loving California,

I have a bottle of Sambucca, but I got it because I couldn't find any pastis and I needed the anise flavor for my false Sazerac cocktails. Its pretty good, but I still want some Pernod.

Tim

I enjoy a nice Sambuca on the rocks...Anyone else enjoy a pour of these?

Rarely. But after Italian food when I'm letting my money flow at a restaurant I do enjoy Sambuca.... with coffee beans and all.

Lately, I've also enjoyed some coffee liqueur that is actually beer based. A friend of mine got it for his bar where they only have a license to sell beer and wine, not spirits. He got a case and is still on the first bottle so I've taken a few bottles off of his hands. Anyway, it is tasty on occaission.

Tim, check out the arrack cocktails and punches in Jerry Thomas' 1862 text and you will have plenty use for that Sambucca. I enjoy it on occasion, but to me it is precisely no more or less than any other anise spirit of the Mediterranean basin. Whether French Pernod, Anice (an Italian version), arrack/arak from any Arab country, raki from Turkey, or call it what you will, these all partake of a similar tradition and will vary essentially only in their degree of sweetness (which can be adjusted easily to taste). A Sazerac made with Sambucca is not a false Sazerac.

gary

Thanks, Gary. You told me that, before, but I guess I'm having a hard time getting it through my thick skull.

Tim

It is just an opinion, of course. I find more and more as time goes by I am getting a taste for such drinks. I didn't use to like them but slowly I am becoming accustomed. I still like them mostly as a light accent, e.g. in the Sazerac.

Gary

I've liked Sambuca for years. Partial to the Black versions myself but not the cheap stuff.

I"m italian, we have to like sambuca, but my favorite is putting a little buca in my coffee. That is a great drink.

One of these times, I'm going to have to try a nip of pastis neat, but it just might be too intense. I've only had it as either a few drops in a Sazerac, or diluted with water "absinthe-style" with some sugar syrup. It's quite a refreshing drink when I'm in the mood for it.

Pontarlier-Anis, which gets its green tint without added coloring, has a spectacular "louche" effect, even if it isn't really absinthe...

• 1 month later...

I like sambuca, either Romana or Molinari (?). I do not like the cheap imitations (Sambuca de Amore is battery acid). I enjoy it straight up with coffee beans. I use Absente for a Sazarac.

Charles

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for a good bottle of Buca. Does anybody know a good brand?

Also what do you think about Tuaca? I know Nothing about it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.