Bourbon and cola, tonic, etc.

mrt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I like bourbon neat, however, especially at the beginning of the summer here, I like some bourbon mixes as well. I tried the mint julep first, it was very good, IMO. Then I tried bourbon and tonic water on the rocks, it was good, too. Today, I prepared a bourbon-cola mix. on the rocks ( 2 oz. bourbon and 2-3 oz. cola). This was very good, too.

Important point is that, IMO, I can taste the bourbon "taste" regardless of whatever mix. it is in. In all aspects, I mean the flavour, the finish, etc. Only "body" is lost of course..Then, given that bourbon preserves its main characteristics in mixtures, then it can be enjoyed in this way as well as it can be enjoyed neat. There's much opposition on the internet for mixing, but for now, I'm opposing the opposition and I enjoy bourbon both neat or by mixing. What do you think?

I agree with you mrt and the bourbon and Canadian whisky markets surely depend on the logic you enunciated; were it otherwise the vast proportion of bourbon and Canadian whisky buyers would not mix, yet we know they do.

The same logic applies to cocktails.

Gary

IMHO ("H" in this context, anyway :grin: ) passing up the pleasure that mixed drinks can bring is equal to passing up the pleasure that drinking neat can bring. The only difference is that the latter may require a better quality bourbon.

In the past I was guilty of snobbery in that regard. What I have learned here has almost cured me of that failing. Now the only reason I seldom mix is mostly due to my unadventurous nature, mixed with a dash of laziness.

At least I no longer feel as though I'm betraying some noble cause when I nearly fill a tall glass with ginger ale and ice, and then top it off with a shot or two of bourbon or, more likely, mid-shelf rye.

I also drink an occasional whiskey sour when my wife and I eat at a better-than-average restaurant. I've found that adding a mere two words to my drink order makes a world of difference in most places. The two words? "Wild Turkey"

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

An Old Fashioned is a fine drink, and I use pretty good stuff when I make them.

If it's going to be bourbon and Coke, then I use Evan Williams.

Now the only reason I seldom mix is mostly due to my unadventurous nature, mixed with a dash of laziness.

Ditto on the laziness. And cutting a few calories here and there sure doesn't hurt!

I used to drink my bourbon in shots and/or mix it with my beer. My favorite was to mix Wild Turkey (I’ve made this with 101, RB, KS, and RR101 but it doesn’t have to be Wild Turkey, any will do.) with Fantome saison ale (Preferably Noel or Automne) to make a boilermaker (without the shot glass) that I called The Fantome Turkey. I don’t know if fantome really translates to “phantom†or “ghost†but it sounds cool. Then one day I was in a store and found myself buying a snifter and later discovered that I enjoyed it more this way. I still make the Fantome Turkey’s occasionally but I typically don’t use any premium bourbons to make them.

WT101 (or any of the stronger bourbons out there) with Wild Cherry Pepsi is pretty good too.

I used to drink my bourbon in shots and/or mix it with my beer. My favorite was to mix Wild Turkey (I’ve made this with 101, RB, KS, and RR101 but it doesn’t have to be Wild Turkey, any will do.) with Fantome saison ale (Preferably Noel or Automne) to make a boilermaker (without the shot glass) that I called The Fantome Turkey. I don’t know if fantome really translates to “phantom” or “ghost” but it sounds cool. Then one day I was in a store and found myself buying a snifter and later discovered that I enjoyed it more this way. I still make the Fantome Turkey’s occasionally but I typically don’t use any premium bourbons to make them.

WT101 (or any of the stronger bourbons out there) with Wild Cherry Pepsi is pretty good too.

I guess my answer here is 'more power to you' and 'been there, done that". I have tried just about every mixed drink and soda w/bourbon. At my age & in my thinking though, I am way past that now. If not neat or with a couple of ice cubes, it ain't gonna work for me.

An Old Fashioned is a fine drink, and I use pretty good stuff when I make them.

If it's going to be bourbon and Coke, then I use Evan Williams.

I haven't had the new Evan William's no age statement yet, but I think the old 7 year old ranks as a pretty good bourbon.

I have tried Booker's and Coke, remembering what Booker Noe said, "I don't care if you mix Booker's with Coke, but if you do it will be the best damn Bourbon and Coke you have ever had." Or words to that effect. I found that I disagree with him. I love Booker's neat or with a little water, but in Coke I found that this flavorful bourbon overpowered the Coke. It was less enjoyable than either on its own.

I don't drink much Bourbon and Coke. What I have found so far is that younger bourbons mix well and older bourbons don't. I. W. Harper (four years old, I think) is particularly nice. I don't have anything against using expensive bourbon in a Bourbon and Coke, if it is the best bourbon for the job. After all, here in Japan, fresh squeezed lime juice is nearly as expensive as Booker's. I certainly don't have anything against using lime juice in a mixed drink.

Ed

I've made a Sazerac using the 18yo Sazerac Rye... once. It was out-of-this-world good, though! But they're wonderful drinks even with less-expensive, easier-to-find ryes, so I normally go with Saz Jr., Rittenhouse BIB, or WT rye.

Nothing wrong with a mixed bourbon drink, as long as you don't waste a refined complex bourbon on it. Just $ down the drain.

Kevin

For warm weather refreshment, I like what I call "brown zinfandel." It's bourbon and about five parts cold water. Not what you want for serious tasting, but it's as refreshing as iced tea. Actually, I got the idea from Booker Noe and he called it Kentucky Iced Tea.

For warm weather refreshment, I like what I call "brown zinfandel." It's bourbon and about five parts cold water. Not what you want for serious tasting, but it's as refreshing as iced tea. Actually, I got the idea from Booker Noe and he called it Kentucky Iced Tea.

I am a big fan of your Brown Zinfandel and have it from time to time. However, I think that it has a place in a serious tasting, only a part, mind you. Getting away from the high alcohol content lets you focus on the other flavors and scents in the taste and nose. Of course, you would then need to taste it as it comes out of the bottle, or better, out of the barrel.

Ed

I am a big fan of your Brown Zinfandel and have it from time to time. However, I think that it has a place in a serious tasting, only a part, mind you. Getting away from the high alcohol content lets you focus on the other flavors and scents in the taste and nose. Of course, you would then need to taste it as it comes out of the bottle, or better, out of the barrel.

Ed

I agree with you insofar as if you can taste the whiskey, you're tasting, and you should dilute at whatever level works for you. There is something different to be learned at just about every level of dilution.

But the other side of it is that it is another way to just enjoy whiskey too. You see, from time to time, people wondering about drinking whiskey with meals, yet few seem to make this obvious suggestion.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.