19 YO Hirsch

jsgorman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've got a nice collection of Hirsch 20s and 16s in the original Blue/Red wax versions and was wondering what an appropriate trade might be for a 19YO version -- or if anyone has one or more in the bunker that they'd even consider parting with...

I saw a bottle on ebay with a starting bid (and no takers) of $800 -- which is Lotto-Crazy money...

Thanks!

I’m going to stray off the usual answer of “it’s worth what someone is willing to pay†and go off on what will probably “cause a stir†here.

When trading….I trade at the value I paid. Considering that the Hirsch 16’s originally sold for under $70 and the 20’s for under $90….I would want to trade for an equally limited bottle in that same original price range. If you don’t have an equally limited bottle in that price range, what’s fair??? In my opinion, no more than double the price. If you want more than that, you are no longer trading/selling in a friendly community….you’re in it for the profit and I’m not interested!

I have a hostility built up for the members of this site that use the information they learn here to profit off “hunting†trips and sales on e-bay or inflated trade deals. There are no rules here….but….I’ve met some great people through this site…..I’ve tasted some awesome limited bourbons through my affiliation with this site….and I’ve obtained desirable bottles through my affiliation with this site. I wouldn’t want to screw that up!

Dawn

I'm more interested in trading than buying - especially from my bunker. Every bottle is there for a reason, and I fell in love with Hirsch when it originally came out.

I really want a 19YO, and saw a guy on eBay that wants 800 clams as an opening bid. I asked if he didn't sell what he'd be willing to trade and he wanted 4 20s. I guess I don't want it that bad.

As far as trading the 16s - I'm open to a trade. I skew towards older (tax stamp) and out of production stuff.

The best I have is Pappy 23, Hirsch 16 gold wax, Evan Williams 23, 2 OPVW 15/107s from Lawrenceburg, Distillers Masterpiece 20 year. If any interest you let me know.

I have a hostility built up for the members of this site that use the information they learn here to profit off “hunting†trips and sales on e-bay or inflated trade deals. There are no rules here….but….I’ve met some great people through this site…..I’ve tasted some awesome limited bourbons through my affiliation with this site….and I’ve obtained desirable bottles through my affiliation with this site. I wouldn’t want to screw that up!

Dawn

I couldn't agree more Dawn.

Joe :usflag:

jsgorman, send me a private message if you are interested in a trade. no need to clutter the threads here.

Cheers to that Dawn. We had a very good swap where I found something that she wanted and she provided me with something I could not find. Both same value and I think we were both happy with the outcome.

I think each person has an inherent value for something and I don't begrudge someone that places a higher value than myself. I think it only fair to trade at 'market' value -- not just for myself but to the other person.

For example, I really like SW 'Old Fitzgerald' -- and covet a bottle of Very, Very Old Fitzgerald. If I could find someone that would trade me at the equivalent of release price for the VVOF, I'd be taking advantage of him/her.

I’m going to stray off the usual answer of “it’s worth what someone is willing to pay†and go off on what will probably “cause a stir†here.

When trading….I trade at the value I paid. Considering that the Hirsch 16’s originally sold for under $70 and the 20’s for under $90….I would want to trade for an equally limited bottle in that same original price range. If you don’t have an equally limited bottle in that price range, what’s fair??? In my opinion, no more than double the price. If you want more than that, you are no longer trading/selling in a friendly community….you’re in it for the profit and I’m not interested!

Dawn

I pretty much agree with Dawn on this issue, but would just add that there are some things that I don't think any of us, or very very few at least, would trade either for what we paid or for anything at all. A 2002 Stagg for instance, I doubt anyone would let one go for original price, if there is anyone who would I am interested! :lol:

I will also add that the limited bottle swapping I have done with members here has been more than pleasurable and I'd always consider doing so again down the road...

I also agree with Dawn and I'll make this statement flat out and back it up in any way possible. The few bottlings I have bought for trade or as a favor for members of the board I have NEVER asked more than I paid for. I try to even include the sales slip so that the receiver knows that this is so. This community is like family to me and if there's a bottle on the shelf that I'm lucky enough to find locally that someone else is looking for, I feel honored to be able to act as their agent and get it for them. Granted it's because I don't want it as I have it or I won't pay the price being asked.

I must say that there are times that I feel guilty afterward because I've gotten someone something at the price asked and later found one at a price I'm willing to pay for it. Such a thing happened with a member here and a bottle of Hirsch 20. The store up the street had a bottle for a LARGE amount I was not willing to pay. So I let the people here know I could get it and at what price. Someone wanted it and I picked it up for them and eventually the bottle was delivered. Six or so months later I happened upon a bottle for about HALF what that bottle cost and I bought it for myself. It was what I was willing to pay but to this day I still feel guilty.

Dane

Don't feel bad, I think both of us got a deal on the Hirsch 20 bottles. Your's was just a better deal.

I've been reading and researching and studying and lurking for weeks. This is an encyclopedia set of information to absorb, about the history and traditions of not ONLY Bourbon, but distilling in general. Some of those who contribute I'd be speechless to even stand in front of.

If anyone, EVER, mistreats the members of this board for short term advantage, they've got their priorities confused.

Nice bunch of people you've got here. If there's an exception or two, they've not ruined the flavor. I'm very proud to be able to peek in. Thanks.. :bowdown:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.