Bourbon Idol

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bourbon Idol Finalists  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Bourbon Idol Finalists

• Maker's Mark
    • Booker's
    • Pappy Van Winkle 15yo
    • Elijah Craig 18yo
    • Woodford Reserve

Well, I'm leaving town for a few days and won't be able to post June's BOTM on time, so I thought, while I'm gone why not jump on the American Idol bandwagon and let the voter's decide! So, I have chosen your five finalists for June BOTM and you have until June 6th to get your votes in. Although the software won't allow for unlimited voting, in true AI style I'm allowing you to vote for as many as you like, with the understanding that, if you vote for all 5, you'll have negated your vote.

Now Bourbonia, who will be your next Bourbon Idol?:cool:

Now Bourbonia, who will be your next Bourbon Idol?:cool:

I have voted for MM and WR, not because I think that they are the best bourbons on the list, but rather because they are both nearly universally available, and because either should produce a really good discussion.

Maker's is no doubt a very well made bourbon, but it is often disparaged here as being bland. Others like it. It would be nice to see how it fares when people, many of whom haven't had it in a long time, taste it critically.

Woodford Reserve seems to generate a range of opinions, but in general, I think it is regarded more highly here than MM. Again, it would be nice to see how if does under some dritical examination.

Jeff

Along the lines of Ann Arbor Jeff's (AA Jeff? shouldn't that be updated to BT Jeff?) proposals for MM and WR, I think the Elijah Craig 18 is a great choice for discussion, as it should have a balanced and wide-ranging discussion.

On the other hand, a month-long Pappy lovefest? Why not just create an SB.com Bourbonia Hall of Fame, put the Pappy 15 into and cut out the middle man? I say Pappy's fer drinkin' not talkin'

Roger

PS - I started my father-in-law out with a bottle of Pappy 15. Somehow, other bourbons just don't measure up so easily.

My buddy was showing off his GTS and gave it to a friend to try. Now everything he samples is "It's good, but no George T. Stagg".

Maker's is no doubt a very well made bourbon, but it is often disparaged here as being bland. Others like it. It would be nice to see how it fares when people, many of whom haven't had it in a long time, taste it critically.Jeff

Exactly my thought.

I have actually longed for an opportunity to enter the ring and exchange a few jabs with the MM detractors. :)

I voted for Maker's Mark because Lennart told me to. :grin:

Seriously, all of the reasons others have given are valid. I especially favor a selection that is widely available, even in areas as poorly supplied as Sweden and central Arizona, USA. Perhaps a good policy would be to alternate between widely available bottlings and those that are less so.

That reminds me, I had forgotten about my bottle of 1783 (is that right?), which I set aside after my mishap while opening it. No Wild Turkey for me tonight.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Well I am not sure which I should vote for. The one on the list that I have never had, the one on the list that I have had but never had my own bottle of, the one that I know I'll love and would like to have another bottle of, the one I used to love but decided I wouldn't buy again because of recent discoveries in the same category or the other one that I am pretty indifferent to. Can you guess which of those is which? Probably not with those clues...

I think I'll sleep on it and vote tomorrow.

Pappy 15, the only way to go!!!!!!!!!!

A fantastic bourbon and it deserved BotM by Far!:bowdown:!!!!!!

I voted for Maker's Mark because Lennart told me to. :grin:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Bah! My extraterrestial telepathic powers which I have used extensively to wield power over the forum, now shamefully exposed! :grin:

On a more serious note, I wouldn´t mind discussing more "every day stuff". It´s probably something like four years ago since I tried Beam white, for instance. I reckon a subject like that would result in more versatility of opinions. Not to mention, giving me an excuse to pick up my first bottle in ages. :)

In the future, with the thread name perhaps altered to "American whisk(e)y of the month, discussions about Dickel No. 12 and even 7 Crown could take place. Much more interesting to me than surefire winners like Stagg or Pappy.

They may not be most popular, but I've voted for bottles available in the Australian market - Makers Mark, Bookers and Woodford Reserve.

This way I have an excuse to head down to the local bottle shop and pick up the latest BOTM....:cool:

I have only had one of those off the list:cry:

- Maker's Mark

And that was sometime ago, I do remember that I enjoyed it??

Unfortunately I won't have my PVW 15 in time to make a vote on that either:cry: :cry:

It´s probably something like four years ago since I tried Beam white...Not to mention, giving me an excuse to pick up my first bottle in ages

DON'T DO IT...AHHHH, be a savour to the enviroment, use less petrol(or gas as you guys call it) and fuel your automobile with it!!

Na...just kidding:slappin:

I actually just had a thought, due to the low expense of this, it would make a great re-barrelling bourbon!!

This is my first post after joining today and lurking for several months. I voted for PVW15. I have never tried this bourbon and this would give me a great excuse. I will have to mail order it as it is the NC ABC stores do not carry it.

Welcome, Macon. Good to see another Tar Heel fan. I moved out here last year, and it is impossible to explain ACC Basketball to people who have never lived in NC. During the Duke games, my neighbors thought something was wrong, because they usually don't hear me yelling at the TV.

On Topic, I voted for Booker's, because I want an excuse to buy it.

I've got to go with the PVW 15. For my money, it is the best of the Winkle expressions (although I've got to admit that I've bought, but not sampled, the 23 yr old.).

More interesting than the twenty year old... more refined and complex than the infamous 12 yr old Lot B.... the 15 rules!

I've got to go with the PVW 15. For my money, it is the best of the Winkle expressions (although I've got to admit that I've bought, but not sampled, the 23 yr old.).

More interesting than the twenty year old... more refined and complex than the infamous 12 yr old Lot B.... the 15 is my favorite VW.

Sam, it is always hard to explain big four basketball to non-believers. A least you were here for the great ride in 04-05. On topic, I had a bottle of the Bookers and it had that licorice flavor that all Beam borboun has and for me a little of that flavor goes a long way. The Elijah C 18 has that to some degree but I like that a lot.

OK I am not voting for WR because I finished a bottle recently and since I am moving in a month I just don't want one more bottle around that I am not that fond of. Not voting for Bookers for similar reasons and I'd rather spend that much on Stagg or get OGD 114 for less money. SO, that narrows it to 3, 2 of which I think I'll vote for. Probably not Pappy because I think I'd have to drive too far to get a bottle.

I

DON'T DO IT...AHHHH, be a savour to the enviroment, use less petrol(or gas as you guys call it) and fuel your automobile with it!!

Na...just kidding:slappin:

Yes, but that´s actually part of the enjoyment for me. The "academic" side of whiskey tasting is not so prevalent for me that it threatens to override the hedonistic aspect, but it is there, nonetheless.

The last time I had Beam was some four years ago when I was offered a glass at a party. Granted, the tasting conditions were far from optimal but I remember quite enjoying it. :)

Sam, it is always hard to explain big four basketball to non-believers.

I was born and raised in Sweden´s leading basketball city, so I´m quite familiar with it. I don´t think I´ve ever run across the term "big four", though.

As for Booker´s : the problem here, as I see it, is that differs quite a lot from batch to batch. I´ve also had bottles where liquorice is predominant but others have been almost without it. Which make´s discussions about it a bit fickle.

Then again, we had the same problem with Rare Breed.

I was born and raised in Sweden´s leading basketball city, so I´m quite familiar with it. I don´t think I´ve ever run across the term "big four", though.

As for Booker´s : the problem here, as I see it, is that differs quite a lot from batch to batch. I´ve also had bottles where liquorice is predominant but others have been almost without it. Which make´s discussions about it a bit fickle.

Then again, we had the same problem with Rare Breed.

The term big four refers to the 4 large universities in and around Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and Winston Salem (formally Wake Forrest) North Carolina. UNC, Duke, NC State and Wake Forrest are the big 4. During the 60's and 70's there was a pre-season tourny in Greensboro between these 4 schools. Sort of a local and fairly conceited term for our local teams.

For the bookers, I have only tried the one bottle and had not read that it was so variable from batch to batch. I will have to give it another try, maybe at a bar so I only risk a small amount of money.

I only wanted to vote for one since only one can be considered the best of the 5. What it came down to for me was the PVW15 and the EC18 and so I had a little tasting. Someday I will try the PVW15, which although tasty is slightly ruined by a little too much alcohol burn imo, with a bit of water and I’m sure it will be even better, but until that day I would say the EC18 is the best out of that 5. And now… back to Half-Life 2: Episode One :D

I went for Booker's straight away. I like all the VW range but prefer the 10 YO and Lot B to the 15 to be honest (I know I am in the minority on this.)

Booker's reminds me of my motorcycle days - tanking down country lanes at breakneck speed not knowing (or caring) what's round the next bend! In fact Booker's is more like doing that at night wearing no helmet with your lights turned off! Dangerous but fun.

I will always have a soft spot for this full on, in ya face but easily quaffable whiskey. The other thing about the high proof boys such as Booker's and GTS is that it is (at least for me) impossible to have one too many. You know that after one or two large ones it's Goodnight Irene!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.