Storing and Preserving Bottles

TimmyBoston
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been drinking whiskey for the last few years, but only in the last year or so have I been amassing any kind of what one would call a "collection". Nearly all of my bottles are open and won't be finished any time in the near future. I also have a handful of bottles that are unopened and currently out of production which I would like save for uncoming years on special occassions.

How can go about preserving my opened bottles? How will they last unattended?

How about unopened ones? How long will they last?

Thanks, guys!

Cheers

Timmy,

Please try the search function. If I knew how to post a link, I'd do it for you. Can someone send me a tutorial in a pm on how to post a link??

Dawn

This topic has, indeed, been discussed at length. The conclusion I reached from those threads is to tip the bottle once a month or so, to keep the cork moist. Otherwise, I don't worry about it. Nothing sits around too long here after it's opened though.

Tip them once a week into a glass and you won't have the problem!!!

Dawn,

I recently sent just such a thing via PM. Let's see whether I saved it. If so, you'll receive it shortly.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Once a week, the wife and I do a bourbon bonding thing (kinky), we take each bottle out and roll it around the living room for one lap and then back in to the cabinet.

Smack!!! That was yet again the sound of my wife straightening out the back of my head after reading over my shoulder.

If Dave's tutorial works....here's another link :)

Storage suggestions

Dawn

PS. Dave....it took me four tries.....but I got it :) Thanks :)

Yeah, it's a drag the first few times. After a while your fingers will do it without conscious control.

I would credit the person who showed me how shortly after the new forum software came on line, if I could recall who it was.

Back on-topic: Only once has a bottle of bourbon gone bad in my possession. I didn't know not to store it on its side in those days. In fact I was proud of myself for according it the same careful storage as my wine. I seldom drank bourbon in those days, and after a few years it took on the aroma of a dirty sweat sock that had begun to rot. Partly for that reason I stuck with JD No. 7 for many years. The bottle that I disrespected to death was Evan Williams 12 y/o, which is no longer in distribution in the USA. I doubt that I'll ever get a chance to update my horrid memory of it.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.