The Barton Product Line

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In a thread about Black Maple Hill one thing led to another, and the subject of Barton bottlings came up.

Chuck, I've already registered my lukewarm response to the Ridgemont Reserve 1792 (year of The Whiskey Rebellion? I should check). At the time, it was easier to order it from Hi Time than drive to Phoenix, so I didn't check. I guess Hi Time is no longer an option, having stopped shipping liquor out of CA.

After trying the 1792, not only am I less likely to try the Ten High that you mentioned, I may quit bugging my son to snag a bottle of Barton BIB on one of his trips to Cincy.

Am I correct to assume that there's a family resemblance and that the 1792 is the cream of the crop?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

1792, Kentucky statehood.

I would say the Barton 1792 is more of a departure. Ten High is a small investment and if you don't like it, then you can stop wishing for a chance to try the VOB.

Dave,

FWIW, I am also lukewarm toward the 1792, although a little more forgiving than you. I consider the VOB 90 to be a distinctly better bourbon, and while I have not done a side-by-side, I did not notice any family resemblence (I sometimes have; Stagg brought OC 12 to mind at first drink, and something similar happened with BH and OGD 114). I've not had the Ten High.

Bob

Back in the days of the glut--the good old days in some ways--Barton was putting whiskey into Ten High that was much older than four years and it was my every day pour. It was at least the equal of VOB and probably was very nearly the same whiskey. Today it's not as good as it was then, but still worth a try for, as I said, the relatively low investment.

Chuck,

The biggest plus to me is that it's available right here in central Arizona at what may be the world's smallest liquor store (inexplicably called "Liquor Barn" -- must have been small cattle in these parts, back in the day).

The next time I feel like going bottom-shelf, perhaps after a stock market sell-off, I'll pick up a bottle.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

The next time I feel like going bottom-shelf, perhaps after a stock market sell-off, I'll pick up a bottle.

This just might be the week.

I like the VOB 90 better than the 1792, but I do taste the family resemblance. Still, I pine for when VOB was an 8 YO, 86 proof, except for the 100 BIB.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.