Dickel 1987 vintage ???

Hedmans Brorsa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One of the most mysterious American whisk(e)ys assessed in Jim Murray´s Whisky Bible is the "George Dickel aged 10 years distilled in or before 1986".

I have tried to find info about this particular bottling, without any success whatsovever.

Today, I at least moved a little closer towards enlightenment when I found this bottling at one of those seemingly countless German online shops.

George Dickel 1987, 10yo. This is the first time I´ve heard of any such bottling. Have anyone else seen or heard of this one?

post-6-14489812406139_thumb.jpg

One of the most mysterious American whisk(e)ys assessed in Jim Murray´s Whisky Bible is the "George Dickel aged 10 years distilled in or before 1986".

I have tried to find info about this particular bottling, without any success whatsovever.

Today, I at least moved a little closer towards enlightenment when I found this bottling at one of those seemingly countless German online shops.

George Dickel 1987, 10yo. This is the first time I´ve heard of any such bottling. Have anyone else seen or heard of this one?

Lennart,

I got both at home but I haven’t tried anyone of them.

Leif

That was most interesting to hear, Leif!

If you have the opportunity, could you please post a picture of the "...in or before 1986"?

Or failing that, a description of it would be appreciated. Surely it can´t be called that. Is it just JM who identifies it like that on the basis of what is written on the label?

Thanks!

That was most interesting to hear, Leif!

If you have the opportunity, could you please post a picture of the "...in or before 1986"?

Or failing that, a description of it would be appreciated. Surely it can´t be called that. Is it just JM who identifies it like that on the basis of what is written on the label?

Thanks!

Lennart,

I have tried before to attaché a picture of my on and flailed but I will try again. If it will work it will be my whole Dickel line-up.

Leif

post-944-14489812406411_thumb.jpg

post-944-14489812406816_thumb.jpg

post-944-14489812407196_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot, Leif! Nice pictures!

It must be the second bottle from the right, I gather?

I see '1986' on the neck label but where do you think JM got that thing about "distilled in or before 1986"?

Does the back label give any clues to this?

Thanks a lot, Leif! Nice pictures!

It must be the second bottle from the right, I gather?

I see '1986' on the neck label but where do you think JM got that thing about "distilled in or before 1986"?

Does the back label give any clues to this?

Lennart,

The letters are very small. On the neck it say: Distilled in or before 1986/1987. It is the “in or before†that is real small letters.

Leif

• 3 months later...

I have a 10 year old 1987 bottle, it's about an inch away from being empty. I haven't sampled this for about 4 years, so I can't really tell you much, although I know I liked it enough to hang on to it - I love my Jack, but I seem to think I liked this Dickel bottling better, and that was when Jack was 86 proof as well. If I visit this bottle any time soon, I will let you know what I think. I found the bottle about 5 years ago, sitting in the corner of a store room at a store I was relieving at. Needless to say it was very dusty, but that's probably as exciting as dusty find get here in Oz :grin: Although in saying that, there's a very dusty litre of 86 proof Jack at work, but that doesn't count because I stashed it myself :lol:

In 1995 United Distillers changed the label for Dickel 12 to create the Dickel 10 year old for the overseas market. You will not find any of this label older than 1995. It may be that you may not find any for 1995 because they were rather slow about changing the label and getting it to market since they were in the middle of selling their bottling operation and preparing to sell many of their bourbon labels.

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.