Dogfish Head Burton Baton

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is a Burton ale-style beer launched in the past couple of years by Dogfish Head, a very respected U.S. East Coast microbrewer.

I heard it is supposed to reflect the character of the old Ballantine India Pale Ale, or that, melded to a true Burton character.

Has anyone tried this? How would you describe the taste?

Gary

I have heard of it, but have never seen that brand in my area. The particular bottling you mention sounds highly interesting, though. While, like most U.S. Americans, I was weaned on lager and pilsner style beers, ales have come to be my favorites.

Tim

I heard it is supposed to reflect the character of the old Ballantine India Pale Ale, or that, melded to a true Burton character.

From the name, I would suspect that it was to resemble not the Ballantine IPA but rather the private stock Ballantine Burton ale, which was brewed annually and aged for some time (years) in wood before bottling as gifts for emplyees and friends of the brewery.

If you do a Google search for Ballantine Burton, you will get some good information on this rare old beer. This web site is pretty good, though there are broken links.

It shows up occasionally on online auctions. I have had a few home-brewed versions from a brewer in Califorina whom I helped with recipe formulation. (Historic American adjunct beers are a special interest of mine.)

Jeff

Many thanks Jeff, and I think you are right, it was intended to duplicate or recall the Ballantine Burton - long aged I believe and of which Ballantine IPA was a junior version perhaps. I think IPA and maybe Burton had a good part of their character from Bullion. Ah the old beers of Ballantine..

Gary

Ah the old beers of Ballantine..

Gary

I loved Ballantine IPA Gary. I still have a cigar box full of those bottle caps which had the puzzles inside. I sometimes ask my friends to solve a bottle cap riddle before I give them a drink.

Joe :usflag:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.