Mojito recipe?

T47
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A few months back I had a BBQ where I made Mojitos using a premixed bottle from Williams Sonoma. I am going to a friends for a BBQ on Thursday and his wife wanted me to make them again. Problem is I will not be able to get to Williams Sonoma before we go there. I have found some recipes on line, but was wondering if anyone here had a recipe they enjoyed.

Thanks.

IMHO, Mojitos and most cocktails, should be made fresh and not using any premade mixers.

I like to make them by using 3-4 lime slices and crushing 7-8 pieces of fresh mint into lime. Add juice of another lime. Top with shaved or crushed ice in about a 8-10 oz glass. Use equal parts simple syrup (easy to make yourself) and rum (an unaged white rum works great), about 2 oz of each. Top off with some club soda and stir. A slice of sugarcane makes a nice garnish, but is optional.

By the way, a chain restaurant called Bahama Breeze makes a damn good Mojito using about in this method. If you want to try it, there is one of these restaurants over by Southcenter Mall in Tukwilla.

Thanks Wade, I will give this recipe a try. I guess one more question would be about the Rum to use. I am not a Rum drinker...and usually have just used the Captain Morgans rum when I make my wife drinks. You recomend "an unaged white rum works great"...any particular brand I should look for...will a better Rum make the drink better?

You can use any white rum but in its home land this drink was made with a white or pale unrefined rum that has a strong taste of fermenting cane sugar solution. Some of these distilleries (not just in Cuba, but in the Caribbean generally) used (use?) wild yeasts or a combo of that and cultured yeast to start the new season's fermentation. Drinks such as are mentioned are best using such rums, not highly rectified bland rums.

One is Wray & Nephew's Overproof from Jamaica, another the 3 year old rum from Cuba made by Havana Club. There are numerous others, many made in the French islands.

Gary

Well Gentlemen, thanks for the assist. Wade, my wife and I tried the recipe tonight and it is excellent. Very nice flavor, much more minty than the mix I had used, and much more refreshing. I like the look of the lime and mint in the glass as well...I was not supposed to strain it was I? In any event, an excellent drink that I am looking forward to bringing to our friends.

Gillman, I find that my local liquor store has a worse selection of Rum than bourbon! They did not have the bottle you suggested. I picked up a bottle of Appleton White Jamaican Rum. They have a huge selection of flavored rums, and several different Bacardi's. The guy at the store recommended strongly some golden rums, a Cockspur 12 and a Mount Gay? I choose to stick with the light...knowing nothing at all.

Anyway, the drinks were great thanks again!

Glad you enjoyed it! I think this is a very good outdoor summer drink (now if it would warm up a little around Seattle). Leave the mint and lime in glass. You can adjust the mint to taste; different types of mint I feel have different potencys.

I just checked the WA state website liquor board. Some stores do have the WRAY & NEPHEW WHITE OVERPROOF RUM that Gary mentioned for $22. I have not tried that. Gary should know that we can't buy products made in Cuba!

The Appleton White Jamaican Rum I think was a good choice as well.

It sounds like this may be a "Majito Summer". Bacardi is hyping this drink big time on TV, Billboards, and print ads. Maybe you've seen the commercial with the bartender muddling the mint, lime and sugar to the Latin beat? Whoo!! Bacardi has recipes, the commercials, etc. on www.bacardimojito.com. I mixed up a couple over the weekend, and they were quite good. It's in the 90's, sunny, and dry down South here in Hotlanta, so this drink goes down very well.

Cheers!

JOE

I really enjoyed the recipe that Wade passed on. Though I found the mint flavor stronger than the mix I had used prior, I enjoyed the flavor and found the mint refreshing, not over powering. The recipe Wade forwarded calls for 7 to 8 pieces of mint, I did use 7 whole mint leaves. The Bacardi recipe calls for 12...Now for me that might indeed be overpowering...but I don't know...it also used a little less simple syrup. My wife is not a big drinker, she prefers sweet drinks with just a slight alcohol taste...this recipe hit that spot perfectly. Of course I have some Mojito rimmer (lime flavored sugar) I put on the glass...should be a great BBQ summer. Hands down this drink is much prettier and more flavorful than the pre-mix version...and really easy to make.

Todd, it's interesting that you questioned whether to strain the mix. I did too! There's alot of stuff in there. But, I really found myself enjoying the transition from lime to mint, and back again, with each sip/bite. I assume we are correct to leave it in? I've had a few now, and I am adjusting to suit our tastes. I'm finding that cutting back on the syrup makes it a little more crisp. I seem to prefer this on the hot days.

JOE

Glad you enjoyed it! I think this is a very good outdoor summer drink (now if it would warm up a little around Seattle). Leave the mint and lime in glass. You can adjust the mint to taste; different types of mint I feel have different potencys

I agree, its one of the things that makes it much better than the "pre-mix" version. The travel channel or food tv did a show on the history of Cocktails. The short version is that they were always meant to be made with real ingredients and it is what makes them special and flavorful, and a lost art in many cases. If I recall correctly they say the first Cocktail is the Sazerac? I am sure there is already a thread covering this topic however.

Anyway, I am in the process of making another batch of simple syrup to fill a bottle I just cleaned out...

This will just be another treat for the guests as they patiently await my Pork Butt which always ends up taking longer than I planned!

:toast:

Appleton White is a good choice, it has some character and is not too bland. Still, next to Wray & Nephew's Overproof Rum it is quite different. The mint and lime in Wade's recipe would perfectly match the strong unrefined taste of the Overproof (although its feisty taste is not for all to be sure). I have to remember that Cuban rums are not available in the U.S. But Wray & Nephew is a good alternative and the young unrefined rums around the Caribbean are not all that different. I like dark and golden rums but for this drink a white rum seems to me essential although it would work probably too with a dark rum (after all, think of the mint julep).

Gary

Instead of simple syrup, (High Carbs and non-diabetic friendly) use Diet 7-up to muddle and top off.

Lots of time, I do make my own simple syrup. Living in coffee land, we have a tremendous selection of flavored syrups available. One brand, DaVinci Gourmet, makes a Sugar Free (Splenda based) Simple Syrup. I can pick up a bottle of this at a Cash and Carry grocery place for $4. Works great for those low cal drinks.

I also use this in the morning in my coffee. True, I could just open a package of Splenda, but I have a pour nozzle on bottle and like pouring a shot (3 seconds is perfect) into coffee.

Lots of time, I do make my own simple syrup. Living in coffee land, we have a tremendous selection of flavored syrups available. One brand, DaVinci Gourmet, makes a Sugar Free (Splenda based) Simple Syrup. I can pick up a bottle of this at a Cash and Carry grocery place for $4. Works great for those low cal drinks.

I also use this in the morning in my coffee. True, I could just open a package of Splenda, but I have a pour nozzle on bottle and like pouring a shot (3 seconds is perfect) into coffee.

I've tried my own "artificial" simple syrup and its just not right.

I'll try and find the DaVinci and report back.

Thanks

:cool:

If you want to try it, there is one of these restaurants over by Southcenter Mall in Tukwilla.

So Wade,

Are you suggesting that... we all go to Tukwilla? ;)

Roger "20 year old Seattle reference" Hodges

Wade, we went to the party last night and I served up the Mojito's as we sat out on the patio enjoying appetizers. The Mojito's were as incredible as our sample night, and they are very refreshing on a nice warm evening.

I am going to have to try and make a picture of them and see how that works.

I am now out of limes so I am playing around with some Lemon Drop recipes. Vodka, some fresh squeezed lemon juice and a little simple syrup...not bad, but it's missing something...Do you have any suggestions for that one!

Thanks again.

Todd

I am now out of limes so I am playing around with some Lemon Drop recipes. Vodka, some fresh squeezed lemon juice and a little simple syrup...not bad, but it's missing something...Do you have any suggestions for that one! Todd

My wife likes Lemons Drops. Her recipe uses the above, but adds some Triple Sec or other Orange Liquour. Ratio is 2 parts simple syrup, 1 part lemon juice, 1 part Vodka, 1/2 part Triple Sec. Sometimes she tops with a little Sprite.

Wade,

I owe you thanks again. The Lemon Drop is a tastey treat on these hot days. I had a couple days off work to get caught up on yard work and some BBQ. Had the neighbors over for a little cocktail time and had Mojitos and Lemon Drops. Very refreshing and enjoyable. The splash of sprite in the LD is a nice touch, gives it a little sparkle.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife likes Mojos as well and for a change I muddle fresh rasberries in the mix. She loves them. I also use Dark Rum I got in the Dominican this past fall.

At my work BBQ last week I made dozens of those darn Mojitos...I need to try and find a way to do them in a pitcher, but it woruld probably not work...the muddled mint and lime in the glass really present well.

I think the Lemon Drop might transition well to a pitcher drink, between making drinks and tending to the BBQ I was scrambleing like crazy.

Maybe for the Mojitos I can just leave the fixings out and people can mix their own...that might work the best, with a little recipe card on the table. I have got more emails asking for the recipe any way it would have saved some time!

In addition to that a guy brought a bottle of Black Bush Irish Whisky and some Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch to try.

I hardly went through any Bourbon with the exception of my Pappy 15, they really liked the look of the bottle, and the Bourbon did not disapoint either.

I really enjoyed the Black Bush and might have to do a little more exploration into the Irish Whiskys.

I tried doing the Mojitos in a pitcher ahead of time and it just does not work. I think the lime takes over when it has too much contact with the mint.

You dont add the spirits ahead of time. I make a large batch of muddled lime, mint and simple syrup. I keep it in a bar-pour and all you have to do is pour it over the ice then add the liquour and soda.

I find that works best for me when I'm forced to BBQ and bartend. Hope it helps.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.