Some help on AMS Special Reserve 1933

jsgorman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

. . . despite repeated requests he was not afforded access.

Gary,

Because of the passage of the Freedom of Information Act in the intervening years a researcher today might be more successful. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a gadfly or two among us who knows how to invoke that law.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

You may be right Dave, also, the policy of the current administrators may have changed since the time Sam Cecil authored his book, I don't know.

By the way some online research has disclosed that the July 29, 1929 issue of Time magazine contains an article of almost 300 words on the granting of permits to some distilleries to make "bourbon and rye". The story picturesquely (per the summary) says the distilleries soon will be "steaming" to make the new liquor and without any fear of sanctions since the distilling will be legal to replenish medicinal stocks. Subscribers to Time have access to its online digital archive (available through the the main Time web site). I am not sure I want to subscribe just for this purpose (as I read the small print, you have to take a 6 month subscription to Time which I think can be stopped after, but they debit or bill you first per the terms of the access). However, it occurs to me some members of the board may subscribe to Time. If so they might be minded to pull that article and share its purport with us. That article almost certainly will state whether permits were granted on earlier occasions for a similar purpose.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

The Greenbrier question made me think of this thread, in that, with the exception of the anamoly that started this discussion, what do we always see with Prohibition-era bottlings? Whiskey that was distilled before 1920 and bottled thereafter. Likewise with the bottles from immediately after repeal. Has anyone ever seen, for example, a bottle that was supposedly "made" in 1926, for example, and bottled in 1936? That's certainly not the typical pattern. So if some replenishment distilling was done prior to 1929, where is that whiskey?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.