lower cost, better quality

kitzg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

He may well have a DSP number, but he doesn't have a distillery, i.e., there is no still at the site.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Mike,

Thanks for the information. I must agree that BT has an earthy taste to it. We did some blind taste-testing with several consumers and found out that 5% of the testers did not like the taste because it was too earthy. While this indicates that most folks liked the product, those 5% hated it! This taste attribute apparently is one you really like or really dislike.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Being new to straightbourbon.com, I have chosen to join in your discussion regarding low cost, good quality bourbon. I am relatively new to the real appreciation of bourbon. I believe it was in 1998 that I started to realize that not all bourbons are the same. Prior to then whiskey, either bourbon or blended, was for drinking in a shot glass then chaseing it with a glass of beer.

After trial and error over the last three years, I have chose three low cost, good quality bourbons that I always have in our cabinet: Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey (101), and Jim Beam Black Label. All three of these are quality bourbons in the $14.00 - $22.00 range.

Of the three I would say that Maker's Mark is my favorite. It has a such a warm smooth finish. I know from some of are discussions at this year's bourbon festival and reading through different postings that many people do not care for this bourbon. However, after the festival I still come to the conclusion that in my opinion this is a great bourbon. Originally recommeded from a friend, this is the first bourbon that I really distinquished from the very average to poor well bourbons sold at the local tavern.

Wild Turkey 101 is a more full bodied bourbon. It has a nice, yet not to harsh, kick to it. It is my bourbon of choice when our family goes on camping trips.

Jim Black Label is just a suprisingly good bourbon for its cost. I first tried it after visiting the Jim Beam distillary in Clermont, Kentucky. They actually were giving samples of their small batch bourbons, Baker's and Knobb Creek. It impressed me, however, that the lady from Jim Beams let us know that the Jim Beam product she drank the most was the Black Label. When we got home from that trip I tried it, really liked it, and it has been a regular at our house ever since.

From time to time, I will give myself a treat with some Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve or Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, but for day to day enjoyment I feel these three bourbons are excellent choices.

Todd

While I have been a big fan of Maker's Mark for many years, I enjoy it less and less as I have been tasting a larger variety of bourbons. It has a bland taste that pales in comparison to some other, even less expensive whiskeys.

My current two favorites in the inexpensive category are Elijah Craig 12 year-old and Old Forester 100 proof.

To me, the Elijah Craig has a big, bold taste that I can't really compare directly to anything else I've tried - a tasting expert I have read says that this flavor is rye, but I'm not yet educated enough to know. I just know that I like it. CAUTION - this whiskey is NOT among the smoothest bourbons, it definitely gives quite a bit of alcohol "burn". But, the maple and caramel flavors and aromas are wonderful.

The Old Forester 100 proof is quite smooth and gives a big, classic bourbon flavor. I would easily recommend it to anyone who enjoys good bourbon.

I hate to come down so hard on Maker's, but this is my experience. Of course, beautiful bourbon flavor is on the tongue of the beholder, so "your milage may vary".

Cheers, Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Todd,

I would say that you have three very good bourbons for everyday pours to friends and family. While I would say that Maker's Mark is overpriced, I do think it is a good bourbon - not my favorite, but good. If you like Maker's, you should try W L Weller Special Reserve. Like Maker's it is a 90 proof wheat recipe but unlike Maker's it has a 7 year old age statement which means you are getting an older whiskey than Maker's and it is about $3.00 to $5.00 a bottle cheaper.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hi Todd,

If you can find it in your area, you might also want to give Ancient Ancient Age 10-year-old a try. Be sure it says "Full Ten Years Old" on the label, in some states you can only get "Number 10" which is not the same bourbon at all. This brand, affectionately known as Triple-A, has long had a reputation among bourbon fans for being a high-quality whiskey whose value is not widely touted and which sells for less than it's true worth. It doesn't have the strong character that most of my other favorite bourbons do, but I enjoy it very much. And of course Maker's Mark doesn't have that strong character, either. I think you'd find it comparable. Many of us who don't care that much for Maker's enjoy AAA a lot, so if Maker's is one of your favorites it'd be fun to read your comparison of the two.

=John=

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey>http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey</A>

I find it interesting that what you consider "low cost, good quality bourbons" are all actually positioned as premiums, though not "super" premiums. I think it says a lot about how perceptions are changing. A decade ago, those three were just about the best, and most expensive, bourbons on the market.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

The Talisker Distiller's Edition is finished in Amoroso casks. I happen to like it though (as well as the standard bottling).

• 2 weeks later...

I went VERY low-priced on my purchase today and I am quite happy with the result. My Alabama ABC is running a special on Evan Williams Black Label (90 proof) at only $10.99 for 1.0 liter.

I am sipping it now. The flavor is very similar to its Heaven Hill stablemate, Elijah Craig, but a bit thinner. Not quite as smooth, but not harsh, either. A long finish that is very pleasant.

It is certainly satisfying and quite a bargain at this price. Even though it is cheap, I wouldn't call it a cheap bourbon.

Tim

• 1 year later...

This bump is solely because the post I'm replying to gave me a good laugh on an afternoon when I needed one. I hope it has the same salutatory effect on others.

Tim, that's an effing masterpiece. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

It makes no nevermind that I still haven't found a post on the topic I was actually looking for.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

• 1 year later...

I am somewhat new to the this wonderful board but not a bourbon novice. Here are my three favorite under $20 bourbons.

OGD BIB (A favorite at any price)

Elija Craig (So unique that I keep buying, trying to figure out the taste)

Wild Turkey 101 (Two fingers and two large cubes)

I must also throw in Buffalo Trace and Old Weller 107

Over $20

Knob Creek

Old Rip Van Winkle 15

WT Rare Breed

My "cheap" everyday pours are:

WT 101 and WT Rye - $20.95

Weller Antique 107 - $19.40

Exceptional whiskies for the $$.

For higher end drinking occasions, or when the mood strikes:

WT Rare Breed

Knob Creek

Baker's

Booker's

I am quite satisfied with that rotation for now.

I have on hand the following for exploration:

OGD 114

Bulleit

JD Single Barrel

VWFRR

YMMV

toast.gif

nope -- it's been gone for a long time now. After Julian joined forces with BT he had no cash-flow reason to bottle such brands.

Greg,

How are you doing! I must agree that Weller 12 year old is one of the those brands that flys below most people's radar screens. Paul Pacult has rated it as a top 20 spirit brand for the last two years, yet most folks don't even know that it exists.

Being a wheated bourbon, it is a bit softer and sweeter. Spending 12 years in the barrel adds a level of complexity that few other bourbons possess.

I will now take my salesman's hat off.

Ken

I must add another to my less than $20 list.

I just tried my first Old Weller 107 @ $14.99.

Oh, very tasty. It could be my new everyday pour.

Oh, ye fortunate men and women of bourbonland... smirk.gif In Sweden, a bottle of Jim Beam Black Label sells for $37, and my new favorite, Buffalo Trace, is at a whopping $44!

tongue.gif

I agree! Weller 12 year is superb.. On another note, I made my first trip to the Maker's Mark Lounge on 4th street last night. I tried the Four Roses single barrel and Old Charter Reserve. The Four Roses was delicious. The Old Charter left something to be desired. (Falls City is $0.99 if you are into that!) The Lounge itself is pretty swanky, however I am still partial to the Flagship at the Galt House. Good bourbon to all....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.