Rittenhouse Rye

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey folks, I was at the Hamburg Liquor Barn in Lexington tonight and I saw the 80 proof Rittenhouse. They had about a case on the shelf. I have yet to find any of the 21 yr old on any shelves in KY, but I did taste it last weekend at the Evan WIlliams 1997 SIngle Barrel tasting event in Louisville. It was absolutely superb! Worth $125 a bottle? I don't think I would pay that much, but it was damn good. I picked up the last bottle of the BIB with black label at a small liquor store in Bardstown during the Bourbon Festival last month and it is already gone. It was just about as good as the 6 yr old Sazerac.

Arrggg...Shaggy...you's be riiight on the money(pardon me, doubloon) matey!

Welcome to the board, always good to have another rye man on board (bad pun). I favor the rye heavy and ryes myself. If you spot a bottle of the Rittenhouse BIB 100 proof set yer hook into it and set sail fer the home port. (Too bad you missed talk like pirate day)

Anyway, I don't normally talk like this, I think it be a problem with my scurvy keyboard.

Welcome again.

The other day, I picked up a bottle of the 80 proof Rittenhouse to compare with the BIB. The nose is strikingly similar, but the two whiskeys are quite different on the palate. Surprisingly, the 80 proof seems a bit more spirity than the BIB; I'd chalk that up to the extra aging the BIB gets. Both are outstanding values, in any case...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this yesterday. It is the first time I have seen Rittenhouse in upstate NY. Is this the regular BIB? It says 100 proof.

post-570-14489812664664_thumb.jpg

That's it, right below the "100 proof" on the label you'll see the Bottled in Bond in silver writing. The other version is an 86 proof. Very good stuff you've got there, YUM

The other version is an 86 proof.

Actually, it's 80 proof, not 86. I quite like it. To me, it tastes different from the 100 proof diluted to 80, although it's been a while since I've had either, so I can't be specific.

Jeff

post-1039-1448981266558_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.