Old Forester Tasting Event

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This isn't being held at the distillery, but I still thought this would be the best place to post it. It is in Louisville. FYI, I'll be there.

I spoke to Chris earlier today and we will have a chance at this event to taste Old Forester from the 40s, 50s and 60s, at least four different "historic" bottlings in addition to the new stuff. "Old Forester Signature" is their new name for the 100 proof expression.

Although it's not mentioned in the press release below, we'll also be tasting the newest release of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, which will be 96 proof and 13 years old.

You're invited to experience Old Forester's Signature Taste

What:

Join Master Distiller Chris Morris on Thursday, August 24 at the Filson Historical Society for an exclusive bourbon event, "Old Forester 100 Proof: Standing the Test of Time."

As America's First Bottled Bourbon, Old Forester represents an important piece of bourbon history. You're invited to taste a part of this rich history as we sample and savor Old Forester 100 proof from various decades starting with Old Forester from the 1940s to the newly packaged Old Forester Signature bourbon.

Light appetizers will follow the tasting.

Where:

Filson Historical Society

1310 South Third Street

Louisville, Ky.

When:

Thursday, August 24

6:30 p.m. -- 8 p.m.

Cost:

$50 per person. All proceeds will go to the Filson Historical Society, a nationally recognized center for the study of the Ohio Valley region's history and culture.

RSVP:

Space is limited. To reserve your spot call 1-800-Bourbon or email courtney_sandora@b-f.com

This isn't being held at the distillery, but I still thought this would be the best place to post it. It is in Louisville. FYI, I'll be there.

I spoke to Chris earlier today and we will have a chance at this event to taste Old Forester from the 40s, 50s and 60s, at least four different "historic" bottlings in addition to the new stuff. "Old Forester Signature" is their new name for the 100 proof expression.

Although it's not mentioned in the press release below, we'll also be tasting the newest release of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, which will be 96 proof and 13 years old.

You're invited to experience Old Forester's Signature Taste

What:

Join Master Distiller Chris Morris on Thursday, August 24 at the Filson Historical Society for an exclusive bourbon event, "Old Forester 100 Proof: Standing the Test of Time."

As America's First Bottled Bourbon, Old Forester represents an important piece of bourbon history. You're invited to taste a part of this rich history as we sample and savor Old Forester 100 proof from various decades starting with Old Forester from the 1940s to the newly packaged Old Forester Signature bourbon.

Light appetizers will follow the tasting.

Where:

Filson Historical Society

1310 South Third Street

Louisville, Ky.

When:

Thursday, August 24

6:30 p.m. -- 8 p.m.

Cost:

$50 per person. All proceeds will go to the Filson Historical Society, a nationally recognized center for the study of the Ohio Valley region's history and culture.

RSVP:

Space is limited. To reserve your spot call 1-800-Bourbon or email courtney_sandora@b-f.com

Chuck,

Sorry I will miss it by 9 days since I will be coming late September 1 to Louisville.

Leif

• 4 weeks later...

This event is pretty much sold out. It will be a good time with a lot of good people and good bourbon. Thanks Chuck, for participating in the event.

Mike Veach

In the spirit of Old Forester Day, does anyone know the years of tenure of Brown-Forman's Louisville/Shively Master Distillers? The only two I know of are Chris Morris and Lincoln Henderson, but those prior to them should definitely not be forgotten.

Roger

Mike will have to provide this info. A quick look thru a couple of chapters of Nothing Better in the Market and I could give you the names of the legal guy, the CPA, the Lab guys, and who had this or that sales territory. I wonder why this wasn't pertinent at the writing of this book. Not saying it isn't in there but a quick perusal didn't turn it up.

The name Manuel Ice pops into my head as being Master Distiller at B-F on both sides of prohibition. The Ices were another one of those families with multiple distillers at different distilleries spanning several generations.

Manuel Ice is the distiller at the end of prohibition. Chris told me the names of the other distillers but I did not write them down. He is going to find photographs of all of the distillers and donate them to the Filson. I will let you know their names when he does. He is off to Asia this week so it will probably be after the Bourbon Festival.

Mike Veach

I thought it was Ice. I have vague memories of a story about him hiding the yeast in a well during Prohibition.

So how the hell was this?!!

Maybe I missed it somewhere else on the boards

Would love to know what people thought of the different "decades" of Old Forester

Did you get to go successively from early times until now? Or did you go the opposite way? Side by side for all of them?

Is this kind of thing very fancy? Or would you not be turned away if you had gymshoes on? I realise it was 50 bucks ahead of time, but have never been to anything like this type of tasting.

Louisville is a town where "casual elegance" is the rule, although most people there probably would laugh at that description. Attire at the event was all over the map. There were people in jackets and ties, but also polo shirts and khakis (the Louisville uniform). The surroundings were very fancy, a Beaux Arts mansion, but the event itself was pretty casual and relaxed. Gym shoes would not have been a problem.

As it turned out, what they selected were four bottles all from the 1950s. They were decanters, actually. During that period, OF always did a decanter for Christmas. We also tasted the OF Signature and the new 2006 Birthday Bourbon. To Brown-Forman's credit, the first public release of the 2006 BB was to a consumer group, not to the trade or press.

The old samples were from 1953, 1956, 1957 and 1959. The 1953 and 1956 had some cork taint. All were BIB. The differences were surprising for such a narrow window. They all had a basic grape jam character, but some had more vanilla, others more licorice.

I hate corks.

While the antiques had definite appeal, I think the two moderns held their own very well. The choice for BB is interesting. It is essentially the same whiskey as 2005, but with an additional year of aging. We didn't have the 2005 to taste, but that will be an interesting comparison.

Chuck,

Is the OF Signature anything more than a re-dressed OF100?

Chuck,

Is the OF Signature anything more than a re-dressed OF100?

No. That's exactly what it is, and no one is pretending otherwise. However, I did learn that the 100 proof and 86 proof are, in fact, based on different profiles. The 86 proof is not just the 100 proof diluted. They are selected and created separately. But that's not new, it's just new information to me.

• 1 month later...

Here is the list of Brown-Forman Master Distillers given to me by Chris Morris:

GG Brown

BF Mattingly

Manual Ice

Carl Franklin

Leo Reidinger

Lincoln Henderson

Chris Morris

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.