Bourbon and Ale-8-1

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just returned from our yearly trip to meet friends and family at Kentucky's beautiful Cumberland Falls State Park. While there, some of the local folks, in noting that I was drinking my bourbon straight, suggested I mix it with Ale-8-1 (pronounced A Late One) It is a ginger based drink that has been produced in Kentucky since 1926. They say that's what they mix their bourbon with when not drinking straight. I didn't get a chance to do this, though I did taste a bit without the bourbon. I thought it might be a bit too sweet for my liking. Asking all of you other Kentucky residents; Have any of you tried this pairing together? Is it worth trying?

BTW, if you ever get a chance to visit Cumberland Falls, do it. It is really a beautiful place, particularly if you like hiking, rafting, swimming etc.

Cheers!

JOE

I can't say that I have ever mixed Ale-8-One with bourbon, but I have had it and can attest that is is a venerable Kentucky institution, made in Winchester and still owned by the same family.

Border-state Kentucky can be unlike the South in many ways, but not when it comes to beverages. In southern Kentucky especially, if someone asks for a "Co-Cola" the proper response is "what kind?" because a "Co-Cola" is any soft drink. And if you ask for iced tea and don't want "sweet tea" you better say so, because "sweet tea" is the default. And, of course, there's bourbon.

I can also second the endorsement of Cumberland Falls and many other natural attractions in that part of Kentucky. I have often said it's a shame more people in the East and Midwest don't know that the kind of scenery they sometimes travel out West to see is abundant in Kentucky.

Just returned from our yearly trip to meet friends and family at Kentucky's beautiful Cumberland Falls State Park. While there, some of the local folks, in noting that I was drinking my bourbon straight, suggested I mix it with Ale-8-1 (pronounced A Late One) It is a ginger based drink that has been produced in Kentucky since 1926. They say that's what they mix their bourbon with when not drinking straight. I didn't get a chance to do this, though I did taste a bit without the bourbon. I thought it might be a bit too sweet for my liking. Asking all of you other Kentucky residents; Have any of you tried this pairing together? Is it worth trying?

BTW, if you ever get a chance to visit Cumberland Falls, do it. It is really a beautiful place, particularly if you like hiking, rafting, swimming etc.

Cheers!

JOE

Hi Joe :grin: :grin:

We don't do the Ale-8-1 in these parts (my folks) but I do know some that mix it with Moutain Dew:slappin: :slappin: I'd never drink that stuff....Ginger is not my cup of tea :skep: :skep:

Cumberland falls---Our Niagra of the South :grin: :grin: :grin: Home of the "Moonglow" :grin: :grin:

Here's a link :grin: :grin:

http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/cumberland.shtml that most will enjoy :grin: :grin:

Bettye Jo

I do prefer Ginger Ale if I intend to mix...I have never heard of this before though. In the Birmingham area, (Rat' will know what I am talking about) their is a "Buffalo Rock" ginger ale. This stuff is a reddish-brown color, and is stout as hell!! I wouldn't doubt if it is 80 proof alone!! Just kidding!!, but it literally burns on the way down! Correct me if I am wrong Rat', but I believe the recipe goes back to the Civil War. I think they used it as some kind of remedy or something. Man, if you mixed this stuff with some high octane booze....Look Out! See ya, H'wood

I do prefer Ginger Ale if I intend to mix...I have never heard of this before though. In the Birmingham area, (Rat' will know what I am talking about) their is a "Buffalo Rock" ginger ale. This stuff is a reddish-brown color, and is stout as hell!! I wouldn't doubt if it is 80 proof alone!! Just kidding!!, but it literally burns on the way down! Correct me if I am wrong Rat', but I believe the recipe goes back to the Civil War. I think they used it as some kind of remedy or something. Man, if you mixed this stuff with some high octane booze....Look Out! See ya, H'wood

Yes, what he said. I have talked about it before, especially in a thread a few years ago on distinctive, regional ginger ales and beers.

Tim

I use to drink around eight Ale-8s a day until I quit drinking caffeine about 5 years ago. I loved that stuff and would guess that it would greatly cut the taste of any whiskey.

Just for reference, even though the bottle says "A Late One" on it, I haven't ever heard anyone call it that. It's typically referred to as Ale8.

Chuck,

Where in Southern Kentucky have you heard people call Coke (and I do mean cola based soft drinks), "Co-Cola"? One side of my family is from the Somerset area, and they are pretty countrified, and I haven't ever heard that term used by anyone in that area.

Chuck,

Where in Southern Kentucky have you heard people call Coke (and I do mean cola based soft drinks), "Co-Cola"? One side of my family is from the Somerset area, and they are pretty countrified, and I haven't ever heard that term used by anyone in that area.

Burkesville/Cumberland County/Dale Hollow Lake area. It's common in Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia, but I experienced it in that part of Kentucky, where I spent a lot of time over a several year period. I can't say I've heard it anywhere else in Kentucky, where the midwest "pop" is the usual term for a carbonated soft drink.

Hi Joe :grin: :grin:

I do know some that mix it with Moutain Dew:slappin: :slappin:

Bettye Jo

Now dont knock it till you try it. It actually is not all that bad.:grin:

When I lived in Tullahoma a couple of locals drank Sundrop and Dickle. Drop-n-Dickle. Both local products.

I always heard a soft drink refered to as Coke. "Lets go get a coke" It could be any kind of soft drink but it was getting a coke.

"What's for Cokes?", as people used to say.

In Montreal when I grew up, the term ginger ale meant any kind of soda.

Gary

TNSquire, You're right! In the south, all carbonated beverages are pretty much a "Coke". You might be going to the store to buy Cokes, but that might be Strawberry soda/pop, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, or whatever. If you ask for a Coke, many times the questions is What kind? I guess "Coke" is pretty synonomous(sp?) for pop, soda, and soft drink.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.