Charter Still & Plastic Bottles

tmas
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was in a store today and there was a 1.75 L bottle of "Charter Still" 80 proof, the label said Bardstown and there was one of those little patent mark symbols with the date 1974 next to it. Also there was a picture of a pot still in the center of the label. I did a search but didn't turn up this bourbon.

I would have bought it, it had a nice color to it, but it was in a plastic bottle

which looked a bit worse for wear, and the thought crossed my mind that if this has been hanging around for 20 or 30 years, is it still safe to drink it? Does anyone happen to know if anything leaches out of the plastic, or if there is a life expectancy for liquor that is bottled in plastic?

Also wondered if anyone knows anything about the bourbon itself. Tom V

I'll beg pardon now, are you sure it said "Charter Still" and not "Cabin Still"? Not meaning to offend and I'm not questioning your report, but everything more or less is consistant with Cabin Still and Charter Still is a new one on me.

Hidden
I'll beg pardon now, are you sure it said "Charter Still" and not "Cabin Still"? Not meaning to offend and I'm not questioning your report, but everything more or less is consistant with Cabin Still and Charter Still is a new one on me.

Right you are Bobby, I guess running around in the 100 degree heat all day yesterday took it's toll on my memory! Yes it was Cabin Still. Tom V

Yes, I did a search on this with the correct name and Not only found lots of info but found that I already own a bottle of this stuff ( which I had forgotten!).

The bottle I have is, however, in glass. I am still curious about those plastic bottles. I will research that and report back with what I find out. Tom V

• 3 weeks later...

Tom, if you think about it, plastic isn't that different than glass as a storage medium.

It's more pliable, of course, but they say plastic doesn't degrade in landfills unless it is bathed in sunlight. And then it still takes years and years.

I wouldn't worry about it-I mean you can say to the people in the store "this is damaged, can I get a discount?" and then maybe the price you get will make it a no brainer to pick it up.

Personally I would, because older Cabin Still would (likely) be original Stitzel-Weller whiskey, and therefore about as drinkable as some rare and celebrated Pappy items. (I think I have that right-sue me!).

As for the condition of the stuff in the bottle, if the level of liquid left in the bottle is anywhere close to where you would expect it to be when they first filled it, then it's probably essentially new.

You can find older bottles, and sometimes they'll have evaporation, or worse, and then will not be as full as they were when new. It can be real noticable in an older bottle.

Cheers :grin:

I remember when there was much excitement in whiskey land because the scientists had finally developed a plastic formulation that was safe to use for bottled spirits. This was fairly late in the game, late 70s or early 80s. Prior to that time they could not bottle spirits in plastic because there was a leaching problem. The new plastic, the one they use now, does not leach.

When plastic finally became available, a few companies came out with what they called "travelers." Because plastic is significantly lighter than glass, a brand that normally was sold in glass bottles might also be available in a plastic "traveler," with the idea that the lighter plastic bottle was ideal to pack in your luggage when you were taking a trip. Some brands also stayed in glass except for their 1.75 L size, again with the idea being to reduce the weight of the full bottle. However, for the most part, plastic bottles are the province of cheap, bottom shelf brands.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.