Cubans

DrinkyBanjo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A very large grain of a salt. There has recently been a very large upsurge in our wonderful Fed Gov. enforcing the embargo with Cuba including cigars. I would not, repeat not, risk bringing cigars back with you. It simply is not worth the hassle.

You guys must be looking forward to Castro's final day??

That does really suk you can't have Cuban products even outside the country...!

It is not true at all. In fact, as an American citizen you are not allowed to have any Cuban product even if you are not in the US...

Umm, no. When I am in, say, the Bahamas, I am subject to Bahamas law, not U.S. law. If I buy a Cuban there and smoke it there, not only would the U.S. government never know about it, they couldn't do anything about it if they knew. It's outside their jurisdiction, as they say.

Now, bringing it back to the U.S. is another matter. Importing non-approved Cuban good IS definitely a no-no. And a good way to make sure you're baggage is inspected every time you travel.

• 2 weeks later...
You guys must be looking forward to Castro's final day??

That does really suk you can't have Cuban products even outside the country...!

actually no. I bet if the embargo got lifted, the gigantic flood of new customers would have disastarous effects on the quality of Cuban cigars.

TomC

• 4 months later...
Umm, no. When I am in, say, the Bahamas, I am subject to Bahamas law, not U.S. law. If I buy a Cuban there and smoke it there, not only would the U.S. government never know about it, they couldn't do anything about it if they knew. It's outside their jurisdiction, as they say.

Now, bringing it back to the U.S. is another matter. Importing non-approved Cuban good IS definitely a no-no. And a good way to make sure you're baggage is inspected every time you travel.

Not to be argumentative, but check the laws on this. The US Guberment does indeed have something to say about our smoking the wonderful Cuban leaf outside of the country and can, indeed make things quite unpleasant for you if they find out. I'm not saying it is enforceable in most cases, but the law does exist.

JW is correct, as a citizen you are "obligated" to follow the Trading With The Enemy Act no matter where you are.

JW is correct, as a citizen you are "obligated" to follow the Trading With The Enemy Act no matter where you are.

I believe that this is due to the embargo in this specific case and not a general rule for international travel. After all, it is permissible to drink alcohol overseas if you are under 21 but at-or-above the legal age in the country in which you are traveling.

I actually read what someone presented as the law on this. The way I saw it was that Americans are forbidden to purchase Cuban goods anywhere in the world, legal or not.

Obviously they cannot enforce it but that's what they say.

http://cigars.about.com/od/cubantradeembargo/index.htm

Cuban cigars are illegal in the United States. Interpretation of the laws affecting restrictions on buying, owning, importing, and smoking Cuban cigars, whether at home or traveling abroad.

I believe that this is due to the embargo in this specific case and not a general rule for international travel. After all, it is permissible to drink alcohol overseas if you are under 21 but at-or-above the legal age in the country in which you are traveling.

Correct, it has to do specifically with the Embargo/TWEA.

• 11 months later...

When I was a Kid I worked after School at a small plant that Packed Chicken for Cambel Soup. The owners would always have bags of Cuban Seconds Cigars and I smoked many a one those Days I had to give up smoking when I was 20 years old got very sick, but when I was 16 I remember those Cuban cigars well the Best Cigar's I ever smoked!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

----------------------------------------------------

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.