In Louisville for the week

M1Paul
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been lurking around this forum for a few years now and have learned much and enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I've been hoping to find time to make a pilgrimage to Kentucky for a visit of all the places I've read about on this forum. I now find myself in Louisville till Friday on a business trip that may leave me plenty of free time. Would anyone like to suggest places (Bourbon related) to see in this area or even some distillery tours that are worthwhile this time of year. I've already been through Makers Mark so unless it's changed a lot in ten years I think I'll look for others that I be able to get to in an hour or two. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

As far as distillery tours, I think hitting Lawrenburg and seeing both Four Roses and Wild Turkey is a great contrast.

Other than that, you can always shop in Louisville, where you will find some bottles not available in many areas, and you can visit some of the local dining establishments where you can order a wider selection (on average) than anywhere else in the world.

If you get bored with these ideas, go for a ride on the Belle of Louisville. Always a fave of mine.

Wish I was in town right now, I'd gladly show you around

For some great bourbon bars, try Bourbon's Bistro, Makers Mark Bar, Jockey Silks and the Seelbach. World class.

Joe :usflag:

Hi Paul,

Joe's advice is perfect regarding the places to drink Bourbon.

As far as distilleries, Woodford Reserve is a great tour. Beautiful place for photos.

If you want to take a few bottles home, check out Evergreen Liquors on Shelbyville Road. Talk to Bill. The Four Roses Small Batch should be in any day. And, he tells me he has a few bottles of Buffalo Trace's double-barrelled experimental stashed.

And, if you make it to Bardstown, you'll want to check out The Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey History.

Hope you enjoy your time in Kentucky,

Bj

I made it to the Makers Mark Lounge and a few other places down on 4th street. It is enjoyable to be in a place where most places I've been to have had a decent selection of good bourbons. Not to mention very good eats. Drove down to Frankfort and visited the Buffalo Trace distillery. Ken Weber was sitting in a office next to the gift shop so I asked about the rumored rerelease of the BTEC and was informed that was not going to happen at this time. I still had a very good time and enjoyed the tour, got to see a few barrels of the PVR 23yr in the rick house, unfortunately the tour guide (Freddy, did a great job) would not let me alone with any of the barrels long enough to get a sample. I then drove down to the Wild Turkey and Four Roses distillerys. I missed the last tour of the day at WT and FR was shut down for maintenance, but I bought a few items in the gift shops and did manage to get a taste and a bottle of the FR small batch. Tomorrow I hope to make it back to Bardstown (I was there about ten years ago) and make it to HH. So far it's been a great trip.

Paul

Hi Paul,

If you want to take a few bottles home, check out Evergreen Liquors on Shelbyville Road. Talk to Bill. The Four Roses Small Batch should be in any day. And, he tells me he has a few bottles of Buffalo Trace's double-barrelled experimental stashed.

Bj

Brenda,

I will hit Louisville very late tomorrow so I will take you op on this tip.

Leif

Leif,

Julie at Four Roses mentioned your upcoming visit, said she is looking forward to meeting you in person. You'll enjoy visiting FR, very friendly people.

Paul

Leif,

You'll enjoy visiting FR, very friendly people.

Paul

Paul,

I got that impression communicating with Julia myself!

Leif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.