BOTM, 9/06: Wild Turkey 101

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I never bothered to check but I had always assumed that this already made it to BOTM. Guess I was wrong though. For the price you really can’t go wrong as I’ve tasted other bourbons that cost a lot more and weren’t nearly as good as this. For a while this was my regular pour and in 3 years I've only found one other mid-shelf bourbon worthy of alternating this one with. Perhaps I’ll open one of my Turkey’s in honor of this great bourbon finally getting BOTM, I’ve been dying to see what 8 year old WT101 tastes like.

turkeysnu4.jpg

I have been heavily into bourbon for just a little while now and we used to buy WT 101 just because it is the only thing drinkable at that proof and price. I didn't realize until recently that it was so well made. I am working my way through the newer, more expensive bourbon and I was very pleasently surprised at how well this stuff stacks up. Comapired to the Jim Beam variations, the WT bourbons have so much more going on that I think I may need to finish several glasses to evaluate it properly.

Life is good...

Not quite that cheap but then again nothing else is either. The 101 can be had for as little as 14.99 here and there. Traders had Knob at $ 17.99 for a long time. Maker's at $15.99 was plentiful also.

I beg to differ, Rite Aid still throws it on sale for $12.99 at least as recently as a month or so ago they did. That is why I can classify this as the best bourbon for under $15 :grin:

And this will give me a good excuse to go pick up those 4 bottles of 8 year 101 that are still sittin on a dusty shelf in boxes. The current 101 is great, but I have to be honest when I say I'd take the 8 year old of 10, 15 or more years ago over it anyday.

I am sadly negligent in not drinking Wild Turkey 101 often enough, an error I intend to correct at my first opportunity.

One thing that occurs to me is that we often bemoan the fact that bourbons even 50 years ago were mostly distilled and entered at slightly over 100 proof. Today there is only one: Wild Turkey.

Before posting, I glanced through the web pages of most shops I purchase bourbon from and I couldn´t find one single bottle of 101 (the 8yo was everywhere, though).

Maybe 101 (Cannot see label properly) ? -> http://www.whisky-doris.de/preislisteUn.php (Look under American whiskey, near bottom of page).

The only time I've got the 101, is when I've got friends to bring it back from the US.

Maybe 101 (Cannot see label properly) ? -> http://www.whisky-doris.de/preislisteUn.php (Look under American whiskey, near bottom of page).

The only time I've got the 101, is when I've got friends to bring it back from the US.

Sion,

The 1/3 litre bottle is 101 al right. I remember when it was sold on the tax-free market in the first half of the 90-is in a 3-pack alongside if I remember right a Buchmills and Abourlore.

Leif

Hi Leif,

It's 101, but it's not the no age statement version is it ? Take a loot there's a little 8 on the bottom right of the label:

http://www.whisky-doris.de/images/WildTurkey8k.jpg

Sion,

That’s right. It is the older version with an 8-year statement. However the taste profile is quit similar. I have not seen the no age version in any German online store.

Leif

Still we're luck enough to have the 12yo readily available, so maybe we should not worry too much about not getting the 101 NAS.

Sion,

I remember when it was sold on the tax-free market in the first half of the 90-is

Leif

You´ve been around for quite a while, Leif! And there I was, at the end of the 90´s, feeling all alone, totally unaware that there was a revolution brooding in Dalarna (a Swedish province). :grin:

As promised, I poured myself some Wild Turkey 101 last night. I agree with the notion that this is a "benchmark" bourbon. In fact, it has a lot more flavor than most, no doubt due to its low distillation/entry proof. That also gives it a lot more grain character than most, yet I was struck by the barrel notes and especially the char. As Jimmy always says, they do everything the old fashioned way, and you can really taste that heavy #4 char.

I have been in the habit of pointing newbies in the direction of Maker's Mark, but maybe Wild Turkey 101 is a better choice. Certainly it is more indicitive of what they will find as they sample other products.

It's interesting that this is the fourth or fifth time that Jeff and I have chosen the same BOTM. Just goes to show that great minds think alike. :lol:

WT 101 has long been my favorite "out in the woods" bourbon. I never venture into the great outdoors on a camping trip without packing a bottle of it. IMO, a large part of what makes the 101 so attractive is the consistency of the product. It was superb bang for the buck 15 years ago, and remains so today. I don't drink it all that often, but it seems that the few times a year that I do the flavor profile is exactly as I remember it four months, four years, or a decade ago.

Bravo Jimmy!

Well I had my glass today and I must say I love this stuff. To me it's everything a Bourbon should be. I kept it going with a glass of 101 Rye afterwards. Enjoyable but not in the same league if you ask me.

Actually, I'd say that the 101 Rye is to rye as the 101 bourbon is to bourbon - a great whiskey that doesn't need to apologize for anything. The one and only reason that I go through more Rittenhouse than WT rye is the price. Wild Turkey's rye, however, has an intensity to it that even Rittenhouse BIB can't match - the spice knob has been turned to 11.

I hadn't had the 101 in awhile. Brought home a 200ml from my liquor-store shift tonight. Surprised by the Red Hots/cinnamon nose. Surprised by the fresh-harvest corncrib taste. On the one hand, it doesn't :bigeyes: me. On the other hand, I could drink it every night.

I opened up a decanter from the 70's of WT 101 8 year old tonight. It's WT 101, so it does qualify as BOTM. What can I say, WT is damn consistent product. A slight bit darker in color than the current product. Adding a drop of water opened up some fruity, orange taste that I really like.

As mentioned by other posters, this is a great standby. I often order this while I'm out because most places have it and I know I'm going to enjoy it!

Thanks Jimmy for keeping WT 101 just what it is.

Well, I hate to interrupt the love fest with a bit of sacriledge, but here goes...

I was happy to see this as a BOTM, as I have never tried it before today, and it's priced right so I could afford to pick up a bottle. Unfortunately, the Maker's Mark was also on sale, and that bottle of Elijah Craig 18 YO looked very interesting... So much for the cheap price :-)

So today was my very first ever pour of the WT101.

I do not care for it. The "char" as someone else described it, is very prominent. Too prominent for my tastes. That element reminds me of the taste I get in my mouth when I am cooking over my charcoal barbeque for a long time...

It's not a bad bourbon, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near Eagle Rare 10YO, Elmer T. Lee or Maker's Mark. For that matter, I'd rather pour Elijah Craig 12YO or Knob Creek.

This is my first Wild Turkey product. I was going to buy a bottle of Kentucky Spirit at some point, but now I'm not so sure. I'm thinking for my palate I would probably be better served by the bottle of blanton's one shelf over...

Joel

If you do go for another bottle of WT I would recommend the Rare Breed over the Kentucky Spirit. That's just me though.

The first time that I had 101, I did not care for it. I think it was the char which you are describing. I had gone througha bottle of KS and RB before I had another 101 pour. After I had tasted some of the better stuff, and became more familiar with the profile, I really began to enjoy the 101. I am to the point now where I have a pour of this three times a week.

This is my first Wild Turkey product. I was going to buy a bottle of Kentucky Spirit at some point, but now I'm not so sure. Joel

Don´t give up the idea, Joel. As I´ve mentioned earlier, I don´t think I´ever tried the classic 101 but the 8yo we in Europe have as a substitute is also very heavy on char.

The KS, you will find, is different in style.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've poured this three times now. The first time I recorded above. The second pour I enjoyed, although I would still rank it at the bottom of my premium bourbon list. The third pour last night, well, I was back to my first impressions. I poured a glass of Elijah Craig 18 YO afterwards, and that was much, much more to my liking. I guess WT101 and my palate simply don't agree.

Joel

I was able to purchase a bottle of Wild Turkey 8 YO in Duty Free on my way to Ireland. It was $20 for a litre. I'll sample this weekend next to my bottle of US 101 to see if it is different. I read somewhere else here that the current 101 is 4, 6, and 8 YO whiskey so I'd imagine this will be different.

I think WT101 was one of the first american whiskeys I ever tried, although I didn't necessarily know, notice (or care) that it was Bourbon whiskey at the time -- it was just Wild Turkey to me ;-) I usually always drank it alongside a micro-brew. When I drink it now, I can taste a lot more flavors in it now than I used to, especially the sweetness. WT101 is a reliable pour when I'm out, since everyone has it - including the dive-bars.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!