Bourbon Bread

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One of the taste treats I experienced on my recent trip to Kentucky was bourbon bread. Actually, at the time I was on sensory overload so it didn't taste that special to me. Luckily, they also gave us a box of the packaged mix, which I made up last night.

Bourbon Bread is the creation of Jim Gerhardt, Executive Chef of the Oakroom Restaurant at Louisville's historic Seelbach Hotel. It combines regular wheat flour with "distillers flour," which is dried spent mash. The bread has a distinctive smell and flavor that evokes the distillery. Imagine a whiskey with a lot of grain flavors. Strip away the alcohol and the effects of aging and you have this bread. Although the package doesn't say so, the "distillers flour" is from Heaven Hill.

The package says you can buy it mail order at 800-444-0552 or at www.bourbonbread.com, but there is nothing at the web site as of now. We must have gotten an advance package. I would like to get some more of it. The bread is quite good, very hearty and flavorful.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Chuck this sounds like just the thing to have with Vickie's Bourbonic Burgoo!

We must get some of this baked up for our tailgate party!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Chuck,

Buffalo Trace has supplied the Seelbach with "wheated" spent mash for use in making flap jacks. Our gift shop sells the mix for both bread and pancakes. While the resulting product has absolutely no bourbon taste, the spent mash makes a wonderful, high protein, somewhat nutty tasting bread/pancake.

Ken

That's right. I forgot to mention that the box for the bread mix mentions they have pancake and biscuit mixes too.

It is more than a gimmick. The taste is quite distinctive. Why should the pigs and cows get all of it?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.