Twelve more days

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I spent a good portion of yesterday afternoon getting my airline and rental car reservations in order. Next time, I'm just talking to the travel agent; cruising all those web sites wasnt as much fun as I thought it would be, and boy have I got a scary Expedia story to tell over some bourbon.

How many of you folks intend on arriving in or already being in Bardstown on Wednesday?

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jim,

I will be at the museum all week. Look me up and I'll buy you a drink. I always keep a couple of bottles at the museum for sharing with my friends. This year I will have Woodford Reserve, Early Times Bourbon (a reallyu respectable product unlike the American Whiskey they sell in the U.S.) and Rx bourbon on hand.

Mike Veach

We plan to arrive Friday - hopefully morning -- but definitely in time for the Bourbon Heritage Panel, a real highlight. Looking forward to it!

Greg

Bill,

Perhaps we could get together for dinner and/or drinks Wed. evening, and talk about just that. My plane touches down at SDF around 1730, I should be in Bardstown by 1930 at the latest. Whattdya say?

Anyone else interested?

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Good deal, I'll be at the General Nelson as well. I'll find you when I arrive, bet I'll be hungry and thirsty after all that travelling.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

As is usual these days I'm chasing my own tail rather than chasing tail. Unlike the rest of you good people I'm going to be working while in Kentucky. I'm trying to get meetings/interviews set up on a time schedule that I just might be able to keep. While I've only Friday & Saturday nights reserved at the General Nelson it seems prudent to call and see if Wednesday and Thursday nights are available, and just make Bardstown my center of strategic operations.The Best Western General Nelson Inn = SrtaightBourbon.Com HQ and Recon Center for Strategic Bourbonic Ops.

HUZZAH!!!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

OK Jim and Bill there was room at the inn for Wed. & Thur.so Vickie and I should be there by 1800 hrs. Wed. eve. Get ready to have some really BIG FUN!

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

That's right Bill! I'm going to bring every pair of pants that I can still fit into, and I may have to go out and buy another pair or two. I strongly urge everyone to wear no less than five pairs of pants whenever its 'Tasting Time' at StraightBourbon HQ.

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Bill,

Rx is OK but I think it would be better at a higher proof. Even so it is a respectable drink at 80 proof. I will have other products as well, so please come by. The only thing is I only pour into Oscar Getz museum glasses, so be prepared to buy one from the museum's gift shop.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hi Jim, Bill, Linn, Vicki, Mike, Scully (Brenda), Greg, Jo-Jo, Chuck, Omar, Bettye-Jo, Ken, and everyone!

First of all, please accept apologies for not showing up sooner. It's been a helluva busy summer - some it "good busy"; lots of fun and no time for hangin' out at Jim's corner cyber-tavern - some "not-so-good busy"; lot's of time to hang out, but no computer (or at least no accessible files on the hard drive). Anyway, sorry to have missed so much. I did lurk from time to time but didn't join in (once these fingers start working, they don't care what time the rest of me has to get up in the morning).

Anyway, all is well now, and we're really excited about the Festival and the chance to see everyone again (and more). We'll be staying at the General Nelson and we arrive on Wednesday, probably around noon. Dagwood's Restaurant is a must for at least one dinner (and at least one lunch, too; you'll see) and Wednesday evening would be just fine with us. Booker Noe lives only a couple blocks from there and likes to sit out on his front porch; a nice stroll on a September evening could end up with a chance to meet him. Maybe we could manage to get ourselves invited to his annual cookout; Linda was really hoping that would happen last year.

It seems as if Linn and I are the only ones who remember all the early talk about a tailgate funraiser. I sure hope we get some of us together for that. Finding a place shouldn't be all that difficult. We're bringing one of those Kingsford barbeque-in-a-box kits that can set up just about anywhere. We're also bringing steaks which are even now soaking in John's World Famous (well, interstate famous anyway) Bourbon/Grenadine marinade, a recipe handed down from generation. It should go well with Vicki Spencer's Atomic Bourbonic Burgoo. And also a couple of nice non-meat surprises for Jo-Jo and anyone else who likes really good green stuff. Mike's bringing his renouned (and maybe even reverbed?) Bourbon Baked Beans. Now is anyone else contributing something to this? I know most of you are coming from far away on public transporation, but Bardstown ain't exactly the South Pole -- they have Kroger's and WinnDixie and such, probably Wal-Mart, too. Bring your recipes and your imagination. And if you need to borrow bowls, tools, or whatever to make something in, let us know (real quick, like TOMORROW!!) and we'll try to toss one into the car for you.

Keep in mind that Bardstown is really pushing the Kentucky liquor laws to the limit with this festival. The roped off area at the festival grounds that Kitz mentioned is really a great example of dealing responsibly with what most other communities simple outlaw without a second thought. Public drinking in other parts of town, however, would be discouraged just as much as it is anywhere else. The roped off area has a lot going for it.. it's large, it has tables, it's in a prime location on a hill overlooking the music stage and close to the food vendors (oh, the smell of pork ribs and beef steaks... mmmmmmm), a much wider selection of fine bourbon than you're probably used to seeing in any bar, let alone a civic event, and damned cheap, too. I don't recall if they had Hirsh 16, but they had Pappy 20, and they had Buffalo Trace before you could find it anywhere.

Anyway, soon as you get to Bardstown, call the Best Western General Nelson. Since several of us are staying there, and it's just across the street from the festival grounds, it's a natural for "Straighbourbon Central". The motel phone is (502)348-3977.

=John=

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey>http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey</A>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.