BT Hard-hat Tour

Pappy's Friend
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone done the hard-hat tour at Buffalo Trace? When I went there this past August, they said they do hard-hat tours from October through March I believe. I'd like to go back if it's worth it.

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Has anyone done the hard-hat tour at Buffalo Trace? When I went there this past August' date=' they said they do hard-hat tours from October through March I believe. I'd like to go back if it's worth it.[/quote']

Good question, I'd like to know that to.

I am going to be in KY in mid October.

A hard-hat tour takes you behind the scenes at BT. The current tour only takes you into a barrel warehouse, the old scale house (for a video), and the bottling room. A hard-hat tour takes you into areas you wouldn't normally get to go. You have to call 3-4 days in advance and ask for it, though.

Well, after seeing the photos from the KBF and getting an invite from Ken Weber to come tour the facility, this is just another reason to come down and feed my building curiosity...

Heck I go to distilleries just for the way it smells. As nice as the tours are, and they're getting better all the time, I would be happy just pulling up in the parking lot and hanging out in the wonderful aroma they put out.

A hard-hat tour takes you behind the scenes at BT. The current tour only takes you into a barrel warehouse' date=' the old scale house (for a video), and the bottling room. A hard-hat tour takes you into areas you wouldn't normally get to go. You have to call 3-4 days in advance and ask for it, though.[/quote']

Thank you for this. I remember doing a tour with a StraightBourbon group a few years ago, but all I could remember was the video in the scale house. I couldn't remember what else we saw. Now I do. The "bottling room" I remember is the one where they do the single barrels. I don't think that tour included the main bottling house. We also were in the club house for a tasting.

I went through the whole place maybe 15 years ago but I haven't had what they now call the "hardhat tour" now. It is a huge place. I have very vivid memories of their shop, where they could do all kinds of metal fabrication.

I have very vivid memories of their shop, where they could do all kinds of metal fabrication.

That reminds me of something Sam Cecil wrote about their guys from the Schenley days or Ancient Age that made a miniature copper still for one of the G-men that was retiring and he got bent out of shape because the thing, while small was an actual working still!

My wife & I did an extra extended hard hat tour last spring with Julian Van Winkle as our personal guide, I just have to say it was a blast and worth the time. I think we spent around three hours on the grounds. It was an excellent experience and what a class act Julian is. It has to go down as one of our best vacations for sure.

With or without Julian, take the hard hat tour!

Cheers, Phil

Brooklyn, MI

I'm holding out for the "can I just live here?" tour.

A little hammock the swings merrily over the fermenters? Yeast tub baths?

I'm holding out for the "can I just live here?" tour.

Hell, I'm just holding out for the "can I just work here?" tour. :grin:

I toured Woodford Reserve during Derby weekend this year. When we went into one of the barrel warehouses, there was the biggest, friendliest cat curled up (must have been the constant angel's share) in the corner. I wondered why the phrase "It's a dog's life." exists - that cat had the life I want!

• 2 months later...

I took the hard hat tour at BT yesterday (Dec 20). My guide was Carey. The tour group size was one (me). We spent two and a half hours covering everything. Absolutely fascinating tour. The winter hours are the only time they give the hard hat tour because that's the only time of year they actually distill. They were going full blast yesterday. I got to taste the mash at different stages in the fermentation process. Got to sample the "white dog" after going through one pass through the still and then again after passing through the doubler. And of course there was the tasting of the final product in the tasting room. I recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in bourbon or distilling in general.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.