Master Distiller's Auction 2001

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I have just returned from Bardstown and have a list of the bottles that have arrived as of noon today. It is going to be a great selection this year so everybody, please bring your checkbook or a lot of cash, because the museum does not have a credit card machine.

First off there are the bottles from our sponsorer Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery all autographed by Julian Van Winkle. Thanks Julian for your support with the bottles and the sponsorship.

1) 23 YO 95.6 proof Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve with black velvet bag. This bottle is becoming more rare by the day since this particular whiskey is not being bottled anymore.

2) 20 YO 90.4 proof Pappy Van Winkle Special Reserve.

3)17 YO 101 proof Van Winkle Family Reserve sealed in red wax for the Japanese market. Not available at all in the U.S.

4)16 YO 101 proof Van Winkle Family Reserve sealed in red wax for the Japanese market. Again not available in the U.S.

5)13 YO 95.6 Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye. Just for you rye lovers.

6)20 YO 112.2 proof Society of Bourbon Connoiseurs Cask Strength. Bottled for the Japanese market and an excellent bourbon, one of John Lipman's favorites, If I am not mistaken.

7)20 YO 108.4 proof Society of Bourbon Connoiseurs Cask Strength. Bottled for the Japanese market and what I consider the 2nd best bourbon I ever drank (the first was a 15 YO Old Fitzgerald made while the Van Winkles still owned the distillery and bottled in bond).

Next we have some bottles from United Distillers.

4 bottles of George Dickel No. 12 90 proof and autographed by Jennings D. Bachus. Dave Bachus is a great person who makes an excellent product. These may become collector items if U.D. does close the distillery permanently.

Heaven Hill is our next contributer with bottles autographed by Parker Beam and Max Shapira. Betty Jo tell Parker and Max we do really appreciate there continued support of the museum and the auction.

1) 2 bottles Evan Williams Single Barrel 1991 Vintage, 86.6 proof.

2) 10 YO 100 proof Old Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond.

3) 18 YO 90 proof Elijah Craig Single Barrel.

Heaven Hill has always donated some very fine bottles to the auction and they often bring some of the highest prices of the night so be prepared.

Next is the Brown Forman contributions. These bottles are autographed by Lincoln Henderson and he placed a special thanks for supporting the museum message on the bottles with his signature.

1) 2 bottles of Old Forester 100 proof.

2) 2 bottles Woodford Resrve Distillers Select 90.4 proof.

Buffalo Trace has come through with some ecellent bottles this year. Ken please pass on our thanks to Elmer T. Lee and Gary Gayheart for this year's donation to the museum.

1) 2 bottles of Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel 90 proof autographed by Elmer T. Lee and Gary Gayheart.

2) 2 bottles of Buffalo Trace 90 proof Autographed by Gary Gayheart.

3) 10 YO 100 proof W.L. Weller Centennial autographed by Gary Gayheart.

The last of the bottles so far is from Jim Beam. We had two different donors this year in that Jerry Dalton donated and sined some bottles while Freddy Noe brought some others signed by Booker Noe. We have 8 bottles from them this year and I think our top money will come from one of these bottles this year.

First we have the bottles donated by Jerry and autographed by him.

1) 2 bottles of Old Grand-Dad 86 proof.

2) 2 bottles of Jim Beam White Label 7 YO 80 proof.

3) 2 bottles of Old Taylor 80 proof.

The bottles signed by Booker Noe are:

4) 3 bottles of Booker's 126.3 proof in there wooden box.

5) (This is special) 98 proof, 20 YO Distiller's Masterpiece finished in Port Wine Cask. That's right, Port wine, not cognac. This bottle is not on the market yet and If I am not mistaken it will make it's first appearence at the Gala during the Bourbon Festival. This bottle, based on the cognac finished version will sell for about $200.00 retail so I expect at least that at the auction. It is autographed by Booker Noe with a very nice bottle with an etched oak leaf and a nice wooden box to keep it in.

These bottles will be sold either individually or in one of our baskets. These basket have several bottles along with other items such as books and jigger.

Mike Veach

MIke,

Sounds like a really excellent lineup.

Since I've never been to one of these auctions, can you answer a few questions for me?

How many people are typically in attendance, and what kind of money to you typically see being shelled out for bourbons like those you've listed?

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jim,

There is usually a standing room only crowd in the old chapel room of Spalding Hall so I estimate about 150 people at any one time. Many people wander in and out.

As far as prices they can vary. Some bottles have sold for as little as $20.00 but most of the better bourbon will sell in the $50.00 to $100.00 range but some sell much higher. We sold a 500ml bottle of Maker's Mark with blue wax and a U of K label to a rabid U of K fan (But then again they usually are rabid if they are U of K fans who want U of K items) for over $300.00. The basket will sell in the $200.00 to $600.00 range. Of course our goal is to get even higher prices and raise more money for the museum, so bring your check book and help out to your ability.

Mike Veach

Mike, this is my first festival. I got a couple of questions.

Where's Spalding Hall?

What time does the auction start Saturday? Can you preview the items before auction begins?

Omar

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Spalding Hall is next to the Cathedral on 5th Street. You can not miss it. Just look for all of the tents that serve as booths for the vendors and listen for the music from the stage.

We will try to set the bottles out about an hour before the auction. The time of the auction is in the brochure and I believe that it is set for 2:00 but that could have changed. To be honest with you I have not looked at the brochure lately.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

We are going to try something different this year with our baskets. In the past we have had 3 baskets of modern whiskey and 2 basket of antique whiskey. This year we are going to have 6 baskets and we are going to mix the bottles. For example we are doing a basket just for our sponsor, Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery. It wil have Van Winkle Famly Reserve 16 YO, 101 proof bourbon dealed in Red wax for the Japanese market, Society of Bourbon Connoisseurs 20 YO 112 proof, a 1/2 pint of Bankers and Brokers bottled 1942, a pint of Old Fitzgerald bottled 1943, a copy of Sally Van Winkle Campbell's book "Always Fine Bourbon" (hopefully autographed before the auction) and an Oscar Getz jigger.

We hope by mixing the bottles we will creat a greater interest as people can then purchase bottles both old and new to create their own comparision tasting. We also hope this will increase the price for the baskets as well.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I just thought that I would report on the results of the auction. If anybody had asked me for a forcast of the sales on Wed. I would have said way down. Instead, the results were another record year. The Japanese visitors came in on Sat. and the prices per bottle was up.

I especially want to thank Linda Lipman that helped out with some last minute paperwork. She went above and beyond the call of duty and I will go on the record here by saying, "Linda, I owe you one." Everyone had a good time at the auction and I want to thank everyone who helped and everyone who came and bid on items. Even if you did not buy the item, you helped raise the price and raised money for the museum.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Mike,

Thanks! It was fun to help out with the auction! Next year I'll know better and hide 2 hours before the event!! (Only kidding!)

It was also a wonderful Festival weekend. We met many new friends. Todd and Peggy welcome to the forum! I would like to see Chris and Kathy check into the forum to see how they are doing. Chris was a great contributer at the auction.

~Linda~

<A HREF="http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey">http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey</a>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.