Get Together

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

All,

I like the idea of as many of us as possible getting together in one place for some partying. Perhaps Friday or Saturday night would fit the bill.

All we have to do is decide on a place and time, then do it. Preferably somewhere that we could a: bring our own booze and b: make noise.

Opinions?

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Jim, that's a great idea.

I know there's a big party Friday night at Sharky's -- across street from Hampton Inn and many employees from Wild Turkey distillery will be celebrating. I don't know of any place where we can bring our own bourbon.

Omar

Omar,

That sounds like a viable option, the bar scene works for me. The BYOB issue stems from 2 things: most of us will be rife with bottles while there, and my head is still reeling from the $100 I popped off in a bar in SF at the Whiskey Expo back in March.

Can you believe I paid $16 for a shot of Hirsch 16yo? Tell ya what, next time I'll look at the price list before ordering ;-)

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jim,

There is supposed to be a StraightBourbon 'Fun Raiser' after the Heritage Panel on Friday evening/nite. We are supposed to cook out and have a good time for much less money than eating out or going to a bar. There are BBQ pits at Bernheim Forest and also at the Stephen Foster Park. There may also be other alternatives. There are some reasonable grassy areas around the General Nelson and a pool for skinny dipping. All we need are a couple of grills, steaks; and ribs, and a lot of bourbon.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Jim, that's the going rate for a shot of Hirsch. I believe someone is bringing a bottle of Hirsch 16 to our Buffalo Trace tasting. Ken has promised Elmer's 107 and if we refrain from throwing spitballs at each other in the van, we may get to sample Weller's new 12. Linn is working on some peach bourbon, I believe.

Omar

I like the idea of some kind of cookout after the Heritage Panel on Friday (I don't recall what might be a competing activity that evening), then retiring to a bar or someone's hotel room after dark. Bardstown bar prices do not approach San Francisco's. Also, I suspect there will be enough of us with cars to accomplish transportation if we want to go to Bernheim, for example.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

As I recall there is a city park behind Spaulding Hall with a playgrroud and baseball field. I think I remember seeing some picnic tables, but I disremember if there were any grills about. It's right across the street from the Gen'l Nelson and we could hear the bands play from there. The Cop Shop is also within easy walking distance. Be sure to bring bail money as I may need it.laugh.gif

Linn Spencer

Jim and All, Here's an option

the Festival has what I think is a very good place to get together as long as you don't mind paying by the drink. They have a "Spirits" garden with picnic tables and chairs, beer and about ten different bourbons at reasonable prices by the glass. They arrange it in front of Spalding Hall so that you are on a little hill overlooking the music stage. Friday night, among other groups, the Kentucky Headhunters will be playing.

Normally I'm a big fan of BYOB and save money and that certainly is tempting. On the other hand, with all organized so well by the festival it seems like we might take advantage of it -- and I found the Spirit Garden an even more fun venue than local bars -- (though those of you who are new to Bardstown REALLY should have a glass of bourbon in the Old Talbott Tavern Bar -- my normal lunch stop.)

Maybe we can do both! But I plan to spend time within ear shot of the entertainment stage when possible -- I truly enjoy music and Linn, Jo and I had a good time sippin' (as I recall Vickie was tired) last year.

Greg

Linn, I posted before I read your reminder. I think an early BBQ is a good idea (though Jo is vegetarian) and I think doing it on local picnic tables either at the motel or near the festival is really handy.

Greg

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Well we've just got to see and hear the Kentucky Headhunters! No question. Do you know when they take the stage?

While I've been known to wear women out one after another, I must say that Vickie has proven quite durable over the years.

Must be the bourbon.

Linn Spencer

I believe the Festival spokesperson told me the Ky Headhunters perform late -- I'm thinking 10 or 10:30 -- but that may be on the official web site. I'd go check but I'm in a hurry this morning and we have time

Greg

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

COOL! I hope they're hip enough to do a cover of 'Man of Constant Sorrow'.

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jim,

Just a quick note to let you know that your presence is sorely missed. We hoisted a toast in your name last night at the Straightbourbon.com cookout, held in and around the gazebo at the Best Western General Nelson, and wished you could have been here. Wearing the totally excellent shirts JoBettye created we have tried to be good representatives of the site (we kept Linn away from the mayor's daughter, for example) and maybe even enticed some more people to check it out.

=John=

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey>http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey</A>

Well thanks John, et al.

Although it hadnt occured to me that Linn might be arrested for corporate affiliated pederasty, I'm glad that you kept all the bases covered. One can never be too certain of Linn's actions.

In a way it's a shame that I couldnt be there, but my issues seem inconsequential at this juncture. I really havent been in the mood for a party of late, but I'm sure I'll get over it soon enough. Glad to hear y'all are having fun. Be sure to convey my greetings to everyone.

BTW, don't EVER put bourbon in a Coca-Cola flavored Slurpee. In other words; don't EVER take advice from your ten year old son re: mixed drinks.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hi Jim,

We've arrived back home safe 'n' sound. I hope everyone else checks in, too.

"...I really havent been in the mood for a party of late"

You were not alone. JoBettye and Connie came by to visit with us a couple times, but only to deliver T-Shirts. They took the hijacking tragedy very soberly as well. I hope no one interprets our choice to continue the celebration as a sign that we were less concerned. The spectre of the attack was present everywhere. I think that for some of us the sorrow and anger is best dealt with by sitting back and for others it's best to mingle and push on. In the end, it's whatever keeps you from going out and doing stupidly destructive things that counts.

"...One can never be too certain of Linn's actions."

To be perfectly fair to Linn, it turned out to be Chuck we needed to keep our eye on. wink.gif

And as for bourbon and Coca-Cola slurpees, ask Mike what he thought of the Stump-The-Veach cocktail that was concocted for his tasting pleasure!!

Cheers!

=John=

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey>http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey</A>

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Well 5 days; 4 nights, 1,112 miles, and $1,000 poorer - we're back home safely. We had a great time with everyone. There is a whole lot to write about and discuss, so the forum should be quite lively. You can look forward to some very funny storys and a lot of great photos as there were three digital cameras among us.

Linn Spencer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.