It’s That Time of Year Again…

gothbat
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Pumpkin ale is now back in season! :) Although not as strong as the brewed beverages I normally drink this is something that I wait for all year. The taste is great, definitely not what I was expecting; the first flavored beer I had was a chocolate stout and it was horrible, the only drink I’ve ever had that seemed to make my mouth dry as I drank it. I’ve found and tried a few brands (Blue Moon, Smuttynose, The Shipyard, Dogfish, Saranac, Buffalo Bills, Weyerbacher, Bethlehem Brew Works, and at least 2 others that I can’t recall) the best were probably the stuff made by Buffalo Bills or The Shipyard.

Is anyone else out there a fan of this stuff? Have any favorite brands or brands to recommend? Part of me wishes they would make this stuff all year round but that’s probably part of what makes this stuff so good.

Southhampton Pumpkin Ale and the WeyerBacher Imperial Pumpkin are my two favorites. I enjoy the DFH Punkin' Ale but the rest kinda lack the Pumpkin Pie flavor I love in a good Pumpkin ale.

On another note the fall season also means that the Imperials and Barley's will be coming out. World Wide Stout from DFH and Brooklyns Black Choclate being two of my fav's. I just stocked up on Southhampton's Grand Cru as well. It's one of the best Belgian Strong Pale's out there.

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin ale is pretty good imo. It's not my favorite but I'd probably buy it over most of the other ones I've listed. In terms of presentation, they probably have the nicest label out of all the bottles I've seen. (Often I buy beer solely because I like the label since I like to save different bottles.) I didn’t remember it when I was originally posting this but I’ve had one brand that I didn’t really like, Jack’s Pumpkin Spice Ale, made by Anheuser-Busch. I don’t know if they sell it in bottles, it was on tap at the hotel bar when I was in Hartford last year and the bartender almost seemed like he was trying to talk me out of buying it when I asked him about it. It wasn’t horrible but there was definitely too much spice in it if I remember correctly and they ended up buying it back from me with a shot of Wild Turkey.

I found a picture of the Southampton bottle and will be on the lookout for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello first of all I'm new to this BB. I have been wanting to try some Pumpkin Ale but my problem is where can I get these beers. I live out almost in the middle of nowhere. And most people around me drink PRB, Natural Lite Ice and all the water down stuff. But luckily I work in a trendy area so tomorrow during my lunch break I will have to walk down to the beer store.

Sorry to report I am not a fan of pumpkin ale. When I've tried it in the past -- granted I've only tried two brands -- I've found that it has a soapy taste. Does that sound crazy?? Anybody else have this experience?

What I look forward to this time of year are the Octoberfest brews, and the soon to arrive Christmas ales...

Sorry to report I am not a fan of pumpkin ale. When I've tried it in the past -- granted I've only tried two brands -- I've found that it has a soapy taste. Does that sound crazy?? Anybody else have this experience?

What I look forward to this time of year are the Octoberfest brews, and the soon to arrive Christmas ales...

I would try more of them before writing them off. If you tried JB white and JD black and didnt like them, would it be fair to say that you just dont like whisky.

I'm lucky enough to have some beer distibutors around here that let you buy just one beer from a six pack. So I was able to try all the different kinds. Over here by me the Oktoberfest's are almost done, but I did have a good time with them. The Chritmas ales are already here too. The new SN celebration ale is real nice and Affelegim's X-mas ale this year is the best I ever had.

IMHO, I suggest giving the Pumpkin's more of a chance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.