Empty Bottles Support Group

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saying goodbye to a Pikesville Rye. First, and probably only bottle. It won't be missed. Too many other great ryes out there.

JOE

Well, I was browsin through some bottles and realized that my Basil Hayden was looking extremely low. I poured it into a glass, and realized it wasn't worth even sitting down to drink. (enter Gillman mode) So I pulled out the Booker's and topped the glass off some. I must say, it is quite tasty. Almost tasty enough for me to pick up another bottle of BH just for Vatting with the Booker's. Hmmm... Maybe Gary is onto something with all this crazy vatting stuff.:grin: :grin:

Thanks Flash but I didn't invent this stuff. :)

Four Roses does essentially what you did, so did Julian to make his fine current ORVW 13 year old rye (it is a mingling of two rye whiskeys I understand) and it goes on.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

My Black Maple Hill 18yo rye bit the dust tonight, following a coupla 2006 visits to Bardstown. While I enjoyed it well enough, its $80+ price tag will likely keep me from ever replacing it -- there are just too many other ryes I like as much or more for under half that cost (sometimes WAY under half $80) to justify it.

Anyone know if there is a difference between the old Weller 12 and the new besides the label. I have a couple of spare old ones that I'll bunker if that's the case.

Good bye to a Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10 yr. I may never understand how a bourbon this good can be so cheap...

JOE

Anyone know if there is a difference between the old Weller 12 and the new besides the label. I have a couple of spare old ones that I'll bunker if that's the case.

Although there's an ongoing evolution in Weller, as BT moves through the wheated bourbon made at Bernheim into the wheated bourbon made at BT, but I don't believe any specific product changed occurred simultaneous with the package change.

I put to old freinds to rest today.

WT 12 year old that I bought last June in the duty free and a WT Russell's Reserve 101 that I have had open for about two years. Both tasted great. I will replace the 12 year old soon. May never have the chance to replace the WTRR 101.

Ed

A bottle of Rittenhouse BIB has joined the empty bottle ranks tonight. More is on hand, but I'm preparing to go into BTAC mode for a while...

W.L. Weller 12 went to the recycle bin tonight. I still have another, and I am glad of that. I think this is a great Bourbon for $20.

Had a party Saturday night. Finished off my last bottle Sam Houston with the 10yr neck label, a gold wax Hirsch and a The Macallan 15 year old fine oak. Many, many wine bottles are history, but none that are irreplaceable. Saw a couple drunks going for the Van Blankle so I had to drag out the baseball bat. We had a few civilized pours so there is still a fair amount left.

So Long, you Gold Wax Hirsch, I knew thee well.

Before he left to join his family back in St Louis for the weekend, my roommate finished off the bottle of Old Granddad 114 he bought when we first hit Colorado back in August. To show him that I felt his pain I finished off the ETL bought that same night. As I sighed and looked at the empty bottle, I saw the picture of Elmer through the front and he seemed to be saying, "Don't worry, you'll be seeing more of me soon...."

An old friend was passing through the area and stopped by last night. We finished off a bottle of Hirsch 16. Sad to see it go but it was for a good cause.

My green-label WT Rye gave up its last pour tonight... I knew that it would develop an evaporation problem...

Finished off the last of the 2005 WLW. Sad to see it go ---- it was my favorite of last year's BTAC.

Oh well, on to the 2006!

Tonight we say goodbye to the last 12 yr old split label WT in the collection. I have to admit I can't taste the difference between the split label and the joined label, but it still feels bad to let this one go.

I had a few bottles that only had a pour or so left in them so I finished them all this weekend. Goodbye to WTRB, RHF, and ER10. I’m sure I’ll end up buying all 3 again at some point but for now I’m glad to have some space where I keep my open bottles for a new bottle or 2 over the next few weeks.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!