Pumpkin Ale

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Being fall, and Halloween in particular, I am once again sampling this years seasonal pumpkin ales. Some of these beers use actual pumpkin in the mash, while others simply add "pumpkin spice" to the finished beer. My favorite is "Pumpkinhead" by The Shipyard brewery. Does anyone else enjoy pumpkin ales and if so, which are your favorites?

The Shipyard Brewery

Southhampton Pumpkin Ale and the WeyerBacher Imperial Pumpkin are my two favorites. I enjoy the DFH Punkin' Ale but the rest kinda lack the Pumpkin Pie flavor I love in a good Pumpkin ale.

Is there anyone else who enjoys pumpkin ale? Gary, Jeff R, anyone?

Jeff, I do enjoy these. Recently in New York I had the pumpkin ale of Heartland Brewery which was good although better a couple of years ago when it was winelike and quite unique. I like when the spices are well-balanced and not too strong, and when real pumpkin is used (some brewers use a regular mash and impart the "pumpkin pie" taste with nutmeg, cloves, etc.).

Gary

I first tried this because it was a beer in the spirit of Halloween and I’ll pretty much try anything that’s Halloween related, now I look forward to being able to buy this stuff all year but I haven’t really drank that much of it in the past year since I don’t drink nearly as much beer as I used to. The stores around here also don’t seem to have as much of it as they’ve had in the past 2 or so years. I wasn’t able to pick up the Weyerbacher pumpkin ale at all this year which is a shame because I forgot to save an empty for my collection last year, better luck next year I suppose. Shipyard and Buffalo Bills probably make the best all around, the stuff from Weyerbacher is also pretty good.

edit: Thanks for the link Jeff, never thought to look for them on the web and I just bought myself a pair of Pumpkinhead pint glasses! :)

I tried 3 from this years selection.

The Shipyard, Buffalo Bills, and Dogfish Head.

I like the Shipyard from the Cinnnamon taste it has. Reminds me of my

mothers pumpkin pie.

For me the Buffalo Bill has to much Nutmeg flavor,but my wife loves it.

Must be the man stuff,Im not too much in to Herbs.

The Dogfish might be best balanced for me.

Not too much of everything, a good drinkable ale.

And in my bar I am serving a pumpkin ale by a Japanese micro.

Baird Beer Pumpkin Ale is on tap,well balanced but too well.

It could of been a little more pumpkinere.

Koji

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.