BOTM, 11/06: Jim Beam

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

"How can Jim Beam be 'the only American whiskey that has been made the same way … for 211 years' when Jim Beam Bourbon has been made for only about 70 years and 1795 was 69 years before Jim Beam was born?

One wonders about thing like this. Not too much gets past you Chuck.

Joe :usflag:

I'm tasting Jim Beam White Label. I am doing so in the interests of assessing a broad range of bourbons, especially those widely available. As I understood the concept initially, the idea of BOTM was not to choose the "best" each month, given too that many of us know what the best is and there is a finite number of "best" brands, but a broad range of whiskeys so we scope out all there is to know and maybe find some surprises, confirm preconceptions, whatever.

Therefore, those interested in BOTM might consider contributing their thoughts. I respect all the palates on the board and learn from each one.

There is a marked grain smell to the whiskey, probably it is mostly the rye but also the way it combines with the signature Beam wood taste (not very charred - even at older ages and in the form say of Baker's). Maybe the yeast does some of this work too.

The taste is grainy again but quite sweet and (in this sample anyway) very soft and smooth on the finish. A second taste discloses something more behind these forward, uncomplex flavors, something fruity-like, not black fruit but apple/pear-like. This invites a third sip and suddenly the whiskey is less forward in taste but somehow more drinkable, as if things "even out" (whereas your finely calibrated wheater may taste great on first sip but often loses savor on the second go-around).

This is good whiskey - solid, tasty, worth the money. Not the best, maybe even at its price point, but pretty good, and another thing: most people (in the market at large) will drink it in a cocktail, with Coke, or on ice. I am sure the taste of the Beam whiskeys is designed (at least today, if not say in 1980) to come through the chill shock of ice or the taste overload of Coke and not just that, but to paint a picture - to create a sensory memory for the drinker. That's good strategy on the part of Beam Brands. If your bourbon and coke tastes more or less like a blended whisky or Canadian and cola, why will someone call for Beam and cola next time?

Let me put it this way: given a choice between a rocks Beam White and a rocks FRSB, I'll take the Beam. I admire FRSB greatly but it is as delicate a single barrel whiskey as I know. Douse it with ice and it loses a lot of its qualities. And I do want a rocks drink sometimes, e.g., in summer, or if I am "nursing".

This whiskey is the Beam standard, Baker's and most others in the Beam line are not that different. Yes, maybe the others are a bit more caramel-tasting or higher in proof, but the building blocks are the Beam white profile (except perhaps for KC).

It's good stuff. Next time I am in a restaurant with a line-up of Beam White, Maker's Mark and Jack Daniels Black Label, I'll choose the Beam White.

Gary

I'm tasting Jim Beam White Label. I am doing so in the interests of assessing a broad range of bourbons, especially those widely available. As I understood the concept initially, the idea of BOTM was not to choose the "best" each month, given too that many of us know what the best is and there is a finite number of "best" brands, but a broad range of whiskeys so we scope out all there is to know and maybe find some surprises, confirm preconceptions, whatever.

Therefore I urge those interested in BOTM to contribute their thoughts. I respect all the palates on the board and learn from each one.

Okay, I had no intention of participating in this BOTM, but you have convinced me that it is the correct and proper thing to do. I will buy a small bottle of Jim Beam as soon as I can and provide my insights.

Thanks, Gary.

Tim

Tim,

One good thing about this BOTM is the widespread availability of 50 ml. bottles. I picked up a couple today here in outback Arizona.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Well, it just so happens that when I was at the liquor store today I bought 1L of Jim Beam white label for use at a party. After I got home I found this thread and figured why not join the forum and post my tasting thoughts on the Jim Beam White Label. As a warning I have very little qualitative tasting experience. Though I have had a few good bourbons before (Van Winkle).

This first thing that struck me was how weak the smell was when compared with many of the other bourbon's I've had.

In terms of the taste, it was very soft, kind of sweet, and actually decently smooth. There wasn't much in the way of a fade. It sort of just came and went and that was it until the next sip.

It definitely wasn't the worst tasting whiskey I've ever had (read: I'm a college student) nor was it anywhere near the best. But, it will get the job done tonight and it will do it quite well.

Cheers,

Andrew

Well....

I have been holding off on this post for a while. Jim Beam is what first got me into bourbon. Scratch that, Hank Jr. singing about Jim Beam is what got me into bourbon. I started drinking JB as a shot, or mixed with Coke, and since I found this website I haven't dranken it since. I expound (proper grammar?) my horizons and have been busy trying other stuff in the meantime. Tonight, I revisited my ole' friend.

I found this to be much more palatable than what I was expecting. It was quite a bit easier to drink than I recall (perhaps my bottle of Booker's or GTS had something to do with that). The flavors are not that complex, nor are they boring. I was satisfied with this drink. It was not bad, but it was not great either.

I think that I have not given JB the fair evaluation that it deserves, and I think a lot of others are in the same boat. This is NOT bad whiskey. This bottle will be in my stash at all times from now on.

I will admit that while I don't drink the ye old White Label anymore. I have, nearly all of us have at one time or another and it gave us our first baby steps into the hall of Bourbon Greats. Jim Beam White is the top seller of Jim Beam disterilly and provides much of the revenue geneated by a giant, that now produces many gems as well. We all do owe a debt to this White Labeled giant for ushering us into a great pasttime we all no and love. So tonight, I'll raise my glass to Jim Beam. Thank you.

Well, it just so happens that when I was at the liquor store today I bought 1L of Jim Beam white label for use at a party. After I got home I found this thread and figured why not join the forum and post my tasting thoughts on the Jim Beam White Label. As a warning I have very little qualitative tasting experience. Though I have had a few good bourbons before (Van Winkle).

This first thing that struck me was how weak the smell was when compared with many of the other bourbon's I've had.

In terms of the taste, it was very soft, kind of sweet, and actually decently smooth. There wasn't much in the way of a fade. It sort of just came and went and that was it until the next sip.

It definitely wasn't the worst tasting whiskey I've ever had (read: I'm a college student) nor was it anywhere near the best. But, it will get the job done tonight and it will do it quite well.

Cheers,

Andrew

Nice post, Andrew. Welcome aboard. Ah...to be in college in the fall...on a liquor run before a party...brings back great memories! My advice to you would be to stay in college as long as you can (that is, if you specifically are not paying for it:D) Nothing wrong with a 6 or 7 year plan. It may curtail the quality of whiskey you'll be able to afford, but it beats shleppin for The Man. BTW, what college?

Cheers!

JOE

As I understood the concept initially, the idea of BOTM was not to choose the "best" each month, given too that many of us know what the best is and there is a finite number of "best" brands, but a broad range of whiskeys so we scope out all there is to know and maybe find some surprises, confirm preconceptions, whatever.

Gary

Cheers, Gary, to an inspiring post!

I´d hoped to add my own musings this weekend but my local liquor store only had the 700 ml in stock. I bottled out, so to speak, and instead asked them to restock the 350 ml. After reading your post, maybe I should have stuck with the larger bottle?

I agree completely with your thoughts about the nature of the BOTM-thread. Maybe the differences in attitude comes down to the fact that people here are at different stages of their bourbon exploration?

Those who are relatively new to the game might feel that stuff like Beam white is history - something that they have left behind? The ones with many years behind them, on the other hand, have possibly developed a more, erm, academic approach towards bourbon and whiskey in general? I for one, often lament the fact that most of the "everyday" bourbons are unavailable to me. I have, for instance, never laid my eyes on a bottle of Ten High.

There must be something to it, methinks. Surely, a small bottle of Beam white can´t have a devastating effect on one´s budget?

A lot of it is psychological for me. Like a few other states out there, we have limited offerings. JB is readily available, WT, Maker's Mark, etc. The challenge of finding things that are not readily available or that are not made any more and then tasting them is a substantial part of the entertainment.

I don't feel like I'm being a liquor snob, but in the back of my mind I know I can walk over to the shelf and pick these up anytime. So getting myself to do it is a challenge. I've already begun to pick up a few, but at a snails pace.

Last fall was an eye opener for me at Bettye Jo's. During the tasting, I came to realize I needed to try and back track and try some of the bourbons that I can get here. The only time I tried any WT bourbon product was there (except the rye which I have tried here). I've never tried Bookers, Knob creek, Maker's Mark, and the list could go on.

To my credit since Bettye Jo's, I've tried OGD BIB and love it. I have a bottle of JB black here and will pick up a 50ml of the white and do a side by side in the next few days. It's difficult though, especially with this particular brand, because unlike many here, I feel like this one is what kept me away from Bourbon for many years.

During this years sampler ( 2006) I had a drink of Beam White from their table, I think it was the 4 but it could have been the 7. I think this is a great BOTM, Jeff.

This brand is also what got me started drinking bourbon, and at the time, it was better than drinking cheap beer in a can(I was in college back then). I have had the 7yr. and Black label as well as the Bonded 100 proof that no longer is sold. While black label is my favorite, I must admit there are much worse brands that could occupy your glass than JB white!

Thomas

The BOTM for me was always about tastimg something new. Lately I have had many of the botlles or had tasted them before. I have had my share of this month's selction. I would drink it in "a pinch" also. If it indeed does pull the freight so that Beam can continue to do what they do, I should buy it anyway.

Obnoxious call on the White Label Jeff!

If nothing else, the feedback will be interesting and entertaining, and won't result in a hideous love fest.

Two admissions: I haven't had any JB in quite a while. I also don't care for the line, there is some element of the family flavor profile that stikes me wrong.

So in the interest of fairness I went out and picked up some white and black label.

White Label (4yo): The nose is very fruity and reminds me of white dog (spirit fresh off the still). The flavor is sweet and raw. It continues to remind me of white dog. The finish has flavors of cinnamon and perhaps the tiniest hint of chocolate. This isn't a BAD bourbon, but it isn't very charming either.

I followed up with a glass of black label. Much better! This would be fine for bar drinking or a travel bottle.

I still prefer AAA or HH BIB 10yo, and they cost less.

I came rather late to JB White (in the form of a 50 ml mini before it became BOTM). I'd say it isn't my favorite, but it is certainly drinkable, and I think it would make a good cocktail whiskey. I'd much rather pony up the extra bucks for the Black, or other bourbons in that general price range, but I wouldn't turn down a drink if offered.

I guess I've been spoiled by the other whiskeys I've had.

This evening, as is my chat-night routine (anytime I'm participating in BOTM) I started of with some. However this time i made a manhatten with it. I took the same care I do with my "good" whiskies, and it came out quite nice.

A "perfect" manhatten, using both sweet and dry M&&R vermouth as well as bothe bllod orange and Ango bitters, with a lemon twist Quite nice overall, but maybe a bit swet for my palate (odd, I never thought of Beam as sweet, maybe my pours were off) Anyway it worked quite well in this capacity...well enough that I thing this is how the rest of the bottle will likely be consumed, as it doesn't work nearly as well in my other preferred consumtion method-neat.

My dad drained an old decanter and gave me the Beam that came out of it. The bourbon was distilled and put into wood in 1964 and aged for 8 years and 10 months. This cardinal bird decanter was released in 1973 and sat on the my parent's shelves for years until my dad decided to clean out some of his stock and take these bottles to the auction house. The Beam from this decanter is very dark. It is smooth and sweet with a little cinnamon fire. I felt this one burn all the way down to my belly. It was one of those good burns that warm up your whole body. This whiskey doesn't even really taste like modern day Beam white label. We drank some of it this weekend while doing some construction work on my back porch. It hit the spot on a cool fall day in KY! I am going to keep this 42 year old whiskey and use it for samplers and side-by-side tastings.

Of course this is twice as old (when bottled) as Beam White.

A good side by side would be to Beam Black Label or Knob Creek.

I've tried some of those decanters ones too, and a 4 year old Beam White Label of circa 1980. There did seem a different kind of sweetness then, more a maple-like sweet even for the regular Beam White (which may have been more than 4 years old at the time).

The current line even at the older ages has less of that. I am not sure why. My best guess would be that maturation in very large palletised climate-controlled warehouses imparts different qualities and possibly more of a fresh wood character. Or maybe it is that the barrel wood used today is younger (but that shouldn't apply to Beam Brands only).

Or maybe the whiskey darkened and changed in the decanter and my 1980 bottle.. :)

Gary

JB White label?

Are you serious?

Sorry, but the last time I tried JB White straight, it kept me from drinking bourbon for over 10 years before I ventured to try Maker's Mark. I'm not taking that risk ever again.

I get the shivers just thinking about that stuff. :bigeyes:

Sorry, not gonna happen. I'll sit out this BOTM.

Joel

C'mon Joel...ten years is long enough to get over the most acrimonious divorce--let alone a bad whisk(e)y. :lol: I see where you are a newbie like me...as a fledgling neophyte to bourbon and SB.com I'm willing to read and try new drams. The information and wealth of experience on this website is somewhat overwhelming--but invaluable. The seasoned members here can do no harm :bowdown: .

It's good stuff. Next time I am in a restaurant with a line-up of Beam White, Maker's Mark and Jack Daniels Black Label, I'll choose the Beam White.

My thoughts exactly. In fact, this describes almost exactly my experience last week. Given the choice between Beam and Maker's Mark, and knowing that I'd be charged a premium for the MM, I went with Beam on the rocks. I have no complaints. In fact, I had two of them.

When I asked what bourbons they had, they also listed Bellow's, their well bourbon, but I passed on it. I had never heard of it, and assumed it was some no-age rotgut. I see now, checking the SB database, that it's a Beam product. Has anyone had it, and what's it like compared to JB White? I figure that's an appropriate question in this thread.

Chuck (the other one)

I appreciate everyone's input and patience with this bourbon. I realize this is not as exciting as past months, but lets face it, we were going to have to get to it eventually. Also let me say this, participation in the BOTM is obviously voluntary, but please don't post just to say you're not going to post because you don't like the choice. This will reduce clutter for future readers and for those interested in playing along.

Thanks,

I slapped my thigh as I read this BOTM!

It'll cause some outrage for sure but hey we're here to chat about whiskey (the good, the bad and the ugly!)

Like people have said it is an intro "well" Bourbon that is very easily available. If JB white was all I could get I'd drink it with no grumbles.

However, I can get Maker's, BT and WT 101 8YO for the same price in England, so it's a no brainer. JB white when I'm in a badly stocked bar and mixed with coke or with a gun to my head. It ain't great that's for sure...

ok, last night while out with some friends i thought it would be a good time to revisit the BOTM. i ordered two shots, to get a good accurate tasting. it was quite smooth, but with very little charactor. young char-woody flavors with a hint of maple sweetness, mabey a little vanilla came with. overall not a whiskey i'd seek out and buy, but not one i'd shy away from either. just kinda plain if ya ask me

:deadhorse:

My dad drained an old decanter and gave me the Beam that came out of it. The bourbon was distilled and put into wood in 1964 and aged for 8 years and 10 months. This cardinal bird decanter was released in 1973 and sat on the my parent's shelves for years until my dad decided to clean out some of his stock and take these bottles to the auction house. The Beam from this decanter is very dark. It is smooth and sweet with a little cinnamon fire. I felt this one burn all the way down to my belly. It was one of those good burns that warm up your whole body. This whiskey doesn't even really taste like modern day Beam white label. We drank some of it this weekend while doing some construction work on my back porch. It hit the spot on a cool fall day in KY! I am going to keep this 42 year old whiskey and use it for samplers and side-by-side tastings.

your thread has made me curious of a decanter of beam i've had for awhile, not jim beam....just beam! distilled in 1958, bottled in 1968. its a B.P.O.E, ELKS

centenial decanter. all it says is: Beam 120 months old, 86 proof, 4/5 quart. distilled at the james b. beam distillery, clearmont kentucky

this whiskey was VERY dark, and had a huge sweet maple flavor.it had just a hint of the cinnamon you spoke of, but not the fire part.

fantastic! although i only poured about one finger, its left a great impression, thanks

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!