BOTM, 11/06: Jim Beam

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, finally grabbed a 200ml Jim Beam white 7yo today, so can compare the two white labels.

First, the differences:

• 4 has a some fresh corn husk in both the nose and palate, while it almost has disappeared by 7;
  • 'refinement' -- there's quite a difference in the general flavor sense, with the 4 almost 'raw' (very little flavor till the finish, then almost exclusively corn), while the 7 is less like white dog and more like bourbon, with a progression across the tongue from entry to full flavor to finish;
  • both noses suggest cinnamon/Red Hots, but only the 7 manifests the flavors to any significance;
  • The 7 has a little finish, while the 4 is extremely short.

Similarities:

• corniness and cinnamon in nose and flavor (though, as noted above, to reversed degrees);
  • almost identical color.

Neither offends, but the 4yo is so innocuous that it can't be intended for anything other than mixing and 'easy-drinking' patrons. The 7yo, on the other hand, is really quite simply enjoyable. Granted, it's not going to wow anyone's socks off, or win face-offs with the barrel-proofs, et al, but there's nothing there to put anyone off, either. I might just consider picking up a 750ml bottle as a household 'well' bourbon.

Now, as it happens, I have a third 80-proof Beam bourbon open -- a 4/5-quart from 1975 that is 180 months (15 years) old. This is lovely bourbon:yum:. All those years in wood have added the expected maple/caramel- and vanilla-like flavors, but it also presages today's corn-husk/cinnamon motif. I doubt that I would recognize it as Jim Beam today because of its richness, but tasted beside the others tonight, its relation to them seems apparent. You might be able to dilute today's Baker's, for example, to 80 proof and have something very like this.

What can I possibly say about the BOTM that hasn't been said elsewhere? I have both good and bad memories of JBW just like everyone but I find it a really strange coincidence that just this last week, someone in the office took a seemingly unclaimed bottle of Target generic brand mouthwash and used a sharpie to scrawl in large letters JIM BEAM while marking out all but one word on the label which was right between JIM and BEAM. That word was "antiseptic". Now some here in my new workplace know of my passion but I have never discussed JB with anyone here. So even the novices seem to have something to say about JBW that we "experts" might not want to dismiss.

As for drinking it, when I finished my nightly pour of JBW last night....

Excuse me for not going further, I have to run from those bolts of lightning, they're getting close.....

Well, I have reconfirmed my prior opinion that Beam is remarkable for being both thin and harsh. OK, I can tell it's bourbon, not absolutely worthless, and fine if you want a sweet drink.

Actually, I have some nostalgic fondness for Jim Beam; in grad school in the late '70s, if we couldn't afford the WT 101, it was a frequent substitute. Now that I have so many more candidates, I wish I could go back.

Bob

We've had some good responses but in the arresting phrase of the cultural critic Terry Teachout (offered in a context rather than different than the present), one might beware the "anaesthetizing power of an unexamined consensus".

Accordingly, I (for one) welcome assessments from palates I respect - which is all of them - and who thus far have remained silent. I appreciate that many people (me no less) are unwilling to buy a bottle they feel they may have no use for. But minis of Beam White are widely available.

Also, we have had no reports on the rare Beam White 7 years old version.

Gary

Oops I missed Tim's note about the 7 years version, thanks Tim.

It would be interesting to compare 4 and 7 year old Beam of today to similar age Beam of the 1970's.

Gary

Jim Beam white and coffee is my morning tailgate drink. This weekend it was also my after game drink with a beer back. I found it served me well, not too bad, although I'd prefer Beam black. Not much of a review, but certainly drinkable.

Mike

I think I am starting to "get" Beam White and even more so the premium line-up. Or maybe they have improved in the last two years, I am not sure.

Recently I bought a mini-pack (minis of Baker's, Booker's, Knob Creek and Basil Hayden) and thought they were superb whiskey.

Each is clean, elegant, sweetish and pure-tasting. In the past Baker's and BH seemed a little coarse to me but the current samples are very far from that.

Gary

I have come upon a bottle of Beam Bicentennial Bourbon with seal intact is 30 year old Beam still good? don't know weather.

to drink it or sell it someone please help

I have come upon a bottle of Beam Bicentennial Bourbon with seal intact is 30 year old Beam still good?

If you're talking about the 1976 Bicentennial decanters, it's 100-month (8-1/3 year old) bourbon -- it doesn't age after it's in the bottle. Beam decanters are quite plentiful on eBay, and often sell under $20. Drink it!

Revisiting the Beam White 7yo solo tonight in an attempt to re-confirm my 'not bad' verdict while comparing it the other night to the 4yo.

Confirmed -- it's not bad. Light, simple, short, but not unpleasant. I've got plenty of better stuff laying around, but having a bottle around for marinading steaks, etc., might not be a bad idea.

Revisiting the Beam White 7yo .

Tim,

What does the 7yo Beam label look like?

And what is the proof?

Is it oily like the 4yo?

I have never heard of this until JB was made the Nov Bourbon of the Month.

Tim,

What does the 7yo Beam label look like?

And what is the proof?

Is it oily like the 4yo?

I have never heard of this until JB was made the Nov Bourbon of the Month.

Both 80 proof. Labels identical but for the top line: on 4yo it says "The World's Finest Bourbon", on 7yo it says "Premium aged (big red 7) Seven Years Old". I don't find either of them particularly 'oily', Oscar, which is part of what I mean by calling it "light". Very little body at all.

The guy who taught this California beer drinker how to drink whiskey, drinks nothing but Jim Beam white label. My mentor, who started my education in 1966, grew up in Tennessee and went to college in Kentucky. He still drinks JB every night.

Christ-a-mighty.. You'd think jeff called most of ya's mother a woman of ill repute.

I got my own issues with Beam in general, but after a sample of white a couple of weeks ago, i gotta say it really ain't as bad as I remembered!

Lots of honey and vanilla when it's on ice. Certainly a good mixer.

There are certain folks on here that will say anything with a VanWinkle on the lable is the best, and so on, but after the tirades against the MM drinkers from the last BOTM, I gotta laugh.

Just like women (or men, if you are of the fairer sex...or otherwise), there is no one that will stand as the standard. So they sell Beam by the tanker load... it must appeal to SOMEBODY to sell that much.

I always say there is no BEST bourbon... they all have certain qualities that are enjoyable. IMO, a better measure would be value, i.e. "bang for the buck"

Beam white would be on that list, moreso than it's sister whiskey, Basil Hayden.

Having said that, my personal opinion is that Beam Black is a far superior VALUE over Beam White. White is worthy of BOTM on it's own merits.

Certainly a good mixer.

I prefer my bourbon and cokes to be made with Beam white label. Other bourbons, including Beam Black may make a more rounded or smoother drink when mixed with cola, but there is something about Beam white that I prefer over others.

But it's that same character that I prefer in cola that makes me dislike Beam white neat. What's the opoosite of smooth? Astringency?

Now, the value proposition. When there are many other bourbons that I prefer over Beam that are less expensive, I can't call either the white label or black label a exceptional value. But, they do serve their purpose and when I want a bourbon and coke, there is no substitute.

Finally, nice choice on the BOTM. We are here to appreciate the full range of bourbon, and appreciating all ends of the spectrum makes us appreciate our favorites that much more.

I had only tasted JB White once before. And, of course, I realized I had never purchased a bottle of the White until a few days ago in response to BOTM. Definitely young, yeasty, with a little bit of that tasty burnt chocolate profile I find and enjoy in some of the OGD's. Just not very deep. Rather pedestrian. But not bad by any means. Probably would be nice on those evenings when you don't want to be challenged by a robust pour, but just want to sit back and have an easy drink. Not the best, but drinkable nonetheless.

I am reminded of my first visit to Bardstown as a newbie to Bourbonia at the 2004 KBF, where the General Nelson had a mini of JB White in the room upon our arrival. After a 5-1/2 hour drive there from Atlanta, Troyce (Co-founder and lame-duck president of the fledgling Georgia Bourbon Society) and I opened it up and immediately drank it in the plastic hotel cups. "Look Jim! Free bourbon! This is the greatest day of my life!!" :D Maybe it was the anticipation of spending 4 days in Bourbon Nirvana, maybe I'm easily amused, or maybe the Taco Bell lunch killed my taste buds, but that Beam tasted absolutely terrific at that time! :o

JOE

Beam White Label 4-year-old is a bit lacking--not bad by any means, at at the risk of sounding like an idiot I like it a bit better than Maker's Mark, which has always been a little too sweet for my taste. However, if buying White Label, make sure you get the 7-years-old variety, as it's much more complex than the 4, and seems to be smoother and have a better finish.

It's actually a remarkably good bourbon for a casual drink--not especially refined, but mild, flavorful, easy-to-drink, and a good mixer if you like mix drinks (I've always believed it daft to mix bourbon except perhaps with other liquors). Better over ice than neat, but never, ever chill it. If it's cold for any reason other than being iced, it's not gonna taste that good.

Tis the season, buddys coming over and getting into my bar. i love sharing as long as its done right. some always drinks bourbon with cola,and they must have the best. yep they want the wild turkey single barrel. makes me cringe, so i use the old pewter top bottle and fill it with Jim Beam. They taste it and start raving it was the best they ever had. so question this, power of suggestion or just good bourbon?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!