Air Travel with Bourbon

plaidford
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I haven't travelled by air since the TSA implemented the liquid limits on planes. I'm assuming those regulations mean that any bourbon brought on to planes has to be checked in luggage.

I know many of you were just in Bardstown - anyone have experience with checking carrying boubon in your checked luggage?

I'm going on a little trip to TN next week and will be doing a bit of driving around...thought I might find a bottle or two and was wondering what my best option in getting it home, if I do.

On a flight about a month ago, I had a 50ml bottle that I put into my clear plastic bag for liquids in bottles of 3 oz. or less. The TSA agent gave it a long and curious examination, but decided it was okay.

Anything larger than 3 oz. needs to be in checked baggage. However, if you buy something in Duty Free and they deliver it to you on the plane, that's not a problem, unless you are going to go through security subsequently.

We brought a few bottles back from Bardstown in our checked luggage. Everything made it. Be sure to pack it well. I'm sure you have seen the pictures of baggage handlers throwing baggage around.

Joe :usflag:

I imagine the same restrictions apply to checked baggage - 5 liters (if your luggage can carry that much!)

Guess I might have to take a larger suitcase than I need so I have room for a couple of bottles on the way home.

Driving trips are so much easier when bourbon hunting is involved.

When packing bottles in luggage, I find it convenient to wrap them in towels. Not only do the provide great padding, they also absorb well in case a leak occurs. Also, be aware that most airlines charge hefty fees for luggage that exceeds 50lbs. I don't know that the 5 liter limit applies to checked luggage, but it wouldn't suprise me!

Thomas

However, if you buy something in Duty Free and they deliver it to you on the plane, that's not a problem, unless you are going to go through security subsequently.

I stopped by thew duty free shop in Osaka and was going to buy a bottle of WT 12 to bring to the States and they told me., "No sorry. If you are going to the States we can't sell it to you. " I can only hope that I can get into the Osaka duty free on the way home. The Chicago Duty Free was pretty bleak, what I saw of it.

Ed

I was in the Ohare duty free in mid October. I picked up some WT sherry signature. The only other unusual thing they had was the JD silver select.

Craig

I stopped by thew duty free shop in Osaka and was going to buy a bottle of WT 12 to bring to the States and they told me., "No sorry. If you are going to the States we can't sell it to you. " I can only hope that I can get into the Osaka duty free on the way home. The Chicago Duty Free was pretty bleak, what I saw of it.

Ed

Ed, I stopped by the Duty Free shop in Kuala Lumpur on the way home 3 weeks ago - there was very little to excite there either. I had pictured myself bringing 4 or 5 new bottles home, but ended up coming home empty handed.

I just returned from Tennessee last night and thought I'd give a quick update.

I returned with a bottle of Saz Jr and an Eagle Rare 10 year old 101 proof.

I had taken with me 2 empty gift boxes that a friend had brought bottles of FRSB to me in this summer, as well as some bubble wrap. For the return trip, I wrapped the bottles in the bubble wrap, put them in the gift boxes, and then placed each of the boxes inside a plastic bag (used the bags that the hotel had in the closet to be used for sending clothes to dry cleaning). I then placed these in a duffel bag, of all things, surrounded by clothes, shoes, and toiletry bag.

Both bottles made it home with no problems. I was a bit surprised to not even find the TSA pamphlet in the bag -- the one that lets you know that they've looked through your bag.

A little side story -- I found the Eagle Rare in a liquor store in Dickson, TN (about 40 miles from Nashville). While I was there, I met smokinjoe from this board. What are the chances -- I'm from KC and smokinjoe is from ATL and we both happen upon the same liquor store in the same town in TN on the same day, at the same time. I was only in the store for 20 min. He happened to notice the Eagle Rare I was holding and made a comment about it not being available anymore -- I replied that that is why I picked it up -- and he said "you must be from sb.com", and that's how we met.

Anyway -- I was wishing I could've brought the entire 5 liters back with me -- but didn't want to take a chance with that many bottles in the luggage. I was willing to take my breakage chances with 2 bottles -- but not 5.

I recently flew with an overweight bag (13 lbs over) that cost me an extra 50 bucks. That's a hefty fee but in my case was unavoidable as the other bags I had were stuffed to the gills and I was running late! My recommendation is to always travel with two checked bags and keep one ready to swap light items for heavy if necessary!

We almost always pack an empty small (carry on sized) duffel bag in to the suitcase. That way when I find bottles, there's room in the suitcase on the way home.

To make a long story short, I got home with nine (wonderful!) bottles with no breakage. I will try to post the full saga later.

Ed

When my vacation was just about over I found that I had nine unopened bottles of fine American whiskey. Five ryes and four bourbons.

Rye:

Saz Jr.

Saz 18

Thomas Handy two bottles

Rittenhouse BIB

Bourbon:

Pappy 20

Henry McKenna 10 yo single barrel

Van Winkle Lot B

Very Old Heaven Hill 10 year old BIB

I wrapped them in bubble pack and then clothes. Four bottles in one suitcase, five in the other. Hoping that the five liter per passenger would apply to a three year old passenger. Apparently, it did. No questions were asked. I got to Japan and picked up my bags. Sniffed them to see if anything tragic had happened. No smell of alcohol. Whew! Breezed though customs. Checked in for my connection to Sapporo. There they told me that I could not check whiskey! How am I supposed to carry Nine bottles of whiskey on board? Finally, I understood that they would repack my bottles and I could pick them up at my final destination in a box they would provide. I got the bottles out of the suitcases, unwrapped them down to the bubble wrap. They then wrapped them in more bubble wrap. Lots of it, (Thank you, ANA!) and I picked them up seperate from my checked bags.

All in all, a very happy ending!

Ed

That connceting flight to Sapporo had me sweating a little, I'm glad to see you made it home safe with your scores.

What a disaster it could have been if they consficated it.

This is an excerpt from an article in today's Chicago Tribune. It seems pretty clear. The full article is here.

--------------------------

Passengers have watched security guards at Chicago airports throw away 10,000 bottles and cans of precious goods confiscated because they were packed in carry-on luggage.

Travelers have forgotten—or never learned—that screening rules are still in effect three months after most liquids and gels were banned from carry-on bags, airport officials said.

As the busy holiday travel season approaches, the Transportation Security Administration is reminding travelers to pack liquids, gels and aerosols in checked bags. For carry-on bags, the items must be placed in a 3-ounce or smaller container and zipped into a 1-quart clear, plastic bag.

If not, it gets yanked out of the bag and goes into the trash.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had good luck buying some 6 bottle, styro-cardboard, wine shippers.

These are good for checking whiskey when flying.

I took a wine shipper down with me to Austin but ended up needing all of the slots for wine, and decided the WT12s I was rescuing would be safer tucked back into their canisters with some small bubble wrap around each bottle to keep them from shaking around. Wrapped the outside of the canisters a couple times with large bubble wrap and was pretty comfortable they'd survive in a box with some styrofoam peanuts. They did. This was all checked luggage, of course.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.