A new concoction

CrispyCritter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I took the basic idea of the Red Hook, and twisted it a bit.

I used OGD BIB instead of a straight rye, and substituted Luxardo Triplum triple sec instead of maraschino liqueur, but still used Punt e Mes for the vermouth. A couple of dashes of Peychaud's bitters topped it off.

• 3 measures OGD BIB
  • 1 measure Punt e Mes
  • 1/2 measure Triplum (Cointreau would also work very well here!)
  • 2 dashes Peychaud's
  • Garnish with a cherry

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass.

:drink: :yum:

This is a bit less sweet than the Red Hook (and my RH recipe uses more Punt e Mes and less maraschino than standard). The bitter orange of the triple sec dovetails nicely with the amaro of the Punt e Mes, while the bourbon balances the drink out nicely - and the Peychaud's adds its own distinctive touch.

I'd recommend a high quality triple sec, not a cheap industrial variety. Luxardo or Cointreau, please. Quality booze makes quality cocktails!

Of course, it needs a name. Orange Hook, to reflect its Red Hook roots? Or, to take it to Chicago but keep the waterfront theme (Red Hook is a waterfront neighborhood in Brooklyn), the Lakeview? I'm too much of South Sider, though; I live south of I-80, after all, and Lakeview is very North Side. Hmm... I'll call it the South Shore.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.