Jim Beam Black Label

Forbes
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I recently purchased a bottle of Jim Beam Black Label. This is a bourbon that I have been drinking for a little over a year. After getting the bottle home I noticed that it had been aged 8 years. All the previous bottles of this bourbon I had tried were aged 7 years.

I found a review of Jim Beam Black Label that stated that it was aged for 7 years, but also referred to an older version that was aged for 8 years.

Therefore, did I happen to purchase an older bottle that was from the 8 year stock or has Jim Beam gone back to an 8 year aged product or do they change it from year to year or finally do they sell both the 7 year and 8 year version of the bourbon?

Is one better than the other? I have not yet opened the 8 year bottle.

Anyone know?

Todd

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Todd,

Beam is diddling with the 'Black Label' yet again. Now it is eight years old rather than seven but it is now 86 proof rather than 90. I remember when the 'black label' first came out. It was Jim Beam's Special Reserve and it was eight years old and 90 proof. This was long before Knob Creek. Knob Creek is so good at nine years of age and a full 100 proof it has knocked the wind out of the black labels sales. Unless the black label is on sale I always go the extra few dollars and buy Knob Creek. It's so good that you can spend more than twice as much on another bourbon and still not have as good a glass of whiskey. Knob Creek rules the $25 a bottle price point. Notable contestants are; Evan Williams Single Barrel and Russell's Reserve. I like all three of them and buy them often.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Look for older bottlings of black label cause they are the best. found 3 -1.75liter bottles made in 82 and bottled in 89, approx. date on bottom of bottle. life is good--den

When I first discovered the old Beam's Black Label, probably ten years ago, my reaction was that it was essentially Booker's at a lower proof. The later iterations were never as good.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.