BOTM, 12/06: Old Grand Dad 114

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, colder weather is upon us and there is no better way to stay warm than with a nice, strong pour of bourbon. We've been talking a lot about the higher-proof offerings of Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey, but this month we're going old-school with one of the original big-gun bourbons:

Old Grand Dad 114

Today, OGD resides in the House of Beam, and we should be thankful that they've maintained its level of quality. High-rye and high-proof equals warm nights ahead. Take this opportunity to rediscover a bourbon with a long and distinguished pedigree.

:893drillsergeant-thSound off:893drillsergeant-th

One of my favorites, and you're right, it is especially a good cold weather pour.

Love that rye sriciness with just the right amount of burn. Hearty and honest... a real stand-up bourbon!

The surprise with this pour was at that proof one would expect a big burn. It has some power but at 114 I was surprised at how "in control" the burn was allowing that Rye to come through. It is relatively inexpensive out here on the Left Coast, not to mention easy to find.

The thing I like best about Old Grand-Dad is that it is exactly what it should be exactly as it is. In other words, I don't find myself wishing I could taste it a little older or wishing for some other variation. It's a little yeasty but the signature taste is a sharp edge I liken to hot cinnamon candy. Some of that comes from the rye and some of it comes from the char. It's hard to tell where the rye stops and the char begins because they are so harmonious. It also seems drier than most bourbons. I get a lot of licorice on the nose.

I tend to prefer the BIB to the 114, but they are pretty similar. Both are old school bourbons that deserve attention.

It's a little yeasty but the signature taste is a sharp edge I liken to hot cinnamon candy. Some of that comes from the rye and some of it comes from the char. It's hard to tell where the rye stops and the char begins because they are so harmonious. It also seems drier than most bourbons. I get a lot of licorice on the nose.
My sentiments exactly...

What Chuck said. I didn't know that was what I thougt about Old Grand Dad but you nailed it. The only time I wished for a different expression was before I had had the BIB. Oh, I would like to try an old bottle one day...

Ed

Oh hell yeah. One of my favorites. This is probably the only Beam product that I buy even on a semi-regular basis. The right price, the right proof, the taste is great, the bottle is attractive. . .everything works!

OGD is actually what sparked my whole interest in bourbon. I had always heard (from dolts mind you) that OGD was rot gut and that it was the choice of high schoolers looking to get drunk quick. I'm glad I didn't listen to those fools and tried all 3 expressions for myself.

I found I liked 114 the best. I knew even less then than I know now about bourbon and the fact that it was 114 proof, yet tasted best when compared to the other OGD's confused me. I came here and learned more and I'm sure glad I did!

I was given a bottle of the 114 as a gift from a guy who's dad worked for Beam for 42 years. I think it's a pretty old bottle as the ones I see in stores now look much different. I'll try to get a pic of it posted here. My only complaint, if you consider this a complaint, is that I've noticed it's hard to find 114 in bars here in Lake county, IL.

Cheers!

This is one of my favorites, and easily my favorite of those that suit my wallet well enough to always have on hand. Never disappoints, and the predominate sensation is usually clean, upfront, spiciness. Sometimes sweet corn makes itself known, sometimes an earthy rye taste (like last night - I'd had an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie about an hour before), and I can usually find either if I try. But a spicy twang is always there, and never any harshness. Not really a long finisher, although the tingle endures, but a terrific bourbon that all should try, if available.

It's been my backpacking bourbon for a while (I'm not toting 80 proof on my back) and is still good cut with water from the tap or freshly filtered from a trout stream. But I usually drink it neat, and most are suprised that it's 114.

Sadly, I can't say if Beam is doing a particularly good job of matching the older ND profile, which some have described as fruitier. In my first, shorter, bourbon phase in the early '80s, most friends were WT drinkers; one guy was a OGD man, esp. the 114, but I didn't like him much. My only memory of the drink in that time is spiciness. But even if it's a little departure from history, it's good.

Bob

Crap! This sounds like one I would love to try, but the 114 isn't sold here in Virginia! :hot: We have the low octane version, which doesn't sound like it would be near as good as this one.

Hmm.. I do see we have Rare Breed on sale this month, as well as ETL and ERSB! :)

I really enjoy the OGD 114 and thanks to the folks here for helping me see the light that it makes an excellent Manhattan. At 114 proof I like to cut it a bit otherwise it is too astringent for me for sipping.

Did I mention it makes a great Manhattan :grin:

100322425-L.jpg

This is always right in my top ten somewhere. Sometimes top five, but always top ten. I fluctuate on my favorite lists. I just feel that this is such a solid pour, regardless of price.

On a side note, I was out at a dive bar in Indiana the other night. Oh, the delight on my face when I saw OGD BIB on the bar. It was *so* nice to be out of California....

OGD 114 is top-notch in my book, though I really favor the older BIB or 86's from National Distillers. A great pour for the money, but not up to snuff with the '80s expressions.

I enjoyed my first bottle of Old Grand-Dad 114 back in 1978. It was delicious, and sparked my preference for both OGD BIB 100 and 114.

I will say that I like the Beam-made OGD 114, too, and keep a couple of bottles around at all times. It refuses to be ignored--that famous OGD slap is always there, lingering at the first sip, but then I get accustomed to it once again and welcome the slightly high proof and very full-bodied whiskey like a favorite memory of times past. It has an honored place on my bar, along with OGD BIB 100.

Crap! This sounds like one I would love to try, but the 114 isn't sold here in Virginia! :hot: We have the low octane version, which doesn't sound like it would be near as good as this one.

Hmm.. I do see we have Rare Breed on sale this month, as well as ETL and ERSB! :)

I would feel sorrier for you if you didn't have those fine bourbons on sale. Stock up!

The OGD 86 proof is nothing to turn your nose up at. It is a good solid bourbon, even if most who like the line prefer the BIB and the 114.

Ed

I would feel sorrier for you if you didn't have those fine bourbons on sale. Stock up!

The OGD 86 proof is nothing to turn your nose up at. It is a good solid bourbon, even if most who like the line prefer the BIB and the 114.

Ed

Oh yes, definitely going to take advantage. Although it seems we have the more popular labels on sale every other or every 3rd month, only the larger stores here carry ETL at all. Haven't had Rare Breed yet, but I see it is very well liked here. I gave a friend a bottle of Russels Reserve, and it was quite tasty. We enjoyed it side-by-side with my Baker's. Perhaps I'll give the OGD 86 or BIB (if we have it here) a try.

This will be my first post as an 'old' newbie to the forum. Been reading and learning for quite a while though just recently decided to join. So, I feel like I've been here a while and a genuine feeling of being right at home. I was going to intro myself in the newbie section but seeing the BOTM, I could not resist jumping in right here to plug one of my top favorites - Old Grandad 114. Having a good pour of it right now in fact. For all those folks who say it is a great cold weather pour - a hearty 'AMEN'! It is about 15-20 degrees right outside my back door tonite. Without OGD, I might freeze just trying to find my way to the pillow a bit later. It is a wonderful, warm - and despite the higher proof, a real smooth friend anytime!

Good to be here - in person now - and always enjoy learning something new every night! Thanks!

I've drank OGD BIB for several years but only recently aquired a bottle of 114 from Binnys (shipped along with the BTAC '06) Otherwise I might have never tried it.

I find it to be less sharp and fuller, more charr than BIB but with a nice rye "spice". Is it older than BIB? or does the higher bottling proof acount for these impressions?

Either way I like it a lot and wish stores around here would carry it.

I love OGD 114, Great stuff and a great choice this month. It's also one of the best bourbon values out there. :cool:

OK, I'm finally joining the BOTM club and purchased Old Grand Dad 114 today for $24.85 at the only liquor store in town that carries it. This store services the downtown restaurant area, so they have a better selection than most. As one clerk told me, "It's really OLCC's liquor, we just push it for them".

Anyway, I love OGD BIB, and it might be a better value at $19 a bottle, but I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them.

Can someone tell me when OGD114 was introduced into the line? Does it pre-date Beam acquiring the brand?

I poured a drink of this for a friend a couple nights ago and he didn't really like it. When he left I noticed he only drank about half of the pour. I picked up his glass and knocked it back. WOW! This had some serious kick! Rye, yeast, and char! What a great night cap. I slept like a baby! Bourbon does not go down the drain in my house! :P

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!