Any Dickel Historians...

BarItemsPlus1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was reading in a book that George Dickel was first released(pertaining to stocks that were first distilled at the site where the distillery sits now) about 1964(or at least that is when I read it hit the store shelves)...

I have a very old bottle that I would like to be able to get an indication of it's date...please chime in if you have any info.

Cheers!!

A brief description...(can't supply a pic just yet)

Only a front label, the rear has a painted jug

Has a red tax stamp

AH ha, I found a pic...

attachment.php?attachmentid=2574&d=1146125113

The Dickel distillery is the featured cover story in the current (fourth quarter 2006) issue of the Malt Advocate. You should definitely track it down and check it out.

1964 may have some significance, probably related to the current plant. The current distillery was built in 1958, so the first year the whiskey made there was bottled may well have been 1964. The brand, however, has been around much longer than that and the original distillery was nearby the current one. My point is that I doubt Schenley, the brand's owner at that time, would have made it easy to determine when the product began to contain whiskey made at Tullahoma. If the label says "Tullahoma, TN" that might tell you something, though I'm not sure what.

If the label says "Tullahoma, TN" that might tell you something, though I'm not sure what.

On the bottom of the label it reads...

"Distilled and Bottled only by Geo. A. Dickel & Co. Tullahoma, Tennessee"

I have the bottle sitting in front of me so if you need any further info Chuck...

And thanks for your info, Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this thread. George Dickel, the Brand was introduced by Schenley in 1964. Before 1964 the product was Geo. Dickel Cascade Tennessee Whisky. From looking at the image you posted and from your description, I would say that it is one of the early release bottles from the 1960's. The United Distillers Archive had a few of those bottles, but they were all sent to the Distillery for display purposes. I hope that they are still there.

The first bottle design did have a jug on the back of the bottle. Is there a signature from the distiller? I don't believe that the distiller's signature appeared on the label until Bruno bacme the distiller in the 70's.

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.