What Bourbon did you find recently that would make a great Christmas gift for you?

photogjunkie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

George T Stagg, haven't had before this year.

I am into one now, the 2004 release.

From what I have hear the original 2002 release was the best.

So my answer would be the 2002 release of GTS.

Roger (Rughi),

What you said is exactly what I meant when I wrote, "KBD and similar companies have their role to play too." You described exactly the role of independent bottlers.

Unfortunately, one difference between independent bottlers of single malts and independent bottlers of American straights is that the UK bottlers disclose the distillery. In fact, that's their major selling point. In the US, they don't, and frequently invent some fictional pedigree instead.

The two marketplaces are different and there are some good reasons why US independents won't, and often can't, disclose the source of their spirit, but that's the one big gripe I have with US practice.

Glad I've got the Swedish contingent onboard, though.

I wholeheartedly agree with many of the posts in this thread. We have never tried to hide the source of our product and we certainly have never tried to mislead anyone by calling ourselves "The Old Pogue Distillery". Our name and our product were chosen for heritage and historical purposes, not to attempt to imply that we somehow distill our brand. We chose who blends our product very carefully as we feel they are the best and well respected and were the perfect match for what we are trying to do; namely, have more of the original Kentucky families who developed the Kentucky bourbon industry involved in the industry once again. As most know it is very easy to know who and who does not actually distill, and that issue itself has been the subject of many threads here. Honesty should be a premium and there certainly could be quite a bit of "outing" for those who cannot trace their product history.

All of us would like to see more "distillers" but the reality is it is nearly cost prohibitive until our government eases restrictions on microdistilling. Continuing to put a premium on "real" distillers will only lead to less innovative products and less overall selection. Julian, KBD, and others like them have led the way in creating products whose taste profiles are unmatched in quality which in turn has made the "real" distillers attempt to compete at that level of quality. That seems to be good for everyone. Roger's points on this issue echo my sentiments exactly.

Peter Pogue

Unfortunately, one difference between independent bottlers of single malts and independent bottlers of American straights is that the UK bottlers disclose the distillery. In fact, that's their major selling point. In the US, they don't, and frequently invent some fictional pedigree instead.

That isn't always the case though - sometimes single-malt casks are sold under terms that prohibit naming the distillery, and other times distillers have tried to bully independent bottlers (as in the case of the Murray McDavid Leapfrog controversy, which was eventually resolved in MMcD's favor).

Roger's points on this issue echo my sentiments exactly.

Peter Pogue

Peter,

Thank you for chiming in on this. It is nice to know that you stand behind your products, and are willing to defend them.

I'm thinking for Christmas I'd like a bourbon available that I'm not likely to pay the price for (mainly because I'm cheap) and that would include either the 23 yr old Evan Williams direct from HH's gift shop signed by Parker and Craig or a Pappy 23 signed by Julian.

My wife and I happened to stop in a local liquor store for some wine today. We don't usually visit this particular store, but they happen to carry the wine we wanted. Well, I started poking around in the bourbon section and was floored to see the entire Antique collection on the shelf. :bigeyes:

Talked to the store proprieter for a few minutes about it. They got 3 bottles of each and probably have 2 bottles of each left. At over $300 for the complete set they're all out of my reach, but sure would make a nice Christmas present. Unfortunately, my wife has finished her shopping for this year (sigh).

Any suggestions on which ONE to buy if you were only going to buy a single bottle?

Jeff

Ask the store owner if he has layaway and buy one of each! If you can still only pick one, get the WLW 2006 as it is Stitzel Weller whiskey!

Thomas

Hidden
Ask the store owner if he has layaway and buy one of each! If you can still only pick one, get the WLW 2006 as it is Stitzel Weller whiskey!

Thomas

I thought that we concluded that it was indeed NOT Sitzel Weller whiskey?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.