The Balvenie 15-yr single barrel

ratcheer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I went to my friendly ABC store this afternoon, having been intrigued by the Southern Comfort thread. They had it in 70 and 100 proof, but I didn't see anything on the label about the original whatever-it-was recipe, so I figured it was old stock and passed.

However, a display of The Balvenie caught my eye and I am now the proud owner of a $70 bottle of single-malt scotch whisky, 15-years old and single barrel. Something a little different for Christmas, I suppose. :blush:

I had a shot of it on the rocks as soon as I got home. It is as delicious as I had remembered from one drink in a bar in Atlanta, a few years back. Smooth as glass with honey-toned flavors.

Tim

Hmmm. There is an insert in the packaging that states that the whisky is not chill filtered, so not to be concern if it clouds up if it gets cold or when adding ice. No wonder it has such brilliant flavors.

Tim

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm an Islay (or other island malts like Skye and Orkney) man when it comes to Scotch. Each time I try a new Speysider or Lowlander I seem a bit disappointed.

That being said I think I'm going to have to get a bottle of this stuff!

If anyone is wondering after DrinkyBanjo's post, The Balvenie is a Speyside / Highland malt.

They also claim to be the only vertically integrated Scotch whisky producer extant. They grow the barley, malt the barley, distill the whisky, make and maintain their own barrels (yes, from wood that has previously been used for bourbon, sherry, etc), and age and bottle it. IMHO, that is pretty impressive in this day and age. It is the craft oriented production methods that so strongly attracted me to bourbon, with great pride in creating a traditional product. :bowdown:

Tim

I think that Bruichladdich is now doing the same. I think they handle all aspects of their whiskey from growing the barley to bottling the final product.

I've only had one bottle of Balvenie 15SB, but it was a very fine pour! The honey description is spot-on.

If anyone is wondering after DrinkyBanjo's post, The Balvenie is a Speyside / Highland malt.

They also claim to be the only vertically integrated Scotch whisky producer extant. They grow the barley, malt the barley, distill the whisky, make and maintain their own barrels (yes, from wood that has previously been used for bourbon, sherry, etc), and age and bottle it. IMHO, that is pretty impressive in this day and age. It is the craft oriented production methods that so strongly attracted me to bourbon, with great pride in creating a traditional product. :bowdown:

Tim

I tried the Balvenie at a Morton's Steakhouse in VA before Christmas and plan on picking up a bottle. I have a bottle of JW Blue lable, Dalmore 21 and Dalwhinnie 15. I love the Dalwhinnie and have found that I really prefer the Highland Scotch over the Islay and Lowland. I haven't yet sampled the Speyside or Campbeltown Single Malts.

I'm not really up on all this, but it seemed to me, from what I was reading, that Speyside is just a more specific area of the Highlands. I.e., all Speyside is Highland, but not all Highland is Speyside. I certainly may be wrong, though. :confused:

Tim

• 1 month later...

Springbank prides itself as the only distillery in Scotland to carry out the full production process on the one site. 100% of the traditional floor malting, maturation and bottling is done at the distillery in Campbeltown.

Balvenie is a fine dram, I have been buying up the 21 YO Port version as the price has doubled because of its popularity and new packaging.

If you can find one for $75-85, its well worth it.

• 1 month later...

Tim

Balvenie does, in fact, all of that. However, it should be noted that, even though they grow some of their own barley, most of the barley malt is still produced by farmers throughout Scotland. They'd have to, in order to keep their volume up.

I'm a big fan of their 15-year, and I believe their 10-year is probably the best value in the industry, and a great starting point for those interested in single-malt whiskies.

I've been a Balvenie fan for a few decades. The 15yo SB is probably the most drunk of my 150+ bottles. And while I agree with boss302 that the 10 yo founders reserve is a good value I think that the 12 yo DoubleWood is the better for someone to start with. All a matter of opinion I guess.

And while I agree with boss302 that the 10 yo founders reserve is a good value I think that the 12 yo DoubleWood is the better for someone to start with.

Ah, good to see someone else in my area posting on here! My mom and dad lived in Hanover for a few years, so I'm pretty familiar with the York area.

Anyway, the DoubleWood is an excellent whisky, but not exactly the greatest execution of a sherry-finished scotch-- it's almost like a slightly more robust Glenlivet (also sherry-finished), IMHO.

The best Sherry-finished 12-year scotch I've had so far was Glenmorangie's-- they have a knack for multi-wood aging that few other Highland or Speyside distillers can touch. Unfortunately, if my memory serves me correctly, the Glenmorangie 12-year series is significantly more expensive than Balvenie's DoubleWood.

Yes, Glenmorangie in general is more expensive then others in the same age group.

I'd be careful about such a broad statement that Glenlivet is sherry finished as it all isn't. I lean toward Glendronach or Cragganmore if I'm in the mood for a sherried dram but that is why there are so many so each can have their own preference.

I'd be careful about such a broad statement that Glenlivet is sherry finished as it all isn't.

It mentions nothing about sherry finishing in the Glenlivet label or website. The Pernod-Ricard website, however, mentions it.

I love sherry in my SMSW. With that said, Glendronach, Macallan 18, and Aberlour Abunadh are 3 of my favorite SMSW due to their intense sherry presence.

To stay on point of the original topic, Balvenie is one of my favorite product lines. The Portwood is one of my absolute favorites. I have tried the entire range at various whisky shows and the 12 and 15 I thought to be better than the 10. The New Wood 17 I didnt care for at all and woudve rated that one last. The 25 and 30 are sublime, although unaffordable. The 14 year roasted malt gets accolades, but is unavailable in the US.

The Glenlivet Nadura isn't sherry finished based AFAIK. Just as an example.

Having tried the Nadura twice, I am 90% sure its not sherry finished. Decent dram, but not one I will own at home.

• 11 months later...

this being my 'most owned' if not best loved scotch, i had to throw in a brief mention of the new 17 year sherry cask release.

i'm very much looking forward to a head to head between the aberlour 16 sherry finished, and the balvenie 17 sherry casked.

the former is one of my top handful, and the latter is mouthwateringly appealing. WHAT a chore, to compare them exhaustively.. ;)

I warn you though, on that Balvenie SB15, it's a comforting dram and you can get Very Used to having it on hand.

You might want to get one or two bottles extra. :)

Balvenie represents a good alternative to the been there done that of Glenmorangie and Glenlivet etal. Its good to give the smaller guys a try so to speak. Not that I do not drink 'morangie or the 'thelivet tho. As another poster indicated this drams popularity is going up and its harder to find the best expressions at a decent price. Still good when you can give it a chance. I prefer neat, especially with whisky at less that 100 proof as its watered down enough :slappin:

Balvenie represents a good alternative to the been there done that of Glenmorangie and Glenlivet etal. Its good to give the smaller guys a try so to speak. Not that I do not drink 'morangie or the 'thelivet tho. As another poster indicated this drams popularity is going up and its harder to find the best expressions at a decent price. Still good when you can give it a chance. I prefer neat, especially with whisky at less that 100 proof as its watered down enough :slappin:

Smaller guys? I believe that Balvenie is owned by William Grant & Sons, who are also responsible for Glenfiddich.

Smaller guys? I believe that Balvenie is owned by William Grant & Sons, who are also responsible for Glenfiddich.

Yep...you are correct.

• 2 months later...

I just had the 15 SB last night for my first taste and it was as good as everyone here states. I tried it after the 12 yr dble wood which was also fantastic. Tonight I'm going to take a taste of the 21 yr Portwood (as you can see I bought a set of 3 x 50ml taster set :grin:). I will probably get a bottle of each after this as I was mightily impressed!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.