Trader Joe's private label single malt bottling

JeffRenner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm out here in Los Angeles visiting our daughter and saw that Trader Joe's has several private label single malts. I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't pay a lot of attention to which distilleries or their ages, but I think I saw Balvenie, Glenlivet and Macallen. Prices seemed good.

Has anyone had any of these? How were they? (The Trader Joe's in Michigan don't sell spirits.)

I know that there are a lot of barrels that are sold off, both when freshly filled or when older, and which differ a good deal from the distillery bottlings.

Our son-in-law is out of single malt, and I think it goes very well with fruitcake (which I like, when it's good, despite its being the butt of jokes).

Jeff

Try here, Jeff, for some commentary (at least until they start getting a little carried away with themselves -- never happen here, of course:skep: :grin: ):

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4848&highlight=trader+joes

Thanks, Tim. I paid a bit more attention to the bottles they have on the shelf here in Glendale, CA, all 40%:

Lismore, NAS, Speyside, $13.99 (I'm away from my library, but I think that this is not the name of an actual distillery)

Finlaggan, NAS, Islay, $16.99 (also no such distillery, purportedly young Lagavulin according to your link, other sources suggest it is just whatever Islay is available).

Glen Grant 10 yo, $21.99

Glen Livet 10 yo, $22.99

Macallan 14 yo, $31.99

Bowmore 18.99 $39.99

They also have The Dalmore at $19.99 as well as three other distillery bottlings. I may just go with this tried and true one.

Our new Trader Joe's in Michigan doesn't sell spirits, nor do the big club stores. Wish they did, but our state controlled minimum price makes it unappealing to them.

Jeff

The Trader Joe's here in Chicago, at least the one I trade with, doesn't sell spirits either but I have been happy with my beer and wine purchases there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.