Bourbon Cookies

Empty Glass
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night I was mixing up a large batch of Christmas cookies, for my little girls pre-school party, using a recipe for vanilla wafers. As I was kneading the dough I noticed that my bottle of ETL was watching from across the room. That's when I got the idea that I should make the last dozen a little extra special. Two pours for me, one for the batter, a little more kneading and it was off to the oven. The dough got a bit slimy with that much bourbon so I chilled the dough for 1/2hr before shaping the it into 1" balls.

To make a long story short they came out great. You could easily discern the bourbon flavor which was very enjoyable and not overpowering and they made a good breakfast snack with coffee this morning. I probably should have put them aside. By the time I got home from work my wife and little kid polished off the rest without realizing there special quality.

Bourbon cookies...good for the whole family.

I was thinking of trying something similar. I was going to try substituting bourbon for vanilla in some chocolate chip cookies to see how they come out. How could it miss, right? :) If I get around to it, I'll post the results.

Jay

On Pauls Dean's cooking show I saw once where she said if you have a recipe that calls for vanilla extract use bourbon.

• 2 months later...

I (finally!) tried to make bourbon cookies yesterday. I used the recipe on the back of a chocolate chip bag and substituted bourbon for the vanilla. I could not taste the difference. I think the chocolate was overpowering everything else. On the last batch I added quite a bit more bourbon (I was using Old Charter PR 13 YO) and I could taste the bourbon in the ones with only a few chocolate chips. I think next time I'll try the recipe without the chips and more bourbon. :)

Jay

When making candies (usually bourbon balls) I use Bookers or Stagg for maximum flavor with minimal liquid.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.